Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

MacOS Mojave on my new 9900k build is up and running !! YAYY!!

Kinda run into a curious issue though, while it's installed and running OK, i can't see my hard drive in desktop or in finder. If i try download something it works great and all but can't figure out how to get the HD up there! Any tips?

MacOS Mojave on my new 9900k build is up and running !! YAYY!!

Kinda run into a curious issue though, while it's installed and running OK, i can't see my hard drive in desktop or in finder. If i try download something it works great and all but can't figure out how to get the HD up there! Any tips?
Do you have this checked-on in Finder Preferences:
Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 3.20.56 PM.png

Reactions: z4k
not sure if you remember me chiming in about this some pages back (was getting the stop sign). moving back to the previous duo files you referenced fixed it. so some combination of the 3 files and config.plist isn't working right. or maybe even bios
Yes -- which is why I asked @kwalter to confirm. What version of OpenCore are you running?
  • The trio was created with OpenCore 0.5.4
  • The duo was created with OpenCore 0.5.2 or 0.5.3
I wonder if the trio is not backwards compatible...

Do you have this checked-on in Finder Preferences:
View attachment 448498

Yep just found out.. It's been sooo long since I had a new fresh installation I had somehow totally forgotten about that. Thanks anyway and GREAT JOB on the EFI (I actually updated it with the 0.5.5 files and installed from scratch using just that), I've been up and running with no issues, going for some benchmarking etc. Super Excited :D

Yep just found out.. It's been sooo long since I had a new fresh installation I had somehow totally forgotten about that. Thanks anyway and GREAT JOB on the EFI (I actually updated it with the 0.5.5 files and installed from scratch using just that), I've been up and running with no issues, going for some benchmarking etc. Super Excited :D
You won't get that feeling walking out of an Apple Store! :) No challenge, no reward...

Can anyone explain me what happened, when i set smbios to Imac 19.1 with boot flag shigva-32 final cut pro timeline is powerful can stream simultaneously 4 4k 60fps video , but when export video in h.264 intel quick sync dont work and export time is slower, (same powerful timeline and litle slower export time as imac pro 1.1 smbios) , but when set smbios to imac 19.1 with shikigva-16 , timeline is not as powerful can run only 2 4k video simultaneously , but intel quick sync work well and export is faster , how can i get powerful stream on final cut timeline and quick sync on export ?

Nice and not nice!! I have several questions about this experience...
  • Did it take many repeated attempts before you could read the ASRock Flash ROM?
  • Or could you read it successfully every time?
  • What is the ID printed on the chip?
    • Is it Macronix (MXIC) or Winbond?
    • What is the part number (printed on the chip)?
  • Did you use flashrom or the Windows CH341A Programmer GUI?

• Did it take many repeated attempts before you could read the ASRock Flash ROM? - Repeated attmepts were required. The clip has to be seated a correct position for it to read. For the board, the chip is on the back (just like the Designare) - although I could access it without removing it from the case, Unscrewing the board from the case definitely helped reduce the number of attempts to get a correct fit.
  • Or could you read it successfully every time? - Every time the clip sat correctly, I was able to read successfully. Although the shasum in reads was sometimes different. When writing there were some errors (verifying failed/ error erase function not found/ error verifying chip in unknown state) which went away by erasing the ROM first and then writing to it.
  • What is the ID printed on the chip?
    • Is it Macronix (MXIC) or Winbond? - I have 2 boards - the working one is the MXIC, the broken board is the Winbond.
    • What is the part number (printed on the chip)?
      • Winbond - 25Q80DVSIG (1846)
      • Macronix - Macronix flash chip "MX25L8005/MX25L8006E/MX25L8008E/MX25V8005"
  • Did you use flashrom or the Windows CH341A Programmer GUI - flashrom on RPi zero and RPi3
I will try this later - PatchingNVM Osy's Github

Last edited:
OpenCore 0.5.5 here, DRM issue caused Netflix not to work on Safari with shikigva=16.

Switched boot-arg to shikigva=80 and all is working. (I'm on Sapphire RX580 8GB Nitro+ Special Ed. As I understand shikigva is GPU sensitive.)

My only issue now
1. My Windows Drive (SATA 3 SSD) is not shown at all in BIOS. On macOS I can see it just fine though. Gonna do some digging.

2. Also noticed that while FCPX performance is great, rendering out keeps GPU on idle and only uses iGPU which is.. meh. I know that I can change that going to iMacPro1,1 but maybe there Is another workaround to make it work with both (quick sync + GPU) as its supposed to in iMac19,1?

Last edited:
Can I just say a huge thank you to @CaseySJ for putting this guide together and for his continues support both on the forum and also for keeping the guides up to date.
I've successfully installed Catalina on my build and it's been fairly stable for the past two weeks. This is surely after I dedicated an entire week on reading and brushing-up my dusty computer knowledge.
A few little issues still with its sleep/wake, fan/pump control and even more work lined up knowing I'd want to get the maximum out of the cpu and the GPU. But this is only a start to an exhilarating journey. I'll keep dropping back in with questions I'm sure but just wanted to say thanks!

Back