Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Quick thank you to CaseySJ. Just tested a 10.15.2 9900K, 5700XT, 64gig of ram setup with several brand new, high end Apollo Thunderbolt devices and they all worked beautifully. Have not pushed the number of tracks, but I held my breath as Thunderbolt worked wonderfully and the pro keyboards burst through the monitor speakers loud and clear. What a thrill. Everything is working. I did not go for native NVRAM as I didn't see what the big advantages were. I think I read almost 1000 pages of this forum. Your dedication has been awesome. Can't thank you enough.

This implies:
  • Missing USBInjectAll.kext from CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Missing SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml from CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
Please check these first...

Also post a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer after scrolling the device tree on left side to XHC (but do not use 'search' bar).
I am a bit confused. In your guide you write the SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml goes to CLOVER/ACPI/patched

I wiped everything now from the CLOVER/ACPI & DRIVERS & KEXT copied everything from your guide. I also used your config.plist for AMD but left the shikigva stuff out because I am on iMacPro1,1 because of better rendering with Adobe etc.

Bluetooth is working again but I've got no audio working.

Quick thank you to CaseySJ. Just tested a 10.15.2 9900K, 5700XT, 64gig of ram setup with several brand new, high end Apollo Thunderbolt devices and they all worked beautifully. Have not pushed the number of tracks, but I held my breath as Thunderbolt worked wonderfully and the pro keyboards burst through the monitor speakers loud and clear. What a thrill. Everything is working. I did not go for native NVRAM as I didn't see what the big advantages were. I think I read almost 1000 pages of this forum. Your dedication has been awesome. Can't thank you enough.
Glad to hear it! Enabling native NVRAM is optional and there's absolutely no rush to do it. Some of the benefits of native NVRAM are listed here:

I am a bit confused. In your guide you write the SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml goes to CLOVER/ACPI/patched
Good catch -- error fixed in original post.
Bluetooth is working again but I've got no audio working.
Check and/or post screenshots of the following:
  • System Information --> Audio
  • Output of the following in Terminal: kextstat | grep -v apple. We want to see whether AppleALC.kext is loaded.

"Preparation:

• If you have an AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT (or only have iGPU):
    • You must use the on-board iGPU to install Catalina.
    • You must fully remove the RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT and set it aside. We will install it later."

- Gigabyte Z390 Designare
- i9 9900KF
- 64Go Corsaire Vengeance RGB 3200Mh
- Saphire Radeon RX 5700 XT
- Samsung Nvme 970 Evo Plus 500Go
- Samsung 860 Evo 1 To
- Corsaire RM 850 W

Here is the problem: KF processors don't have iGpu !

"Preparation:

• If you have an AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT (or only have iGPU):
    • You must fully remove the RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT and set it aside. We will install it later."

- Gigabyte Z390 Designare
- i9 9900KF
- 64Go Corsaire Vengeance RGB 3200Mh
- Saphire Radeon RX 5700 XT
- Samsung Nvme 970 Evo Plus 500Go
- Samsung 860 Evo 1 To
- Corsaire RM 850 W

Here is the problem: KF processors don't have iGpu !
Here’s the other problem: You’re reading the wrong guide! :)

Please click here:

Good catch -- error fixed in original post.

Check and/or post screenshots of the following:
  • System Information --> Audio
  • Output of the following in Terminal: kextstat | grep -v apple. We want to see whether AppleALC.kext is loaded.

Oh man, I wish I had tired all the things before ^^
I just hit the update to 10.15.3 and guess what, it's working again like a charm. But without reaching out to you I think I hadn't solve this issue :)
So thanks a lot for holding my hands while I was drifting through this strange situation. You and your thread is a real problem solver.

That USB-C port is controlled by HS01 and SS01. If the R5 does not have this port, then we can remove them from the SSDT and open up some other port(s). I've already done this in the attached files:
  • The file ending in .aml goes into the OpenCore ACPI folder. The OpenCore config.plist must reference this file.
  • The file ending in .dsl can also be copied into the same folder (it is the disassembled version with lots of comments), but it should definitely not be referenced inside the OpenCore config.plist.
  • This SSDT removes SS01 (HS01 was already removed) and opens up HS03 for USB 2.0 devices. Still 15 ports.

In this case the choice is yours...

Nice -- in fact all the other acidanthera kexts are also updated!

No real issues with F7, F8, or F9b.

No longer necessary or recommend.

Thank you so much once again for doing that, SSDT added, awaiting my new RAM and I’ll report back with the results! This thread is a real gem.

When I click on your link the first think I read is:

"
**Mini-Guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 and Newer **
UPDATED 15-Dec-2019
MSI RX 5700 XT may not work with this guide. Please follow the previous guide (
click here). "

Again when I "click here", I can read (again):

• " If you have an AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT (or only have iGPU):
    • You must fully remove the RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT and set it aside. We will install it later.":);)

But....I will try again.......

Last edited:
oh. could that be because of the hard coded Clover entry I made to make my dual boot Windows not destroy may Mac partition?

I did it with this guide
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ing-when-installing-windows-and-linux.272807/
(UEFI shell method)

Since then, I have clover bootloader show up separately in the boot devices (first place), but as I understand it should be using the EFI from my boot/system drive?

Addition: re-checked, no other boot drives connected (aside the Win10 disk).
@CaseySJ, could you or sbd point me Into the right direction? Where could my mistake/error be?

Back