Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm having a problem with the Mohave to Catalina update. My build is very similar to this Golden Build, and has been very stable running 10.14.6. From initial install I updated Clover to 5100 and installed current versions of Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, and replaced OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with OcQuirks and FwRuntimeServices. Oh, and also changed from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC. Catalina update to 10.15.2 seemed to go OK, I can boot into the OS and everything is there, but the system hangs after a few minutes and only way to recover is forced power down.

I subsequently noticed that the Catalina update created a new volume on my startup drive, so instead of just having Mojave I have Mojave and Mojave - Data, but I guess that is what Catalina does, because I have the same thing on my MacBook Pro (though on the MacBook Pro I only see one volume in the Finder sidebar, on the hackintosh I see two volumes both called Mojave).

Not sure where to start on troubleshooting. Booting into my Mojave backup with the same EFI and it is stable.

I did have a strange thing with the CCC EFIClone-v2.sh shell after I did the Catalina update prep, it was trying to copy applications into the EFI volume and was getting stuck on that (not enough room there, obviously), no error messages, just showing in process. I manually copied EFI folder over for my latest backup.

Last edited:
What app were you using the Pro40 with? Have you tried using a PCIE firewire card? I used my Saffire Pro40 with a TI firewire card and got no pops or crackles under macOS. I also have the tb3 to tb2 adapter and TB to FireWire adapters, but haven't tried it with those.
Using it with Live 10.1.6 & Logic Pro.

Have yet to try with a firewire card because I don't have one here. Which one exactly are you using?

The timing of your post is fortuitous -- just in time to try the following:
  • Please download MemoryAllocation.efi from this post and copy it into the "drivers" folder in EFI partition of the USB install disk (you'll have to do this on a working Mac, of course).
  • Then try to boot the Hackintosh from the USB flash disk (press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu, then choose the USB disk).
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, select the normal "Boot macOS from...".
  • Does it work?
If this does not work, then you may try:
  • Remove USB flash disk.
  • Perform CMOS reset by following the procedure in the Designare owner's manual (short 2 pins with a flat head screwdriver with system shut down).
  • This will reset all BIOS parameters to factory defaults. So enter BIOS Setup and configure all parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
    • If you saved your BIOS parameters into a profile, you may be able to simply load them again from that profile.
  • Boot computer normally and try to boot macOS normally.
  • Do you still get the "Couldn't allocate memory" error?

Hi CaseySJ,
Thank you for all your supports.
Everything is good so far. I started all over again, formated, created USB installer and installed step by step again. It has been 3 days my hackintosh run smoothly without any issues. I knew the reason why I messed it up the first 2 times, I didn't pay attention and install UEFI Drivers in post-installation.
Thank you in advance.

My hackintosh:
i9-9900K
GPU 5700 RT
Mainboard: Gigabyte Designare Z390.
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 11.41.15 PM.jpg
IMG_2620.jpg
_DSC2596.jpg

Hi CaseySJ,
Thank you for all your supports.
Everything is good so far. I started all over again, formated, created USB installer and installed step by step again. It has been 3 days my hackintosh run smoothly without any issues. I knew the reason why I messed it up the first 2 times, I didn't pay attention and install UEFI Drivers in post-installation.
Thank you in advance.

My hackintosh:
i9-9900K
GPU 5700 RT
Mainboard: Gigabyte Designare Z390.
View attachment 443022
View attachment 443023
View attachment 443024
Glad to hear it. Nice to see those Bose Companion 5s -- one of my all-time favorite mini-speakers!

I'm having a problem with the Mohave to Catalina update. My build is very similar to this Golden Build, and has been very stable running 10.14.6. From initial install I updated Clover to 5100 and installed current versions of Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, and replaced OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with OcQuirks and FwRuntimeServices. Oh, and also changed from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC. Catalina update to 10.15.2 seemed to go OK, I can boot into the OS and everything is there, but the system hangs after a few minutes and only way to recover is forced power down.

I subsequently noticed that the Catalina update created a new volume on my startup drive, so instead of just having Mojave I have Mojave and Mojave - Data, but I guess that is what Catalina does, because I have the same thing on my MacBook Pro (though on the MacBook Pro I only see one volume in the Finder sidebar, on the hackintosh I see two volumes both called Mojave).

Not sure where to start on troubleshooting. Booting into my Mojave backup with the same EFI and it is stable.

I did have a strange thing with the CCC EFIClone-v2.sh shell after I did the Catalina update prep, it was trying to copy applications into the EFI volume and was getting stuck on that (not enough room there, obviously), no error messages, just showing in process. I manually copied EFI folder over for my latest backup.
Please try adding -wegoff to Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments in order to disable WhateverGreen. Let us know if this helps prevent the system from hanging every few minutes.

I plan to experiment with this when I get back from vacation. Are you able to connect another Mac via a Thunderbolt 3 cable?

