Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey everyone - I'm still being plagued with pretty slow boot times. I've disabled debug=0x100 and keepsyms=1 from my Clover options.

I also wrote a parser for my boot.log looking for long delays between lines and got the below - the number at the end of the three dashes is the ms difference between two consecutive lines my boot.log

My suspicion is something to do with time clock (in Windows it's always reset) and OSX poking around for WiFi (I don't have any wifi cards installed).

Any other tips would be much appreciated!

Here's a copy of my analysis code for future reference (it's written in node.js, just run `node analyze.js > longboot.txt`)

Code:
const fs = require('fs');

let bootFile = fs.readFileSync('./boot.log').toString();
let bootFileArr = bootFile.split(/\n/);

for(let i=0; i < bootFileArr.length - 1; i++) {
  let line = bootFileArr[i];
  let currCols = line.split(/\s+/);
  let nextLine = bootFileArr[i+1];
  let nextCols = nextLine.split(/\s+/);

let dateRegex = /^\d\d\d\d-\d\d/;

if(dateRegex.test(currCols[0]) && dateRegex.test(nextCols[0])) {
    let timeStamp = currCols[0] + " " + currCols[1];
    let nextTimestamp = nextCols[0] + " " + nextCols[1];
    // console.log(timeStamp, nextTimestamp);
    let diff = Date.parse(nextTimestamp) - Date.parse(timeStamp);

// console.log(diff);
    if(diff > 1000) {
      console.log(`--- (${diff} ms) lines (${i}, ${i+1})\n${line}\n${nextLine}`);

}
  }

}

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ

Thank you for sharing the experience, especially the installation guide, which has great help for newbies like me.
I follow your [Mini-Guide] for 10.15.1, everything is well but the HDMI audio.
It can't output the audio through the RX5700XT HDMI port to my Yamaha AMP. (Line out is OK)
And I'm still not able to fix this problem after searching forum.
Sorry for my poor English.
If the information provided in the attachment is not enough, please tell me what other files are needed.
Thank you.
Hello @Sanperce,

Which Yamaha amp are you using? I assume it's a "receiver" rather than just an "amp". Others have also reported problems with HDMI audio when connecting through a receiver. First suggestion is to check the Yamaha owner's manual for any information related to connection of a PC. The other suggestion is to connect the HDMI cable directly to your TV.

See this person's experience:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi CaseySJ

The method 1 it's compatible for another motherboard like Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH?
Thank you for your work!
Hello @FormerUser-594785,

Unfortunately Method 1 is most likely incompatible with the Z97 chipset. You may try downloading QcQuirks directly from GitHub by clicking here and trying the default values.

Please note that if you're using a "proper" EFI memory driver such as AptioMemoryFix, then there's no need to switch.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Team,
need some help here. All was good until today, I started my catalina hack and it gave me an error stating couldn't allocate runtime area. dint make any changes or installed anything. can anyone help ?
Some questions / suggestions:
  • Are you using QcQuirks / FwRuntimeServices or OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000?
  • Suggestion #1:
    • Perform a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in the Designare manual. Then configure BIOS parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults. Please follow the BIOS Settings guide in Post #1.
    • Does the problem go away?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone - I'm still being plagued with pretty slow boot times. I've disabled debug=0x100 and keepsyms=1 from my Clover options.

I also wrote a parser for my boot.log looking for long delays between lines and got the below - the number at the end of the three dashes is the ms difference between two consecutive lines my boot.log

My suspicion is something to do with time clock (in Windows it's always reset) and OSX poking around for WiFi (I don't have any wifi cards installed).

Any other tips would be much appreciated!
There are lots of WiFiManager logs.
  • Have you tried removing the WiFi card temporarily?
  • Alternatively, have you tried turning WiFi off from the menu bar and rebooting?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Some questions / suggestions:
  • Are you using QcQuirks / FwRuntimeServices or OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000?
  • Suggestion #1:
    • Perform a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in the Designare manual. Then configure BIOS parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults. Please follow the BIOS Settings guide in Post #1.
    • Does the problem go away?
I followed your new guide for Catalina and used the files it had attached, will follow your steps and revert back. What I am surprised with is, how did this suddenly happen on its own.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
@edunon I've made a slight tweak to the debug version of this script. Please run this as before and upload the log file as well as the terminal output for the two commands. I think I may be on the trails of the bug, so we're definitely getting closer.

