Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello and thank you @CaseySJ

[...]
  • Pretty sure I left CSM Support enabled in BIOS.
  • Will try adding agdpmod=pikera in Boot Arguments this weekend.
I did plan to continue with this amazing beast today, but the studio where it will reside in the future has been busy all day. I will continue tomorrow.

So I started by clearing CMOS, reloaded the BIOS profile and checked that CSM Support is enabled (it was). I have tried Attached an old Phillips HDMI computer monitor and a newer Dell HDMI monitor and everything seems to work almost just fine. I can preview jpg files in Finder and FCP doesn't crash on start.

I use a HDMI matrix switch for one of the HDMI monitors. If that HDMI monitor is not active in the matrix switch during boot strange things happen. Display settings are mirroring the displays and I have to unmirror them and re-set the thunderbolt connected LG monitor as main display. MacOS was never good at remembering which display is the main display! (Is there a hidden trick for this?)

I have not tried adding agdpmod=pikera yet.

I hope I won't have to do the clear CMOS trick again, because it really will be a bit of a hassle once this computer beast has been set in its place.

Thorough testing of the Apollo Twin Solo MK1 is still not complete, but so far no issues at all. Will report back when testing is done.

On a side note. I built this computer with a Noctua NH-D15 and forgot to check for compatibility with the Z390 Designare. The NH-D15 just blocks the PCIe x16 slot, so I had to install the RX580 in the PCIe x8 slot. If anybody else is considering the NH-D15 with this MB, go with the NH-D15S instead. Same amazing cooling performance if you add another NF-A15 fan (there is only one included with the NH-D15S) but with better RAM clearance and no blocking of the PCIe x16 slot.

OK, this may be too weird or specific a question, but it seems a lot of people here are studio guys, som im going to ask it here.

Something changed in my hackintosh and now some of my audio plugs need to be re-authorized.
Specifically causing me a lot of concern are my loads of Waves plugins.
Out of the blue the Device ID changed and now none of my plugins are authorized. I can 'recover' my licenses but if this happens again I am going to have hundreds of dollars in useless plugins.
I need to try to figure out what happened so that I can get my computer to take on that old device ID.

Problem is, I cant think of any changes I made that would do this. I haven't meddled with the config.plist today.

Things i did today:
I ran a firmware update on my Logitech MX master mouse receiver.
The mouse was laggy. I took it off the system and I'm just using a wired mouse now.
I would certainly hope a mouse wouldn't change a device ID?

I notice that H264 and HEVC also became unavailable.
I'm not sure why. I toggled the iGPU off, tested again and still no H264 or HEVC. toggled it back on.
Thats when all hell broke loose and my device ID changed and plugins became de-authorized.

any ideas? Im kinda freaking out. :/

Hi all,
I had a working macOS Catalina build with the Aorus z390 Pro and most other components mentioned in this build here.
The last days I used the LAN port an an older TP Link TL-WDN4800 with my Hacki.

Now my Fenvi FV-T919 arrived. Bluetooth worked out of the box after I plugged in the USB cable.
But the WiFi doesn't work... I plugged in into the x1_1 PCI and tried also x1_3 PCI slot. I also attached my system information and the installed kext here.

Any ideas here? On windows everything works perfect after I installed the driver from the website. But in mac os Catalina my WiFi doesn't work... Maybe you had an idea...

Thank you very much.
Kind regards Pablo
Because your motherboard has on-board Intel CNVi, have you copied the SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml to your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder? This SSDT works with all Gigabyte Z390 boards.

Hello @CaseySJ, I'm sorry if you didn't understand my last post; my English is quite bad and furthermore I'm a beginner in informatics so it's a big mess! I sincerely apologize if i'm not clear at all.

Finally, I changed my plan and tried to install Catalina, instead of Mojave, with your very clear mini guide. Apparently, it works, but after the final step, the computer doesn't restart directly on the Desktop of macOS, but it goes to the Clover Boot Menu, as for the Mojave Boot. However, I followed the final step of your guide (the installation of Clover RC scripts), but that seems not to work. When I try to make it with Clover, I've got the following message that I also put in attached files "this package is incompatible with this version of macOS". I choose "install anyway" but then the computer restarts inside Clover Boot Menu with the two choices that I put in attached files too. Apparently, the macOS seems to work properly despite this... Have you got any idea to solve the problem ?
It is normal for computer to go the Clover Boot Menu. From there you can select Boot macOS from Catalina. Do not worry right now about bypassing Clover.

