Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi CaseySJ, I was reading a couple days ago a post of yours on this thread about the real mac performance vs a hackintosh system. First of all congratulations for your time and effort for the code of tb3 you and elias are trying to match from real macs to our hackintosh systems. This is a big step forward in hackintosh community. Now lets me go back to your post (which I don't remember which one is exactly as I was reading all the progress you have done last weeks with elias about tb3 progress). Last 7 days I borrowed a macbook pro 2017 from a friend with core i5 and iris pro 650 to test the performance against my hackintosh. Most tests were done in photo and video editing platforms such as fcpx, photoshop and lightroom. In most cases and especially in fcpx the render and export times were much faster on my hackintosh. But what made me shock for a bit is that the experience on macbook pro 2017 was much better in almost every section. For example fcpx was much smoother to use, skimming to clips was smoother also and the whole progress was faster to edit a video. I got the feeling with macbook pro that these softwares were working in a much more... lets say efficient way, faster way, smoother way... Im afraid I can't describe it exactly what I mean but Im sure that people with hackintoshes and real macs/macbooks/minis can understand what Im talking about. This is not something new and propably it has been discussed a lot of times in hackintosh community. Recently I got into opencore and red about the installation guides and the benefits of using it against clover. So my question comes mainly if with opencore and how the nvram is been processed by it, comes to a better overall experience maybe? closer to real mac or not? Excuse me for my bad english. I hope people who experiment with opencore on a designare z390 may share their experiences. Best Regards

When I click on your link the first think I read is:

"
**Mini-Guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 and Newer **
UPDATED 15-Dec-2019
MSI RX 5700 XT may not work with this guide. Please follow the previous guide (
click here). "

Again when I "click here", I can read (again):

• " If you have an AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT (or only have iGPU):
    • You must use the on-board iGPU to install Catalina.
    • You must fully remove the RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT and set it aside. We will install it later.":);)

But....I will try again.......
That link is only for MSI RX 5700 / 5700 XT. But you have the Sapphire model. I’ll reword that line to make it clearer.

Update: Heading changed to this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 1.21.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Native NVRAM in Clover:

Hello,

Since I was able to update clover to 5xxx and successfully replaced the OSXaptiofixdrv-free2000.efi without having to reinstall everything I'm considering to activate native nvram but because it's not without a risk I want to make sure that I understand everything correctly:

1. the procedure for unlocking MSR 0xE2 has to be followed if you don't know the VarOffset, which is for this motherboard 0x5C1 for BIOS F6, F7, F8, and F9b, I have F8 so it is 0x5C1, procedure part 1-5 is not
necessary anymore, only the second part to know how to prepare a usb stick with the special build of grub: can someone please confirm this?

2. if I use the link to the procedure for unlocking it says
  • setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0
but in the link at the header of this post it says

• setup_var_3 0x5c1 0
or it doesn't matter what you type 0x0 or 0 or it does, same question for small letters/capitals, c or C, so what do I have to enter? I'm not familiar with the syntax.

3. what can go wrong that is irreparable? Entering setup_var-3 0x5c1 with a different value then 0x0 or 0x1? Can it be repaired by flashing the Bios/Uefi again or do I have a dead motherboard that can't be fixed?

4. in summary because 0x5C1 is the Varoffset for this motherboard and BIOS/Firmware versions listed it is only a matter of preparing a stick with a special build of grub, change the value for the Varoffset and copy and delete some files, enter a few commands in a terminal and uncheck two things?

Thanks for confirming or advising differently.