I've run the new debug script just after a fresh restart and making sure that the CCC script wasn't working first.
I saw both the source and destination EFI partitions getting mounted and unmounted, which I'm guessing is a great sign.
Attached are both the EFIClone log and terminal logs.
Many thanks again!

Attachments

• EFIClone.log.zip
    594 bytes · Views: 36
  • Logs.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 39

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** GC-TITAN RIDGE Owners **

@manfriday pointed me to this thread on MacRumors in which user DSM2 has publicly posted a modified Thunderbolt NVM for the GC-Titan Ridge that provides full Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node support. It also provides a link speed of 40 Gbps. There is a very simple Thunderbolt SSDT that works in conjunction with the patched firmware. Both files are in Post #725 at the bottom of the linked page.

Because I own the GC-Titan Ridge and an SPI Flash ROM chip reader/programmer, I plan to flash the modified firmware onto my card over the weekend and see if I can duplicate his results.

This is not for Designare Z390, but for motherboards with a THB_C header. [Correction: This might work even on Designare Z390, but it might require using SMBIOS MacPro7,1. Will do some testing over the weekend.] The firmware is specifically for GC-Titan Ridge, but I believe we can apply the changes to Designare Z390 NVM as well. But keep in mind that:
  • Reading/writing to the Flash ROM chip on GC-Titan Ridge is easy.
  • Reading/writing to the Flash ROM chip on Designare Z390 is very very very difficult. So the work we're doing with @Elias64Fr is still the best solution for owners of this board.
When DSM2 installed the modified GC-Titan Ridge into his 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 (yes, the $6000 machine), he got this:
QUICK UPDATE:
  • Managed to flash my GC-Titan Ridge with the DSM2 firmware last night.
  • Used a Reveltronics Revelprog IS under Windows to flash the "blue dot" Winbond chip (the "green dot" chip contains Texas Instruments flasher firmware).
  • Tried installing the modified GC-Titan Ridge into the Designare Z390, but it is not recognized.
    • This might be due to the fact that there's already a Titan Ridge controller on-board.
    • It might also be necessary to switch to MacPro7,1 because that sysdef supports multiple Titan Ridge controllers.
  • The plan now is to install it into the Asus X99 Deluxe II system (described in my signature below).

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I followed your new guide for Catalina and used the files it had attached, will follow your steps and revert back. What I am surprised with is, how did this suddenly happen on its own.
This can happen under certain circumstances.
  • Have you installed or uninstalled any components in the system recently?
  • Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2 (for native NVRAM) recently?
  • Has the system been hard-reset numerous times recently?

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've run the new debug script just after a fresh restart and making sure that the CCC script wasn't working first.
I saw both the source and destination EFI partitions getting mounted and unmounted, which I'm guessing is a great sign.
Attached are both the EFIClone log and terminal logs.
Many thanks again!

Looks like that did the trick!

This was actually quite similar to the bug we found some time back where disks would be incorrectly matched due to not being properly terminated.
In your particular case the issue arose because your source volume disk has the number "1". Your system has 10 disks (after virtual disks are counted) and in one particular scenario we were trying to look for something called "disk1". Due to not properly terminating this string with a space at the end, the script would match the actual "disk1" as well as "disk10". This would then lead to the behavior you initially saw.
I have since fixed this issue in my repository and the script should now work properly for you.

@CaseySJ this is important for you as well since we now have to issue EFIClone-v5.sh.
This also goes to show that my argument about never shipping EFIClone with TEST_SWITCH="N" by default has some leverage so I'd recommend we leave it enabled by default.

@edunon I would recommend you wait for Casey to update the script in the actual backup mini-guide and then try that version on your system again. If it works fine with the test switch activated and actual file synchronization output looks reasonable, you should be good to enable it for real.