1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ
OK ! all ASPM BIOS settings are OFF state .. then have you still, under IORegExplorer, pci-aspm-default property under RP05 to NHI0, with non-zero value ?
If still different from Zero, I should directly change this incorrect state under related register.
Yes -- unfortunately they still have non-zero values!

Motherboard
ASUS Z690 Maximus Extreme
CPU
i9-12900KF
Graphics
6900XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Same here, but I was curious and created a separate USB Boot with OC 0.5.6 (NDK and regular). I can't get the config.plist to work. Things are changing.

There were many structural changes within v056 (personally, I don't understand the version numbers; the re-arrangements I think would be better termed v060 or at least the next increment).

These changes involved moving items from Misc/Boot to a new section called UEFI/Output. Further, the vault related items in Misc/Security RequireSignature (boolean) and RequireVault (boolean) are now one item called Vault (string). If you don't use vault, which most of us don't, then this new item should be set to "Optional". If the new item Vault is missing or not set to "Optional", you won't have a successful boot.

You need to go through the Docs carefully, otherwise you cannot boot with an older v055 (or early v056) Config.plist file using the latest v056 commit. There are a few other more subtle changes, so again read the Docs carefully. The attached images are for the latest v056 commit.

Also, besides updating the OpenCore.efi file, remember to update the drivers with the latest versions, esp the FwRuntimeService driver and BootX64 modules. (I use Pavo's OCBuilder.app, to keep OC up-to-date.)

At the very least, with every update, before using, even within versions, you should carefully study the Docs, esp the Changelog.md file.

Attachments

• Boot-v056.jpg
    Boot-v056.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Output-v056.jpg
    Output-v056.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

Ok the hack is awesome, just one little thing, TB3 port:
I have power (when attach iphone)
Iphone not showing up in finder (it does when connect via USB)

I presume the TB3 port is getting power but otherwise non functional

Here's what I've done:
-reset bios from scratch with optimized defaults and ensured I have the following as per a prior post of yours, Casey:
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
  • And these two SSDTs that belong in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
    • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    • SSDT-DTPG.aml
My system report indicates the the Titan Ridge TB3 NHI is active, along with Titan Ridge USB-C.

Any further troubleshooting? I will attach my config file.

Thanks in advance, I am still in awe that I am up and running so soon with just a minor hiccup.
In order to avoid exceeding macOS 15 USB-port limit, we have intentionally disabled USB 2.0 protocol on:
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 1
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 2
  • Front panel USB-C port
You may, however, use any Lightning-to-USB-A cable because all USB-A ports support USB 2.0.

Motherboard
Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hello @CaseySJ, just to remind you I’m suing Catalina for video editing and graphics based work and wondering if I should do all of the post installation steps in the original Mojave guide. I feel the system is not performing at its best because:

• The playback in Premiere Pro is laggy and I feel like the GPU is not under any pressure or maybe not optimised to engage fully.
  • Encoding to ProRes, H264 or any other codec is really slow. Much slower than my MacBook Pro 2013. I feel like I should use the post installation guide to source where the issue is but I read earlier in your post that there’s no need for post installation when Catalina is freshly installed.

What is the next step a video editor who’s installed Catalina first on their machine?

Another question I have is:

should I switch to iMac Pro 1.1 for SMBIOS? I’m not really using sidecar but would want to have extra monitors. And if iMac Pro 1.1 is the way to go, is it just as easy as switching it in the config.plist?

Many thanks for your help. I have a fairly stable machine and am very cautious of tweaking it too much as I’m working on a project currently and can not spend too much time on troubleshooting. I do know though that the encoding issue has to be fixed as it’s too slow - almost took an hour to export a 30 sec ProRes HQ video. Thanks again

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @CaseySJ, just to remind you I’m suing Catalina for video editing and graphics based work and wondering if I should do all of the post installation steps in the original Mojave guide. I feel the system is not performing at its best because:
  • The playback in Premiere Pro is laggy and I feel like the GPU is not under any pressure or maybe not optimised to engage fully.
  • Encoding to ProRes, H264 or any other codec is really slow. Much slower than my MacBook Pro 2013. I feel like I should use the post installation guide to source where the issue is but I read earlier in your post that there’s no need for post installation when Catalina is freshly installed.