Hi CaseySJ, I was reading a couple days ago a post of yours on this thread about the real mac performance vs a hackintosh system. First of all congratulations for your time and effort for the code of tb3 you and elias are trying to match from real macs to our hackintosh systems. This is a big step forward in hackintosh community. Now lets me go back to your post (which I don't remember which one is exactly as I was reading all the progress you have done last weeks with elias about tb3 progress). Last 7 days I borrowed a macbook pro 2017 from a friend with core i5 and iris pro 650 to test the performance against my hackintosh. Most tests were done in photo and video editing platforms such as fcpx, photoshop and lightroom. In most cases and especially in fcpx the render and export times were much faster on my hackintosh. But what made me shock for a bit is that the experience on macbook pro 2017 was much better in almost every section. For example fcpx was much smoother to use, skimming to clips was smoother also and the whole progress was faster to edit a video. I got the feeling with macbook pro that these softwares were working in a much more... lets say efficient way, faster way, smoother way... Im afraid I can't describe it exactly what I mean but Im sure that people with hackintoshes and real macs/macbooks/minis can understand what Im talking about. This is not something new and propably it has been discussed a lot of times in hackintosh community. Recently I got into opencore and red about the installation guides and the benefits of using it against clover. So my question comes mainly if with opencore and how the nvram is been processed by it, comes to a better overall experience maybe? closer to real mac or not? Excuse me for my bad english. I hope people who experiment with opencore on a designare z390 may share their experiences. Best Regards
The applications I use (which are however not related to video editing) all work very well on the Hackintosh. They run as well or even better than they do on comparable Apple machines. For example, a family member purchased a 2019 27-inch iMac 5K with a 6-core Coffee Lake processor, but my Hackintosh feels more responsive!

But I fully agree that certain apps, particularly FCPX and other pro-level apps from Apple may perform noticeably better on real Macs.

Enabling native NVRAM or switching boot loaders, however, should not be the cause of such differences. Native NVRAM, improved boot loaders, and even Thunderbolt Local Node are all efforts designed to further close the gap between Macs and Hacks. So they should all be adopted over time.

Native NVRAM in Clover:

Hello,

Since I was able to update clover to 5xxx and successfully replaced the OSXaptiofixdrv-free2000.efi without having to reinstall everything I'm considering to activate native nvram but because it's not without a risk I want to make sure that I understand everything correctly:
Thanks for asking. This could be a FAQ for others...
1. the procedure for unlocking MSR 0xE2 has to be followed if you don't know the VarOffset, which is for this motherboard 0x5C1 for BIOS F6, F7, F8, and F9b, I have F8 so it is 0x5C1, procedure part 1-5 is not
necessary anymore, only the second part to know how to prepare a usb stick with the special build of grub: can someone please confirm this?
Correct. We can skip all the preliminary steps and jump directly to Modifying the Firmware.
2. if I use the link to the procedure for unlocking it says
  • setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0
but in the link at the header of this post it says
  • setup_var_3 0x5c1 0
or it doesn't matter what you type 0x0 or 0 or it does, same question for small letters/capitals, c or C, so what do I have to enter? I'm not familiar with the syntax.
Those differences do not matter, but as a general rule it's always preferred to follow the Mini-Guide exactly.
3. what can go wrong that is irreparable? Entering setup_var-3 0x5c1 with a different value then 0x0 or 0x1? Can it be repaired by flashing the Bios/Uefi again or do I have a dead motherboard that can't be fixed?
This procedure has been tested many times without failure so it's quite safe. But if someone makes a typo by accidentally entering a different VarOffset, it could produce unforeseen consequences. Also, because this modifies Gigabyte's official firmware, we want to make sure we provide enough warnings so each person can decide for themselves whether or not to proceed.
4. in summary because 0x5C1 is the Varoffset for this motherboard and BIOS/Firmware versions listed it is only a matter of preparing a stick with a special build of grub, change the value for the Varoffset and copy and delete some files, enter a few commands in a terminal and uncheck two things?
Yes. Once we know the VarOffset, the procedure becomes rather trivial.

I still cannot solve the problem. I have asked in the past, but it has not been resolved.
My Hackintosh freezes randomly while I work with Chrome or Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro. I do not know the solution.
Previously, it would freeze when returning from the screen saver. In such a case, press the reset button to restart the system forcibly. I am worried about this problem.

