Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I haven't seen this issue. I am on F9b. have you upgraded yet?
You have to define your startup disk in system preferences in MacOS. OC will use this, if you have a working NVRAM. If Not, OC will always take the first entry in the picker.

Tonight I want to see if I can get the iGPU going using OC so it can be used for rendering as the guide has us disable it. Yet, I read a bit that the iGPU can be enabled.
I went into the BIOS and enabled it, but the boot hangs.
I went back in and set to auto, and it boots.

But, using gfxutil or ioregistryexplorer, I cant see it in order to get its location and make the patch. Any hints?

yup, I did. 4xxxx to 5xxxx hopefully I can do that from the machine somehow :)
Jules
Not sure I understand.
  • When you updated Clover, was it from 4xxx to 5xxx?
  • If so, was the old drivers64UEFI folder deleted?
  • Does the new CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder contain either:
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi OR
    • OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist, FwRuntimeServices.efi

Tonight I want to see if I can get the iGPU going using OC so it can be used for rendering as the guide has us disable it. Yet, I read a bit that the iGPU can be enabled.
I went into the BIOS and enabled it, but the boot hangs.
I went back in and set to auto, and it boots.

But, using gfxutil or ioregistryexplorer, I cant see it in order to get its location and make the patch. Any hints?
When we set IGPU to auto, but connect the monitor to discrete GPU in a PCIe slot, then IGPU gets disabled automatically. So the auto setting means:
  • Check if discrete GPU is available.
  • Check if monitor is connected to discrete GPU or iGPU or both.
  • If connected only to discrete GPU, turn off IGPU.

I haven't seen this issue. I am on F9b. have you upgraded yet?

I'm on 10b, but I'm using the Ultra.

You have to define your startup disk in system preferences in MacOS. OC will use this, if you have a working NVRAM. If Not, OC will always take the first entry in the picker.

Yeah, that's what I did. And it works to update the default booter in OC.
It's the boot device in BIOS that keeps getting messed with. Instead of booting from my OC partition, it just goes straight to Windows.
It wasn't doing this with 0.5.4, just the NDK fork of 0.5.5.
But then the 'regular' version of 0.5.4 was giving me a different set of issues.

I decided I had enough of OC for now, and went back to Clover.
My wife was getting annoyed at how many hours I spent fiddling around with my bootloader.
I'll give it another shot after a few more revisions. :)

When we set IGPU to auto, but connect the monitor to discrete GPU in a PCIe slot, then IGPU gets disabled automatically. So the auto setting means:
  • Check if discrete GPU is available.
  • Check if monitor is connected to discrete GPU or iGPU or both.
  • If connected only to discrete GPU, turn off IGPU.

so I removed the dp connector from 5700 and connected HDMI to onboard.screen is blank and gfxutil still not seeing it

so I removed the dp connector from 5700 and connected HDMI to onboard.screen is blank and gfxutil still not seeing it
  • Do you see BIOS splash screen via IGPU (HDMI)?
  • Do you see Clover Boot Menu via IGPU (HDMI)?
  • When macOS starts, HDMI output will go blank because Platform ID is set to headless mode (0x3E980003).
But this is getting a bit off topic. If IGPU is enabled (whether explicitly or by setting it to auto), OpenCore may complain about being unable to allocate memory (no slide values available).

It's curious that OcQuirks in combination with FwRuntimeServices has no problem allocating memory with Clover (when IGPU is enabled), but fails with OpenCore. (FwRuntimeServices is actually part of OpenCore.)

This shows:
  • One 3TB disk is formatted as HFS
  • One 3TB disk is formatted as ExFAT
Does the crash/freeze occur when reading/writing to the HFS drive or to the ExFAT drive?
Or does the crash/freeze occur on both drives?
in any..i have hdd in HFS and ExFAT i tested and same problem....

• Do you see BIOS splash screen via IGPU (HDMI)?
  • Do you see Clover Boot Menu via IGPU (HDMI)?
  • When macOS starts, HDMI output will go blank because Platform ID is set to headless mode (0x3E980003).
But this is getting a bit off topic. If IGPU is enabled (whether explicitly or by setting it to auto), OpenCore may complain about being unable to allocate memory (no slide values available).

It's curious that OcQuirks in combination with FwRuntimeServices has no problem allocating memory with Clover (when IGPU is enabled), but fails with OpenCore. (FwRuntimeServices is actually part of OpenCore.)

iGPU chosen as first display.
Auto or enable crashes
boot picker shows up on iGPU and discrete
verbose output on discrete
with only 1 cable used in iGPU - BIOS menu, picker and output displays but crashes

pci1 chosen as first display
auto - boots whether a cable is plugged in or not
nothing displays on the igpu screen at any time
enable - iGPU crashes
iGPU auto - no cable in discrete it boots up but screen is asleep. plug DP in discrete, and it booted and at welcome screen
iGPU enable - no cable in discrete screen is asleep. plug dp in and screen is also asleep. assuming KP.

Sorry if this was confusing.

Not sure I understand.
  • When you updated Clover, was it from 4xxx to 5xxx?
  • If so, was the old drivers64UEFI folder deleted?
  • Does the new CLOVER/drivers/UEFIfolder contain either:
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi OR
    • OcQuirks.efi, OcQuirks.plist, FwRuntimeServices.efi
I updated clover from 4 to 5 and did not delete anything. I am going to boot from USB and do that now along with checking the CLOVER/Drivers/UEFI folder. Report results soon

Back