Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
Intel i7-9700K
Graphics
Nitro+ RX580
Sure, you may install to the SATA SSD. You can also clone the SATA SSD to the M.2 NVMe SSD once it becomes visible again in macOS.

Cool. I will report back after further troubleshooting. Thanks, again!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
@CaseySJ just another positive data point on the OcQuirks plist setup.

My current:

Clover 5103
Updated Lilu WEG ALC
F7 BIOS

It seems to be running stable. I am getting some sleep crashes. (Though no freezes since I did a CMOS reset.)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
...I am getting some sleep crashes (though no freezes since I did a CMOS reset)
At the risk of opening up a can of worms :), what "sleep crashes" are you experiencing? And what suggestions have you attempted already?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
I somehow screwed up the post installation. I think I may have overwritten my custom EFI folder with the default Clover one. Now, when I try to boot from either the USB or the install, I get this, "ERROR allocating 0x11c85 pages at 0x00000000057cc000 alloc type 2 Couldn't allocate runtime area Boot failed; will sleep for 10 seconds before exiting". I don't have another Mac to check this with. Are there boot flags or other such wizardry I can use get the thing to start up again and fix the EFI folder with Clover Config?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I somehow screwed up the post installation. I think I may have overwritten my custom EFI folder with the default Clover one. Now, when I try to boot from either the USB or the install, I get this, "ERROR allocating 0x11c85 pages at 0x00000000057cc000 alloc type 2 Couldn't allocate runtime area Boot failed; will sleep for 10 seconds before exiting". I don't have another Mac to check this with. Are there boot flags or other such wizardry I can use get the thing to start up again and fix the EFI folder with Clover Config?
  • Are you installing Catalina by following the Catalina Mini-Guide?
  • If so, how did you create the USB install disk if you don't have another Mac?
  • When you try to boot from the USB Install Disk, are you pressing F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen to invoke the BIOS Boot Menu?
    • If so, then you must select the USB flash disk from the BIOS Boot Menu.
    • This should bring you to the Clover Boot Menu.
    • Now you should be able to select Boot macOS from Catalina (if you named the internal SSD "Catalina").
  • If you continue to experience the ERROR allocating xxx pages at xxx, then try the following:
    • Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU for 10 seconds. Then flip it back and boot up. Does it get past the error?
    • If not, then perform a CMOS Reset by shorting the two designated pins on motherboard with a flat head screwdriver as explained in the Designare User Manual. This will reset BIOS parameters to factory defaults, so configure them again starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.
      • Do you still get ERROR allocating ... ?
  • The ERROR allocating ... error is due to an incompatible memory EFI driver in the CLOVER/drivers/UEFIfolder. We cannot use the default one that is installed by the Clover installer. Instead, we use the ZIP file in the Catalina Mini-Guide.
    • If you were able to boot from the USB flash disk before, you should still be able to boot from it (by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen).
    • So if this works and you can log in to Catalina (assuming you've installed Catalina), then you can mount EFI partition of the Catalina internal SSD and make fixes to the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
  • Are you installing Catalina by following the Catalina Mini-Guide?
Yes.
  • If so, how did you create the USB install disk if you don't have another Mac?
I'm doing a hardware upgrade from my previous hackintosh. My wife has a PC (using it now)

• When you try to boot from the USB Install Disk, are you pressing F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen to invoke the BIOS Boot Menu?
    • If so, then you must select the USB flash disk from the BIOS Boot Menu.
    • This should bring you to the Clover Boot Menu.
    • Now you should be able to select Boot macOS from Catalina (if you named the internal SSD "Catalina"}
Yes, I did this.

• If you continue to experience the ERROR allocating xxx pages at xxx, then try the following:
    • Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU for 10 seconds. Then flip it back and boot up. Does it get past the error?
    • If not, then perform a CMOS Reset by shorting the two designated pins on motherboard with a flat head screwdriver as explained in the Designare User Manual. This will reset BIOS parameters to factory defaults, so configure them again starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.
      • Do you still get ERROR allocating ... ?

This worked, sort of. I shut off the power and reset the CMOS, then fixed the bios settings. Then I tried booting from the ssd. It took about five minutes and I ended up at the screen pictured (a graphic spray). I tried rebooting from the usb, and it chugged along for a while before hanging again.

Do I have a hardware problem? My bios navigation is sluggish and I've been plagued with freezes and forced restarts throughout this process.

EDIT: Just booted the install usb drive, ran disk utility, then tried to reboot and got the ERROR allocating xxx pages at xxx again.

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_112616_1.jpg
    IMG_20200110_112616_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200110_114859.jpg
    IMG_20200110_114859.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Hello @dlight

Several comments:
  • Are you using Samsung 970 EVO or EVO Plus?
  • Are you using Clover 51xx?
  • How long do you wait when the boot process appears to hang? Sometimes it takes 7 to 10 minutes before it continues by itself.
  • Did you click "Generate" under Clover Configurator --> RtVariables --> ROM?

Thank you for this... turns out this was working the whole time (I think). I got Catalina installed successfully. I don't think I was waiting long enough when it appeared to hang. The strange quirk here is that I couldn't see the installer gui unless I turned my HDMI monitor off and back on. I'm actually still having this issue every time I boot into Catalina from clover. I get the black screen after the Apple logo and my monitor loses signal. The screen remains black until I reboot the monitor, then I get the normal gui! Very strange but I'm glad it's working.

Thank you! (Btw I have the non-plus Samsung Evo)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes.

I'm doing a hardware upgrade from my previous hackintosh. My wife has a PC (using it now)

Yes, I did this.

This worked, sort of. I shut off the power and reset the CMOS, then fixed the bios settings. Then I tried booting from the ssd. It took about five minutes and I ended up at the screen pictured (a graphic spray). I tried rebooting from the usb, and it chugged along for a while before hanging again.

Do I have a hardware problem? My bios navigation is sluggish and I've been plagued with freezes and forced restarts throughout this process.

EDIT: Just booted the install usb drive, ran disk utility, then tried to reboot and got the ERROR allocating xxx pages at xxx again.
There may be a hardware issue, but first please try disabling IGPU in BIOS to see if that stabilizes the system.

Also please list all of the hardware components...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
There may be a hardware issue, but first please try disabling IGPU in BIOS to see if that stabilizes the system.
No joke, you really are a genius! I disabled internal graphics and booted up from my SSD no sweat. So... what does this mean?

P.S. Just checked, and I didn't overwrite the EFI folder on the USB drive after all.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX Vega 64
No joke, you really are a genius! I disabled internal graphics and booted up from my SSD no sweat. So... what does this mean?

P.S. Just checked, and I didn't overwrite the EFI folder on the USB drive after all.

I think I read somewhere it's actually related to the DVMT setting of the iGPU, try setting that to 64MB instead of the default 128MB. Mind you, when you re-enable iGPU, the DVMT setting at first won't appear, you have to get into the BIOS a second time for it to pop up.