I followed the guide and installed Mojave. Uses AMD RX Vega 64 8GB 8176 MB.
A few minutes after the Mac boots, the Mac system freezes completely with the screen displayed. It doesn't work at all.
Sometimes the cursor pointer moves and sometimes it doesn't.
The display of the time in the upper right is also frozen.
There is no pattern when a freeze occurs.
However, it can be fortunate to switch to the login screen. In that case, it returns to the original behavior. (Escape from freeze)
I can't confirm that the viewfinder has been killed. (The finder does not open)
Commands and periods also do not work. I end up forcibly by holding down the power button.

Compress the EFI and paste it here.
Please give me some advice to solve it.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    37.1 MB · Views: 199
I still cannot solve the problem. I have asked in the past, but it has not been resolved.
My Hackintosh freezes randomly while I work with Chrome or Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro. I do not know the solution.
Previously, it would freeze when returning from the screen saver. In such a case, press the reset button to restart the system forcibly. I am worried about this problem.

I followed the guide and installed Mojave. Uses AMD RX Vega 64 8GB 8176 MB.
A few minutes after the Mac boots, the Mac system freezes completely with the screen displayed. It doesn't work at all.
Sometimes the cursor pointer moves and sometimes it doesn't.
The display of the time in the upper right is also frozen.
There is no pattern when a freeze occurs.
However, it can be fortunate to switch to the login screen. In that case, it returns to the original behavior. (Escape from freeze)
I can't confirm that the viewfinder has been killed. (The finder does not open)
Commands and periods also do not work. I end up forcibly by holding down the power button.

Compress the EFI and paste it here.
Please give me some advice to solve it.

Thank you very much.
Several issues:
  • The Mojave installation guide explicitly states that all third-party kexts should be installed in /Library/Extensions and a minimum set in CLOVER/kexts/Other. But look at your CLOVER kexts folder:
    Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 4.52.46 PM.png
    • Even standard Mojave kexts are included here.
  • The Guide also says to set Inject Kexts to Detect in Clover Configurator --> System Parameters.
Also, please have a look at this part of the Catalina Mini-Guide, in particular the highlighted section (but look thru all bullets). Even though you're running Mojave, these suggestions can help:

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 4.48.41 PM.png

Several issues:
  • The Mojave installation guide explicitly states that all third-party kexts should be installed in /Library/Extensions and a minimum set in CLOVER/kexts/Other. But look at your CLOVER kexts folder:
    View attachment 448215
    • Even standard Mojave kexts are included here.
  • The Guide also says to set Inject Kexts to Detect in Clover Configurator --> System Parameters.
Also, please have a look at this part of the Catalina Mini-Guide, in particular the highlighted section (but look thru all bullets). Even though you're running Mojave, these suggestions can help:

View attachment 448216
Thanks for your advice. I am very helpful.

Enabling IGPU in BIOS or setting Vega 64 as primary in BIOS does not solve this problem.
Is it related to PlatformID?
I also purchased Vega second-hand. Is it possible that the VBIOS has been rewritten?

I updated to OC 0.5.4 (n-d-k), and stopped using my DSDT in favor of SSDT-NVRAM.aml and friends. This allows me to boot Windows via OC, which is a big plus! However, sleep stopped working: I couldn't get to sleep, it would automatically wake-up instantly after going to sleep. I fixed it by removing the SSDT-NO-CNVW, SSDT-PLUG and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 files, both from the ACPI folder and the config.plist. Now sleep works again!

UPDATE: the TB3HP SSDT was not the culprit, but both NO-CNVW and PLUG inhibit sleep capabilities!

Great updates. What does your EFI currently look like?

** Native NVRAM in Clover **

I don't what's wrong, but seems I don't success when I do the test, I carefully followed your procedure very carefully and checked nothing doing wrong. When I do the test, after reboot, I don't get "TestVar Hello" message. The attached pictures are
1. I check the 0x5c1 value
2. reboot after the doing "sudo nvram TestVar=Hello"
IMG_7583.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 10.27.36 PM.png

Back