[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Hello,

I have a little (but important) question. I'm real new to hackintosh (it's my first one), I only have followed once and step by step the tutorial on december 7th (2019) when I constructed my computer and had ZERO problems. Yeah :)
Now, Catalina tells me that he has updates to install. What should I do ?? Can I install them exactly like a normal MacOS computer or should I be extremely careful with MacOS updates ??

Also, after my initial installation (december 7th), I saw many many posts here, many "updates" and many things appeared to me as "bug corrections" but since I can't understand everything here, I don't know if I should update something or make some changes in Clover's configuration...

Finally, I bought an Apple Magic Keyboard and I would like to use it as wired (lightning to usb) instead of wireless. Will it work out of the box or should I do something particular ?

Thanks !!

I didn't have to do anything special to make it work. I had paired it via bluetooth first and then plugged it in.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I didn't have to do anything special to make it work. I had paired it via bluetooth first and then plugged it in.
Ok but as I said, I don't want to use wireless (first because I don't have bluetooth on my computer), but use only wired connection using the lightning-usb cable...

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I did now a couple things!
1. I did a second Drive with a new installation! Accound Mini Guide! Sound everything works, but not the mouse!
2. On my M2m sound is lost via 1220 it works via graphic card! Mouse is still not working correct! Battery Changed again and even with wire does not work correct!
I installed newest Lilu and apple alc QCquirks-for-designare-z390
IOReg shows that:
  • Mouse and Keyboard were connected to HS06 on rear IO panel, but then ejected.
  • Mouse and Keyboard were then connected to HS12 (internal USB 2.0 header on motherboard).
  • The connected devices are:
    • Logitech USB Mouse
    • Apple USB Keyboard
    • HP Mobile USB Optical Mouse
Questions:
  • Any reason to move mice and keyboard from external HS06 port to internal HS12 port?
  • Because 2 mice are connected, which one fails? Do they both fail?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
VEGA 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Finally, I bought an Apple Magic Keyboard and I would like to use it as wired (lightning to usb) instead of wireless. Will it work out of the box or should I do something particular ?

Thanks !!

The lightning cable connecting the magic keyboard to the computer makes it work like a USB keyboard. I do this for a little gaming PC I have that doesn't have bluetooth built-in.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Air
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Hello and thank you @CaseySJ

• The RX 580 is a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB HDMI/DVI-D/DUAL DP OC W/BP (UEFI)
    (are there different models of the Sapphire Pulse RX 580?)
  • HDMI computer monitors; rather old Samsung S24D390HL. I will try with a Dell D2416P this weekend.
    I did initially set it up using this Dell display connected through DP.
  • Pretty sure I left CSM Support enabled in BIOS.
  • Will try adding agdpmod=pikera in Boot Arguments this weekend.
I did plan to continue with this amazing beast today, but the studio where it will reside in the future has been busy all day. I will continue tomorrow.

Hi Thomas, I used the same RX 580 some 2 years ago. IIRC it does have 2 hdmi's and 2 dp.

If I understood correctly, are you using Thunderbolt (LG display) and 2 HDMI as opposed to say 2 DP's and 1 HDMI (i.e., my working setup)?

Cheers

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
IOReg shows that:
  • Mouse and Keyboard were connected to HS06 on rear IO panel, but then ejected.
  • Mouse and Keyboard were then connected to HS12 (internal USB 2.0 header on motherboard).
  • The connected devices are:
    • Logitech USB Mouse
    • Apple USB Keyboard
    • HP Mobile USB Optical Mouse
Questions:
  • Any reason to move mice and keyboard from external HS06 port to internal HS12 port?
  • Because 2 mice are connected, which one fails? Do they both fail?
I tried different ports and mice ! Both have the problem! Also at the fresh installation!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z390X Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have a little (but important) question. I'm real new to hackintosh (it's my first one), I only have followed once and step by step the tutorial on december 7th (2019) when I constructed my computer and had ZERO problems. Yeah :)
Now, Catalina tells me that he has updates to install. What should I do ?? Can I install them exactly like a normal MacOS computer or should I be extremely careful with MacOS updates ??

Also, after my initial installation (december 7th), I saw many many posts here, many "updates" and many things appeared to me as "bug corrections" but since I can't understand everything here, I don't know if I should update something or make some changes in Clover's configuration...

Thanks !!
You Can Update everything from The App Store (Apps) as on a real mac .

If i make a System Update, i always backup First. I usually clone my Drive and make the Update on the cloned drive and Play it back if it Work. But i had no problems with System Updates in the last years.

Before System Updates you should make sure, that all your „Hacked“ kexts, efis and clover are actual and compatible.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

Hello @trucmuche2005

Glad to hear the build went well. Catalina will tell you about 2 kinds of updates: (a) application updates, and (b) OS updates. To install (a) application updates, just go ahead and do it. But to install (b) OS updates, make a bootable backup first, then go ahead and let macOS update itself.
In general, when we install a "minor" update of macOS (such as 10.15.1 to 10.15.2) we don't need to update Clover or kexts. But when we install a "major" update (such as Mojave to Catalina) we usually need to update Clover and various kexts (Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, VirtualSMC).

Yes it will work with the cable attached (without Bluetooth). Please see this Q&A from Amazon:
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.13.17 AM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried different ports and mice ! Both have the problem! Also at the fresh installation!
This is very strange -- I really don't have an answer for you, but how about this:
  • Do the mice work under either Windows or Linux (on the Designare Z390)?
  • If they fail in Windows and/or Linux, then you can contact Gigabyte Tech Support or the store where you purchased the motherboard because it might be defective.