1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

It's been 2 hours that I'm trying to activate the AVB/EAV mode. Forum, network forum, web reedit...no luck
It supposed to be straight forward but I miss the AVB/EAV mode tick box on the SystemPref/network/advanced!
So I wonder if I need some kext to make it work with this z390 build?
The thunderbolt 3 works perfectly on my Apollo Twin mk2 (so you can add to the supported list if you want)
But today I'd like to connect my 64 tracks Presonus console with AVB...

Thanks in advance
You might have seen this already...

If anyone has successfully enabled Audio/Video Bridging (AVB), please let us know. I vaguely recall a discussion of this earlier in this thread.

UPDATE: Please see this post.
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 5.37.18 AM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is a quick guide to using the low-cost CH341a chip reader/programmer with macOS.

Pro Tip:
  • Consider purchasing a USB Type A extender cable such as this one to bring the CH341a closer to the chip to be read. This can be a huge convenience.

So I should not use the USB hub that is on my desk?

What is the final step after you have checked that everything is being read correctly and is the same?

Glad you wrote the little guide because I am not one to triple check stuff without being told.

Also SSDT to edit it would I just need to edit it to RP21 similar to the other SSDT for TB3?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the extensive and efficient guide....
After a major crash on my hack, I've lost a Radeon VII and the ASUS motheboard. Got an Gigabyte Aorus Ultra and for a month couldn't get stable. Manage to get the designare and in hours everything was up and running on. Long time doing Hackintosh and first time I had to give up on a MB (Aorus).
So, the thunderbolt in fact can only been used as USB C or not??...as per what I understood from the posts above on the iPad Pro only charges...no way to use as normal?
Thanks again CaseySJ for the hardwork in put the guide up....

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After a major crash on my hack, I've lost a Radeon VII and the ASUS motheboard. Got an Gigabyte Aorus Ultra and for a month couldn't get stable. Manage to get the designare and in hours everything was up and running on. Long time doing Hackintosh and first time I had to give up on a MB (Aorus).
So, the thunderbolt in fact can only been used as USB C or not??...as per what I understood from the posts above on the iPad Pro only charges...no way to use as normal?

Due to the 15 USB port limit imposed by Apple, the USB C port has been disabled as a USB port via the SSDT. If you want to use it as USB then you need to either edit or create your own SSDT to enable USB on that port. The Thunderbolt part has not been disabled, but only certain functionality is enabled. Hence why CaseySJ, and others, are working on getting a fully functional SSDT for it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Hello,

It's been 2 hours that I'm trying to activate the AVB/EAV mode. Forum, network forum, web reedit...no luck
It supposed to be straight forward but I miss the AVB/EAV mode tick box on the SystemPref/network/advanced!
So I wonder if I need some kext to make it work with this z390 build?
The thunderbolt 3 works perfectly on my Apollo Twin mk2 (so you can add to the supported list if you want)
But today I'd like to connect my 64 tracks Presonus console with AVB...

Thanks in advance

I dont think the NICs on the Intel motherboards support AVB.
Check this NIC out.. I think this would get you there...

Motherboard
Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Please double-check all steps, especially the sections of modifying config.plist in Clover Configurator. Don't forget the changes needed in RtVariables. If you run into trouble, just let us know.

Did the new rtvariables. Tried installer. The installer progress bar went half way. Screen reboot. Or looks like system reboots. But I guess its only the video output. Doesnt do anything. After a while really a black screen as if system powered down. (+/-10 minutes) Hit the power button. And there is the Mac installer. This is weird right? Or is this normal behaviour? From there I can acces disk utillity. The installer is called mac recovery which also is weird. Thanks!

Installer doenst go into verbose mode. Which also is weird. Is installing so ill report back.

Booted from: Boot macOS Install from Catalina --> Screen is blacked out. HD led is flashing so see that there is activity.

First reboot --> Welcome screen.

Installed fine. Now do the necessary post installation

Guess its succes. Moved EFI usb folder to EFI NVME. Boots up fine. Post intstall next. Still weirdest install I had. Thanks for the help. Report back when done.

All seems well. Doesnt boot up automaticly. So have to look in clover settings. Shutdown is slow. 10 seconds or so. Mojave shuts down under 1 second.

Thunderbolt works: Auto detects audiocard.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You might have seen this already...

If anyone has successfully enabled Audio/Video Bridging (AVB), please let us know. I vaguely recall a discussion of this earlier in this thread.

UPDATE: Please see this post.
View attachment 452798

I just tried my Belkin USB-C to ethernet adapter. No cigar. Googling, I found this:

AVB is only supported by the Thunderbolt chipset, so you require a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

The Belkin USB-C to Ethernet enumerates as a USB to Ethernet adapter, and the USB interface on the Mac cannot handle AVB.

I have tried both the white and black versions, they are exactly the same.

I have searched for a true thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Ethernet adapter but have not found one. The only way currently is to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and Apple’s Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. This allows me upto 128 x 128 audio channels in the MacBook Pro 15 2016.

I am not sure if one of these Thunderbolt 3 docks with Ethernet will work, haven’t tested it.

I see the (greyed out) AVB/EAV switch only when I attach Startech TB3->TB2->Ethernet adapters. No idea if it works properly, I've no devices to test it with.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I dont think the NICs on the Intel motherboards support AVB.
Check this NIC out.. I think this would get you there...

Correct. Only certain Intel NICs, such as the i210, have hardware timestamp support. (Don't think the Mac i210 00driver has support- my MacBook w/Caldigit TS3+ doesn't support AVB)

I have this Sonnet card (uses Aquantia chipset that supports hardstamps) and it shows the AVB/EAV checkbox.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I have searched for a true thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Ethernet adapter but have not found one. The only way currently is to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and Apple’s Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. This allows me upto 128 x 128 audio channels in the MacBook Pro 15 2016.

Can confirm that the OWC TB3 10gig adapter supports AVB.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Due to the 15 USB port limit imposed by Apple, the USB C port has been disabled as a USB port via the SSDT. If you want to use it as USB then you need to either edit or create your own SSDT to enable USB on that port. The Thunderbolt part has not been disabled, but only certain functionality is enabled. Hence why CaseySJ, and others, are working on getting a fully functional SSDT for it.
Please note that USB 3 devices will connect and function properly on the two Thunderbolt USB-C ports on the rear IO panel. However:
  • The USB-C cable must support USB 3.0 protocol. Believe it or not, most USB-C cables do not support USB 3. So look for a cable that specifically mentions USB 3 support such as this one.
  • The device (iPad, iPhone, etc.) must also support USB 3.0 protocol. As far as I know, only iPad Pros support USB 3.0, and only with third-party USB-C cables with USB 3.x support. The USB-C cable that comes in the box with an iPad Pro does not support USB 3.x.