Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Really? My MacBook Pro quad core i7 is much slower than my Hack. Not even in the same league. With everything, except cold booting.

On my Hack, FCPX flies, LR and Photoshop are nice and fast too, Logic Pro X runs better(in the sense of more VI's) than on a real iMac i9(I've compared these side by side).

I mean, how would the software know it is not running on a real Mac? And then it would decide to run slower by using a non-optimised library?
zipb, No Im not telling that my hackintosh is slower than a macbook 2017 in anyway. this is my 7th, 8th build hack since 2013. My 2 hacks now with designares are very powerful and fast for almost anything. In benchmarks the scores are similar and better than a 2019 macpro which costs 6k. All these years I have done many many tests to check my hacks against real macs with similar specs. So Im not complaining at all in regards of overall performance. What Im trying to say is... for example in fcpx while skimming between clips there is a lag when cursor touches the 1st clip. Often skimmer is not showing at timeline while im editing and i have to go to media pool to skim a clip and then come back again to timeline. Very very minor issues that I didn't notice in macbook pro. But! when you edit hours and hour per day, these little minor issues drop the overall experience. As I said on previews post render times and exports are much faster on my hack. The point I want to mention here is that its not always the numbers that benchmarks provide against real macs but also the overall experience someone has. It's not rocket science for someone to understand that with bootloaders and while using tools to emulate they system to behave as a real mac that will show up some disadvantages. That's why while I was doing a research about opencore and the benefits it provides against clover, I wanted to ask if this is a better method that getting us closer to a real mac. I don't regret ofc a moment about my hackintosh systems all these years at all.

Last edited:
Those SSDTs caused sleep issues, see this post

Sure, but be aware of using someone else's EFI. Hope this helps you out!
  1. With UsbKbDxe.efi loaded can you still use your keyboard's arrow keys to choose an entry in the OC boot menu?
  2. Do you use Apple Watch to unlock by chance? With darkwake=0 my hack doesn't unlock with the watch, I have to use darkwake=10 for that (allows more time).

Side Question: Since i'll be using my Metric Halo audio interface for everything audio related, should i just go ahead and remove AppleALC from kexts and plist (and its boot-arg as well)? Thinking i could have one less thing that can go wrong.

Ha. Another MH user.

Reactions: z4k
zipb, No Im not telling that my hackintosh is slower than a macbook 2017 in anyway. this is my 7th, 8th build hack since 2013. My 2 hacks now with designares are very powerful and fast for almost anything. In benchmarks the scores are similar and better than a 2019 macpro which costs 6k. All these years I have done many many tests to check my hacks against real macs with similar specs. So Im not complaining at all in regards of overall performance. What Im trying to say is... for example in fcpx while skimming between clips there is a lag when cursor touches the 1st clip. Often skimmer is not showing at timeline while im editing and i have to go to media pool to skim a clip and then come back again to timeline. Very very minor issues that I didn't notice in macbook pro. But! when you edit hours and hour per day, these little minor issues drop the overall experience. As I said on previews post render times and exports are much faster on my hack. The point I want to mention here is that its not always the numbers that benchmarks provide against real macs but also the overall experience someone has. It's not rocket science for someone to understand that with bootloaders and while using tools to emulate they system to behave as a real mac that will show up some disadvantages. That's why while I was doing a research about opencore and the benefits it provides against clover, I wanted to ask if this is a better method that getting us closer to a real mac. I don't regret ofc a moment about my hackintosh systems all these years at all.

I use FCPX occasionally, and I don't notice a UX difference between MBP and Hack. MBP is much slower.

I use FCPX occasionally, and I don't notice a UX difference between MBP and Hack. MBP is much slower.
All of my hacks were had these exactly minor issues since 2013 and every hack had different bootloaders, settings, etc back then.

@hylkepylke I see you have iMacPro1,1. I read elsewhere that this can cause SideCar issues and that iMac19,1 is better. Any experience on that?
That's true, Sidecar doesn't work, but I don't really mind that. Back when I installed OC, I couldn't get my iGPU to work, so I went with iMacPro1,1 and it's working great in Davinci Resolve, which is my main reason for building this machine. AFAIK the performance is on par with iMac19,1.

1. With UsbKbDxe.efi loaded can you still use your keyboard's arrow keys to choose an entry in the OC boot menu?
  2. Do you use Apple Watch to unlock by chance? With darkwake=0 my hack doesn't unlock with the watch, I have to use darkwake=10 for that (allows more time).
  1. Yes.
  2. No.

Hey guys

I am just trying to do a clean Catalina install. I have done everything through mini guide and I got Catalina installed.I have a problem in step 3: Post installation. After part that says to unncheck "wake for network access" I reboot the computer and it doesn't boot again.
I get following error:
84472282_1054380694900543_8975828160775979008_n.jpg

Even if I try to boot it with Clover on my USB key I get same error.

Can anybody help me?

Cheers!

Sure, but be aware of using someone else's EFI. Hope this helps you out!
understood. I wasn't able to boot with the OC package that was first posted here, so I just want to compare your config.plist with that one and find the differences.
thanks!

Back