The error message "this package is incompatible with this version of macOS" only occurs when you try to run the Clover installer. But there's no need to update Clover right now. Just make sure the system runs reliably. Then after a few weeks you can try to make changes.

Casey, reviewing my OC config, I noticed that under booter-mmioWhitelist-0 there is a comment string that's the following:
Haswell: SB_RCBA is a 0x4 page memory region, containing SPI_BASE at 0x3800 (SPI_BASE_ADDRESS)

is Haswell correct? should we be using Coffee Lake? is it even the correct memory region to be looking at?
That item is there by default and is disabled, so its ignored!
Also can you take a look at the refi folder and plist.... shouldn't I be adding the ssd for the usb fix? am I missing anything else?
Not necessary to add SSDT for USB fix because the modified DSDT already incorporates all of those changes. By the way we don't need:
  • NvmExpressDxe.efi
  • XhciDxe.efi
  • SMCLightSensor.kext
  • SMCBatteryManager.kext
There's no harm keeping them in the OC folders. They won't load unless explicitly mention in config.plist.

It is normal for computer to go the Clover Boot Menu. From there you can select Boot macOS from Catalina. Do not worry right now about bypassing Clover.

The error message "this package is incompatible with this version of macOS" only occurs when you try to run the Clover installer. But there's no need to update Clover right now. Just make sure the system runs reliably. Then after a few weeks you can try to make changes.
thanks a lot again for all your help !!!! :angel:

Do you guys think the "SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml" SSDT is needed now that you can disable the onboard WIFI in BIOS?
It's better to keep it enabled so Windows can make full use of WiFi 6 and BT 5. If you've read about WiFi 6, then you know how awesome it is.

OK, this may be too weird or specific a question, but it seems a lot of people here are studio guys, som im going to ask it here.

Something changed in my hackintosh and now some of my audio plugs need to be re-authorized.
Specifically causing me a lot of concern are my loads of Waves plugins.
Out of the blue the Device ID changed and now none of my plugins are authorized. I can 'recover' my licenses but if this happens again I am going to have hundreds of dollars in useless plugins.
I need to try to figure out what happened so that I can get my computer to take on that old device ID.

Problem is, I cant think of any changes I made that would do this. I haven't meddled with the config.plist today.

Things i did today:
I ran a firmware update on my Logitech MX master mouse receiver.
The mouse was laggy. I took it off the system and I'm just using a wired mouse now.
I would certainly hope a mouse wouldn't change a device ID?

I notice that H264 and HEVC also became unavailable.
I'm not sure why. I toggled the iGPU off, tested again and still no H264 or HEVC. toggled it back on.
Thats when all hell broke loose and my device ID changed and plugins became de-authorized.

any ideas? Im kinda freaking out. :/
I had this problem as well, especially with izotope plugins . Now i have all my authorizations on an usb Stick and can use them on every Computer if the stick is in. Easy to handle through Waves Control Center.....

Last edited:
I had this problem as well, especially with izotope plugins . Now i have all my authorizations on an usb Stick and can use them on every Computer if the stick is in. Easy to handle through Waves Control Center.....
Yeah that’s what I did. Stinks that I had to burn a deauthorize on this. Apparently this happens from time to time on real Macs and even windows. :/ oh well. Usb stick it is

Yeah that’s what I did. Stinks that I had to burn a deauthorize on this. Apparently this happens from time to time on real Macs and even windows. :/ oh well. USB stick it is

Plug-in companies use a combination of computer characteristics to see if your copy is legit. Like your NAT address (unique Ethernet address), your computer type (iMac 19,1) , and other stuff that they think is unique for your computer. Changing certain parts of your computer(new motherboard) and/or spoofing will make the copy protection kick in.
Changing your SMBIOS settings is a really bad idea, for example.
iLoks and other hardware protection devices are better in this regard.
Copy protection is really annoying for legit owners, unfortunately. We pay in full, and as a thank you, have to jump through all these registration and copy protection hoops.

Back