What is the next step a video editor who’s installed Catalina first on their machine?

Another question I have is:

should I switch to iMac Pro 1.1 for SMBIOS? I’m not really using sidecar but would want to have extra monitors. And if iMac Pro 1.1 is the way to go, is it just as easy as switching it in the config.plist?

Many thanks for your help. I have a fairly stable machine and am very cautious of tweaking it too much as I’m working on a project currently and can not spend too much time on troubleshooting. I do know though that the encoding issue has to be fixed as it’s too slow - almost took an hour to export a 30 sec ProRes HQ video. Thanks again
Hello @HackDeMac,

Good questions...
  1. When multiple GPUs are present (such as IGPU and AMD GPU), Adobe applications such as Premiere Pro will prioritize the GPU based on alphabetical order of GPU name.
    • If iGPU is called Intel UHD 630 and AMD GPU is called Radeon RX 580, then Intel UHD 630 will be prioritized.
    • If we rename the AMD GPU to AMD Radeon RX 580, then "AMD" comes before "Intel" and the RX 580 should be prioritized.
    • Have you checked the names of the RX 580 GPU in System Information --> Graphics/Displays or in System Information --> PCI?
  2. Before switching SMBIOS name, please check GPU names. We can rename a GPU by following this guide.
    • Someone recently mentioned that with latest Lilu and WhateverGreen, even SMBIOS iMacPro allows Sidecar to work! I haven't independently verified this, but it sounds intriguing...

Motherboard
z390 designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
In order to avoid exceeding macOS 15 USB-port limit, we have intentionally disabled USB 2.0 protocol on:
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 1
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C port 2
  • Front panel USB-C port
You may, however, use any Lightning-to-USB-A cable because all USB-A ports support USB 2.0.

Aha! Ok good to know, so it works? I didn't realize that the iphone connection is USB 2. Awesome, thank you again for all of this!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Aha! Ok good to know, so it works? I didn't realize that the iphone connection is USB 2. Awesome, thank you again for all of this!
Alas, iPhones still operate at USB 2, but iPad Pros can operate at USB 3 if used with our own USB-3 certified cable. Even with the iPad Pro, Apple includes only a USB 2 cable.

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Hello @Rulebreaker01,

Please remove the build guide from your post. Note the following:
View attachment 449713

Because you're using a Samsung 970 EVO Plus, is it running the latest firmware? The firmware can be checked and updated using Samsung Magician software in Windows. Please see NOTE 5a at the top of Post #1:
View attachment 449715
I have tried updating the firmware using a bootable USB disk but it is saying it has the latest firmware updated already....

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have tried updating the firmware using a bootable USB disk but it is saying it has the latest firmware updated already....
  • Are you installing Catalina or Mojave?
  • What version of Clover are you using? (At the Clover Boot Menu press F1 to see version.)
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort?
  • You may also compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of the USB install disk.

Motherboard
Designare
CPU
Graphics
Radeon VII
When multiple GPUs are present (such as IGPU and AMD GPU), Adobe applications such as Premiere Pro will prioritize the GPU based on alphabetical order of GPU name.

Hi Casey,

I thought this might be the fix for my one last little issue...

I have a Radeon VII and I need to use integrated graphics to drive my 3rd monitor. Programs like Final cut and others know to use the Radeon VII but for some reason, Fusion 360 wants to use the intel integrated. I thought this might be my fix, but as you can see, my card is called "AMD Radeon VII" (so first alphabetically). Is there any other way to tell a program not to use the IGPU? There is no configuration for that in Fusion 360

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 9.12.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 9.12.42 AM.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 52