Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• Have you connected the NZXT Kraken to CPU_FAN header? There does seem to be a cable heading to that location.
  • Have you also connected the NZXT Kraken to F_USB header?
  • I see an 8-pin CPU power cable going to ATX_12V_2X4. Please confirm.
  • Are the memory DIMMs fully seated in their slots? Did they click into place when pressed?
  • Is the RX 580 fully seated in its slot? Did it also click into place (because of the plastic retention clip at the back of the long PCIe slot)?
  • Is the RX 580 fully powered?
  • Is the monitor connected to the RX 580?
  • The Kraken X72 CPU block comes with a weird thermal compound already applied. There's no need to apply any additional thermal compound (but I tend to remove the standard compound and replace it with my own).
  • Was the CPU installed incorrectly the first time? Is there any observable damage to the CPU socket or to the back of the CPU?
Remember to always shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF position before inserting or removing any component on the motherboard. This is the only way to drain all power from the board and force the BIOS to scan for new or removed devices.
CPU pins on motherboard look terrible and the CPU has discoloration and some scratches on the bottom.

Last edited:
How is this even possible? This is not my first build, and I carefully seated the CPU according to the instructions.
That certainly determines that you've got a hardware problem.

Was it a brand new or refurbished board ? Did you inspect the pins with a magnifying glass or cell phone camera before inserting the CPU ? If it came that way you'll have to RMA it. If not you can try and straighten the pins but it won't be easy. Nearly impossible from the way it looks. It is possible that the CPU wasn't squarely in the socket when you closed the lever to lock it into place. Most of the bent/damaged pins are on the outer edges. Check if the scratches on your CPU correspond to where the bent pins are located.

Screen Shot 15.jpg

Here's a video of someone having success realigning their pins after they were damaged.

Last edited:
That certainly determines that you've got a hardware problem.

Was it a brand new or refurbished board ? Did you inspect the pins with a magnifying glass or cell phone camera before inserting the CPU ? If it came that way you'll have to RMA it. If not you can try and straighten the pins but it won't be easy. Nearly impossible from the way it looks. It is possible that the CPU wasn't squarely in the socket when you closed the lever to lock it into place. Most of the bent/damaged pins are on the outer edges. Check if the scratches on your CPU correspond to where the bent pins are located.

View attachment 444484

Here's a video of someone having success realigning their pins after they were damaged.

I'm not sure how the pins were before mounting the CPU. The motherboard was not factory sealed (are they ever?) but I did not knowingly buy refurbished.

I'm not sure how the pins were before mounting the CPU. The motherboard was not factory sealed (are they ever?) but I did not knowingly buy refurbished.
If all the pins are present (i.e. none has been sheared off), then you may try to realign them. A single 2-D photo does not accurately portray the damage, but if you believe the socket can be salvaged, please give it a try. Just take your time and be very gentle with each pin. No need to realign them all in one sitting; you may align a few now and a few later. The important thing is not to rush.

This is odd, but let's do this:
  • Please list the components in the system:
    • CPU make/model
    • GPU make/model
    • Motherboard (Z390 Designare)
    • WiFi/BT make/model
    • Any other PCIe cards?
    • CPU cooler make/model
    • Memory make/model and quantity of DIMMs
    • NVMe SSD make/model
  • Also please post screenshots of the following folders in CLOVER (in the Efi Partition of your Catalina SSD):
    • CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
    • CLOVER/kexts/Other
    • CLOVER/ACPI/patched
Reducing DVMT Pre-Alloc may also help (as mentioned by @hylkepylke) if you need iGPU enabled.

Sorry, I thought I'd fixed my signature, but I guess it didn't take:
  • CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K
  • GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
  • Mobo: Z390 Designare with BIOS F8
  • WiFi/BT: Hope to use Iogear dongle from my last build
  • Other PCIe cards? No
  • CPU cooler: Corsair H100
  • Memory : Patriot Viper Steel PC-425600 3200Mhz 16GBx2
  • NVMe SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (with latest firmware)
  • PSU: Corsair AX850
I just rebooted, got a kernel panic, rebooted again and it took 2-3 minutes to boot up, but I'm here. The screenshot of my Clover folders is attached.

Audio doesn't seem to work yet and my right screen is magenta. Haven't tried hylkepylke's advice yet...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 5.03.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 5.03.50 PM.png
    178 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Because you're using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 (which means no iGPU), please make a backup of config.plist and then remove the following entry from config.plist:
View attachment 444415

Then add -wegoff to Boot Arguments to disable WhateverGreen.

Reboot and see if the system still freezes after a a few minutes.
Hi @CaseySJ ,

Thanks for your reply.
Since this change only got me into some unusable display ports (only HDMI on the Radeon works), I decided to use your config.plist as vanilla as possible.
I tried to remember if the error was already present - and yep , it was.

So, I have your config.plist with latest efi-folder-files from the mini guide and the error is stillt there.

Mediaanslysisd (or similar kills me T_T .
- and of course Netflix won’t work anymore since SMBIOS on iMac19,1.

I also don’t think that the BIOS update will lead to anything. Mhhh.

----
Update @CaseySJ :

I tried several constellations of iMac19,1 SMBIOS and iMacPro in different constellations of turning WEG off, playing with shiki values, etc.

Results are:

- iMac19,1 in all configurations Netflix wasn't playable; crash still present
- iMacPro1,1 Netflix playable with my old settings; crash still there

--> deactivated internal graphics completely in BIOS and used your suggested WEG off + config.plist edit --> WORKS
Seems like the deamon is not crashing anymore. The only problem now is that DisplayPort won't work. (Only HDMI is working on my 5700 XT.) VideoProc says HEVC is not supported.

More suggestions :-/ ?
Thanks so much for now!

@heyelly looks like we are in the same boat. Freezes with iGPU but working DP and Hevc or freezes with dual display port and loss of hevc :(

Last edited:
Process of elimination.

To try and find what the fix in the custom DSDT is, I went back to BIOS F8 just to be sure.

I am overwriting changes line by line to see what breaks it.

The custom DSDT actually removed a lot from where I stopped at this point. I was able to get the first 12042 lines in sync (which added several thousand lines to the patched DSDT). NVRAM still working.

I'll continue until I break something and report my findings.

Based on your description, the machine is complete.

Everything is perfect.

970 EVO Plus error resolved after firmware update.

@CaseySJ: I hope you stick to the motherboard for a long time :)

Thanks!

My Components:

Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Intel Core i9-9900K
PowerColor RedDragon RX 5700 XT
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3000MHz
EVGA 1300 G2 Power Supply
Cooler Master H500 White Case
Cooler Master ML360R CPU Cooler
Catalina 10.15.2

Attachments

• 20200111_032544.jpg
    20200111_032544.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200111_032400.jpg
    20200111_032400.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 80
Please click on Devices --> Properties as indicated below, then select the 3rd item:

View attachment 444341

@CaseySJ

I noticed that I have different settings in my Devices section. Do you mind taking a look at my config.plist? I have upgraded over time from the original Mojave guide, and I may have missed something.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 11.24.00 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.6 KB · Views: 92
For everybody using the Sapphire Radeon RX 580, was the GPU plug and play for you? I got a new motherboard and CPU, which solved the boot cycling issue, but I have nothing showing on my screen when connected to the RX 580 through DP. I tried DP on the integrated GPU with the same results.

EDIT: Works after changing integrated GPU in BIOS from AUTO to ENABLED.

Last edited:
Back