I have connected 2 hackintosh with a thunderbolt cable .. but nothing happen on System pref, only some changes on Ioreg :|

Capture d’écran 2020-01-01 à 19.04.14.png

Capture d’écran 2020-01-01 à 19.05.19.png

What shall happen on desktop or status bar ?!

Another thing from Osy86 guide, I have the original firmware, only SSDT modified file and no NHI add-on properties. Currently, Hotplug don't work.

As @jiffyslot mentioned, the GC-Alpine Ridge can certainly be used together with the on-board Titan Ridge. However, only Thunderbolt 3 monitors and USB-C devices (not Thunderbolt devices) are expected to connect. An occasional Thunderbolt device might connect, but it would be better to attach real Thunderbolt devices to the on-board controller instead.

Yep.

I've had success with Thunderbolt 2 connecting devices like the UAD Apollo 8 Quad and the BlackMagic Design MultiDock 2. But hotswap does not work for the Thunderbolt 2 UAD Apollo 8. I've read that it's because of the absence of Thunderbolt Node implementation. For a externally-powered device as the Apollo 8, one must power-up the device before the machine is started. If you turn off the Apollo, it will not reconnect until you restart the Hack.
This is also true if I daisy-chain the UAD off of the BMD unit.

No one has written a working patch around what appears to be a Thunderbolt 2 issue. It's the same on the Z370 as the Z390 whether you’re using Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge. I've written a bit about this. People more clever than I are trying to find a solution, but I've yet to see it work. The BlackMagic Design MultiDock 2 is a different story because it's so pro that it doesn't have a power switch, just four SATA3 SSD bays and two Thunderbolt 2 ports.

FWIW, this is not the case for the Digidesign 003R which I've had to connect like this:
Hack<Apple TB3-TB2 adapter<Apple TB2-FW800 adapter<FW800-FW400 cable>Digidesign 003R audio interface. -This device I can load after boot. I can snap the power on and of and on and off all day and it always reconnects. This is also the case where I've recently reinstalled a 1394b Firewire 800 (2 port) card into a PCIe x1 slot. It works flawlessly with this device and with older FW800 drives on the second port.

I’ll go so far as to suggest that (with the sole exception of the MultiDock 2 and perhaps the bus-power UAD Arrow) people should avoid Thunderbolt devices altogether. It's a PITA that will eat up way too much time. Just fill up your internal bays with as many SSDs as you need. PCIe cards are great to expand capacity and may be a better choice for DAW and video NLE capture stuff. -But if you don't need to do this kind of work, even better.

Please try adding -wegoff to Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments in order to disable WhateverGreen. Let us know if this helps prevent the system from hanging every few minutes.
Took awhile for me to try this as I chickened out and fell back to Mohave. Stuck another scratch SSD in my computer and using that to test out update to Catalina now. I can't boot into OSX (Mohave or Catalina) with WEG disabled via the -wegoff flag (the signal to the display drops after the verbose output to the screen, instead of going to the Apple logo and the progress bar, per the disk activity light from the mono stuff is still going on, so maybe this is just a graphics thing, I tried unplugging/replugging, moving, etc., only way to recover was forced power down).

My initial try at the update I did not monitor/manually intervene in restarts, surprised it made it through. On the scratch SSD I did monitor and I think I had redirect Clover to the Boot macOS Install from from Catalina (scratch SSD) after the first restart, then that option disappeared at the next restart and I had to manually pick the Catalina boot drive.

wegoff.png

Last edited:
Hi there! I've followed this golden build with very good success! However, instead I am using an i9-9900K with 64GB of HyperX Predator 3600Mhz RAM. BIOS has been tweaked as well as EFI and all seems to be good.

However, I am noticing one small issue that is bugging me: Whenever the system goes through the initial verbose boot phase/screen, at the end of this process (both during installation and after) my display loses signal, and I have to unplug the HDMI cable from the GPU and reinsert it, then the display will reconnect and works.

I am running a Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 GPU. Any ideas what might be the issue here?

Alright, progress has been made!

If I leave "CSM Support -> Enabled" I'm able to see Gigabyte boot screen & Clover on startup.

System boots and runs fine (for the most part): sleep, audio, wifi, usb all fine.

Bluetooth is not working, I get a "Bluetooth not Available" warning. I'll work on that in a bit.
For some reason my SATA 4 and SATA 5 connected drivers are not mounting, not showing as connected in BIOS even though they are connected and powered.

THE GOOD NEWS!

My "Akitio Thunder3 Quad X" Thunderbolt3 drive enclosure connects and hot swaps!!
This was the entire reason I decided to build this rig. I could never get it to hot swap with the Alpine Ridge card even w/ a custom SSDT on my Z370 Build.

Thank you once again CaseySJ for all your hard work. Much appreciated.
I'm sure I'll squash these last few little snags shortly.

Best,
Did you fixed the SATA4/SATA5 offline problem?!

Back