i7 8700
Graphics
RX580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @bugsyraz,

I'd like to see if Process of Elimination can help to isolate the cause. Some questions:
  • If the projector is not connected at all, does the system work reliably time and time again with only the two 4K monitors connected?
  • Please remind me again:
    • Are the 4K monitors connected to RX 580?
    • If so, are both of them connected via DisplayPort?
    • Is the projector being used via on-board HDMI instead of RX 580's HDMI port?
  • Are the random freezes occurring (a) with projector connected or (b) if projector has been connected and subsequently disconnected?
  • Does the system freeze if projector is never connected?
Thanks for the quick reply, @CaseySJ

I'll keep the projector disconnected and closely observe how the system behaves.

The 4K monitors are indeed connected to the RX580 through DisplayPort.
The projector is also connected to the RX580 through HDMI.
I'm not using the iGPU at all since I'm using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

The random freezes did happen with the projector connected. As for (b), I'll have to watch how the system behaves and report back.

I have another observation to make though. When the projector is connected and I boot, the Clover shows up full screen on both 4K monitors.
When it's not connected and I boot, Clover shows up smaller in the center of the screen with black borders up/down and left/right. It's like clover scales up when projector is connected and it doesn't scale at all when it's not.I hope this means something.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Vision D
CPU
i7k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please note that Thunderbolt is daisy-chainable up to 6 devices per port. This does depend on connected devices having a daisy-chain port.

Have you already maxed out the two existing ports?

Hi thanks I’m giving the machine to someone and they want 4 ports but I told them they could daisy chain them . Also a thunderbolt dock could be used correct ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Regarding the 5700XT....any big difference on compatibility between the XT and VII....As I said before I lost my VII and I'm using the Vega64 on temporary base...So, I'm looking for the pros and cons on both ones regarding stability and performance on our machine....Saw in your profile that you are using the XT....

thank you

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the quick reply, @CaseySJ

I'll keep the projector disconnected and closely observe how the system behaves.

The 4K monitors are indeed connected to the RX580 through DisplayPort.
The projector is also connected to the RX580 through HDMI.
I'm not using the iGPU at all since I'm using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

The random freezes did happen with the projector connected. As for (b), I'll have to watch how the system behaves and report back.

I have another observation to make though. When the projector is connected and I boot, the Clover shows up full screen on both 4K monitors.
When it's not connected and I boot, Clover shows up smaller in the center of the screen with black borders up/down and left/right. It's like clover scales up when projector is connected and it doesn't scale at all when it's not.I hope this means something.

Thanks so much!
UPDATE: I've had a freeze without the projector connected. This was a freeze that recovered after 20-30 seconds.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UPDATE: I've had a freeze without the projector connected. This was a freeze that recovered after 20-30 seconds.
Did this happen when running a specific application or performing a specific task? If so, is the freeze repeatable under the same circumstances?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi thanks I’m giving the machine to someone and they want 4 ports but I told them they could daisy chain them . Also a thunderbolt dock could be used correct ?
Sure, a dock can be used. Most but not all Thunderbolt 3 docks have two Thunderbolt ports, where one port connects to computer and the other is used for daisy chaining. If buying a dock, always check that it has a second Thunderbolt port (with the lightning logo).

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Regarding the 5700XT....any big difference on compatibility between the XT and VII....As I said before I lost my VII and I'm using the Vega64 on temporary base...So, I'm looking for the pros and cons on both ones regarding stability and performance on our machine....Saw in your profile that you are using the XT....

thank you
The Radeon VII is faster than the 5700 XT on nearly all Pro apps that take advantage of GPUs. So the choice between 5700 XT and Radeon VII depends very much on your needs and your budget.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Did this happen when running a specific application or performing a specific task? If so, is the freeze repeatable under the same circumstances?
It feels pretty random honestly. In this case it happened right when I finished watching a youtube video but trying to reproduce it didn't work. Other freezes didn't seem to happen during any particular action.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I've just installed a Ugreen T3 (just USB-C actually) to Ethernet with the included driver but it didn't show up in the network pref.
So I erased all the network pref, reboot. Then it show up I was able to configure it like said in the manual,
except that as you say guy the AVB is not supported. Actually the tick box don't even appears, so I guess I don't have much choice than getting the more expensive way; The sonnet PCI or the OWC TB3 :((

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!

Wanted to say huge thank you to DSM2.Hackintosh for the firmware release and to CaseySJ for the awesome guides posted. My coworker and I have flashed 4 cards so far with the firmware so we can test our Antelope Audio interfaces. Thunderbolt won’t be at 100% until Antelope Audio products work as they should.

We did a bunch of tests with Hackintosh and our real Mac Pro 5,1 yesterday and here is what we found:

Mac Pro 5,1:

TB3 card is seen but nothing shows up in drivers page under system info. We have the card in slot 4 and open core (we think open core is all setup correctly) but the card still is somewhat intermittent. We do not boot in verbose with this machine so we do not know if any errors were thrown up during boot.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z170X Designare Hackintosh
Bios: F23g

Built In Alpine Ridge Controller:

On Mac OS 10.12.2, the built in Alpine Ridge TB3 controller has full thunderbolt local node, networking, AND works with Antelope Audio over TB3. TB3 must be plugged in at Clover boot screen.

Here is the IOreg from the working 10.12.2 build:
GQdQgM2.png

On Mac OS 10.12.6, the built in TB3 Alpine Ridge controller DOES NOT have full local node, networking, and DOES NOT see the Antelope Audio device as being fuliy initialized.

On Mojave 10.14.6:

TR Card with TB3 header cable:

The card shows up as RP12 in ioReg, so modified the TB hot swap SSDT to reflect that and now BOTH TB3 ports and hot swap work. The Antelope device is seen in the ioreg as connected but it still does not fully load into the system.

TR Card with TB3 Jumper:

The card shows up as RP09 in ioReg, so modified the TB hot swap SSDT to reflect that and now BOTH TB3 ports and hot swap work. The Antelope device is seen in the ioreg as connected but it still does not fully load into the system.

4DjtScK.jpg

Does not show as a usable audio device under Audio tab.

Both times my main observation has been an Error involving BAR0, which google says is the way the PCI bridges are allocated. Which makes sense since the Antelope attaches to the second bridge of the thunderbolt controller as seen in the previous IOreg picture. This then does not seem to trigger the drivers from loading since it can’t see what the device is fully. It loads in, but only under a generic device ID name rather than populating with the correct info sent from the device.

The Error:
aGXpM6I.jpg

Dh9pJ6Y.png

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, I am here to help give as much info as I can!

I can attach any other files needed by tomorrow when I am back at the workplace if you need DSDTs etc from each iteration of the build.

Again, huge thank you to DSM2.hackintosh and all the others who have been at the forefront of AIC TB3 Titan Ridge on Mac OS. I miss being able to use my Antelope on Thunderbolt now that I switched to Mojave and will do as much as I can to help make it work on all systems.

Last edited: