Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CaseySJ, I've been away from the boards fro a bit and it looks like a lot has changed, from the sold move over the OC (at least to resolve dependance on free2000 memory driver as well as picking up native NVRAM. I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on migration to this more modern approach. Is everything captured in the primary build guide (starting back on Page 1) or are there mini-guides sort of sprinkled through out the 1500 posts that really need to be followed in order to be successful? Thank you for you guidance...

There is a mini guide, with updates, which also links to a mini guide for NVRAM. Click Here.

Correct.

I'm thinking of changing the default back to "TEST_SWITCH=N" so that it operates in normal mode instead of test mode. If there are no objections, I'll make the change towards the end of the day (it's about a quarter to 6am right now).

I would advise to never recommend people use scripts that modify their system on the first run without any control.
While the script should be stable, there are no guarantees. The log will still be generated in Test mode, that's what it's for, so that's definitely not a reason to disable it by default.

While with disabling the test switch the advantage is that the script will work on the first try, the disadvantage is that worst case, any and every bit of data on the entire system could be wiped. These odds are weighed extremely towards the disadvantages, so I would recommend always leaving the test switch enabled under all circumstances when first downloading the script.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this file is downloaded from this website (i.e. from the Internet), it may automatically receive a "quarantine" flag in macOS. Simply run Terminal, "cd" to the folder containing the file, and type xattr -d com.apple.quarantine EFIClone-v4.sh. Then quit Terminal and continue to next step.

I am having some trouble with this. Permission denied...

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.23.50 (2).png

Then when I clone the SSD, the script appears to run at the end within CCC, but my log looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.26.28 (2).png

And all of that came up when I first typed the command when CCC got to the part of running the script, nothing seemed to happen in the terminal.

I've split my System drive and Home folder, if that matters at all....

I am having some trouble with this. Permission denied...

View attachment 451388

Then when I clone the SSD, the script appears to run at the end within CCC, but my log looks like this:

View attachment 451389

And all of that came up when I first typed the command when CCC got to the part of running the script, nothing seemed to happen in the terminal.

I've split my System drive and Home folder, if that matters at all....
Normally we would remove the "quarantine" flag when the script is in the Documents or Downloads folder. But because you're trying to modify the file inside the protected CCC Scripts folder we have to use sudo, like this:
Code:
sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine EFIClone-v4.sh

CaseySJ, I've been away from the boards fro a bit and it looks like a lot has changed, from the sold move over the OC (at least to resolve dependance on free2000 memory driver as well as picking up native NVRAM. I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on migration to this more modern approach. Is everything captured in the primary build guide (starting back on Page 1) or are there mini-guides sort of sprinkled through out the 1500 posts that really need to be followed in order to be successful? Thank you for you guidance...
Good questions:
  • Regarding the move to native NVRAM, I believe this is something everyone should do whether they're using Clover or OpenCore, Mojave or Catalina.
  • Regarding the switch from Clover to OpenCore, I strongly suggest that only advanced users attempt this. There is no GUI screen, no way to modify settings right at the boot menu, no way to use multiple config.plist files and easily switch between them, no option to dump ACPI tables, and on and on. OpenCore is in alpha stage (hence version number begins with 0) and non-trivial changes can be introduced from build to build.

Normally we would remove the "quarantine" flag when the script is in the Documents or Downloads folder. But because you're trying to modify the file inside the protected CCC Scripts folder we have to use sudo, like this:
Code:
sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine EFIClone-v4.sh

Thanks CaseySJ

I just went back to square one instead and ran that command line whilst the script file was in my downloads folder. There was not any sort of confirmation from the terminal after I did this. But there was also no error message either. How do I know if it worked?

So now I have completed the dry-run, and not very much appears in my EFIClone.log. As per your update about the test switch edit date 15-Jan. But I only get the following in the terminal:
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 12.33.34 (2).png

And all of this came up at the beginning of the cloning procedure when I first entered the command: tail -f /EFIClone.log
When CCC was running the script, nothing came up in the terminal.

Last edited:
Regarding MemoryAllocation.efi, it seems you might be one of the less than one-tenth of one percent who needs this! :)
  • If using OpenCore, BIOS --> Internal Graphics should be disabled.
  • If using Clover, Internal Graphics can remain enabled. But in some very rare cases, MemoryAllocation.efi is necessary. You may also try disabling Internal Graphics (temporarily) and booting without MemoryAllocation.efi.

So I was using my macOS without memoryallocation.efi and with iGPU disabled until now. But I just discovered that Preview App and Quick Look are not working anymore, which is very annoying for me. After some research, it seems this could be due to missing iGPU rendering engine, or at least mismatch between iGPU absence and SMBIOS iMac 19,1. Thus, I think Ii have two solutions now, changing my SMBIOS for a value that wouldn't expect an UHD 630, or returning to memoryallocation.efi + iGPU enabled until someone find a solution for cases like mine.

Also, Iwas wondering, could changing the values of DVMT, Total GFX Memory and Aperture Size have a chance to solve this memory allocation issue?

Some people have reported problems with the Intel 660p. Have you tried a different disk? For example, you can temporarily install macOS on a cheap 256GB SATA SSD.

Did the crashes occur from the very beginning (right after installing macOS)? Or did the crashes start to occur several weeks or months later?
Hi, thanks for your reply.

As I explained I removed the 660p, used an external USB SATA III SSD and nothing changed.
All the components are brand new and they never worked properly. The boot issue started from the beginning.

Thanks CaseySJ

I just went back to square one instead and ran that command line whilst the script file was in my downloads folder. There was not any sort of confirmation from the terminal after I did this. But there was also no error message either. How do I know if it worked?
We can type xattr EFIClone-v4.sh to see whether the quarantine flag still exists. But in general, if nothing is printed it means the command was successful.
So now I have completed the dry-run, and not very much appears in my EFIClone.log. As per your update about the test switch edit date 15-Jan. But I only get the following in the terminal:
View attachment 451399

And all of this came up at the beginning of the cloning procedure when I first entered the command: tail -f /EFIClone.log
When CCC was running the script, nothing came up in the terminal.
The tail command shows only the last few lines. You can see the entire file in TextEdit or by typing:
Code:
more EFIClone.log

@CaseySJ up until now I had the exact same system as you have, but I can't seem to get the new OcQuirks Rev 15 to work. I used the files from "OcQuirks Rev 15 - Designare Z390.zip" as well as from the "Catalina Fresh Install.zip" but both give an error. I reverted back to OcQuirks-4.efi. Am I missing something?

drivers-UEFI.png
Above results in below

IMG_7533.jpeg

Back