Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks for your answer @CaseySJ ! I firstly tried to put my Samsung 970 EVO plus in an external M.2 case to upgrade the firmwire with a PC and Magician, but the SSD in not visible and I can't do nothing with. It's the same thing plugged in my Mcbook Pro, nothing appears. There is the disk in PC but I can't do anything with it, even if I try tor erase it with "PC Utility". The only time I can do anything with the SSD it's when it's internal and erasable with the USB boot of my hackintosh.
And I already read the tuto that you linked, but don't understand where to find "the Samsung Firmware Utility ISO file in Diskimage ISO"... I have to download it ?
Can you provide a link to the external NVMe enclosure? There are 2 types of enclosures: SATA and PCIe. The 970 EVO Plus is a high performance PCIe device and needs the more expensive PCIe NVMe enclosure.

To be honest at this point I feel it may not have been hardware related maybe something within the config file/ BIOS settings that was the issue. Although I am unsure as to why following the guide to the T still gives me the same CPU halt issue. The EFI I attached is one that uses a different config than the one in the mini guide and uses different BIOS settings than post #1. It is the config you looked into the other day.

Answer to your previous question is Yes, it is still occurring if I leave the computer on but don't move the mouse or put any input thru after about 10 or so mins it reboots back to clover menu. If I am actively using the computer and messing with stuff or working on items it stays on no issue.

I was considering making a 3rd clone of my drive and using it to try out OpenCore setup see if that solves some of the issues I believe in a previous post you mentioned another user using OpenCore reports it was a fix for a similar issue.
In System Preferences —> Energy Saver, is the computer set to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity? If so, try moving the slider all the way to the right to disable sleep. Then see if system still reboots after 10 minutes of idleness.

Can you provide a link to the external NVMe enclosure? There are 2 types of enclosures: SATA and PCIe. The 970 EVO Plus is a high performance PCIe device and needs the more expensive PCIe NVMe enclosure.

The enclosure is the Digitus External SSD Enclosure, M2-USB3.0

There's no way to upgrade without use an enclosure for the 970 Evo Plus ? Even with the bootable USB ?

The enclosure is the Digitus External SSD Enclosure, M2-USB3.0
If it’s this one, then it’s only for SATA M.2 instead of PCIe M.2. The 970 EVO Plus is not compatible with it.

You may either use a PCIe M.2 enclosure such as this one or try to search the Samsung site for the ISO file. It should be in the instructions.

@CaseySJ good morning! Hope you enjoyed the 300 @'s. This thread is a monster.

I've pinned it down to something in the BIOS. I have no idea what however. The good thing is the boot failure causes a reboot. So at least I can stay seated. :)

In System Preferences —> Energy Saver, is the computer set to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity? If so, try moving the slider all the way to the right to disable sleep. Then see if system still reboots after 10 minutes of idleness.

I have both computer and display set to never.

The first build I went thru, you mentioned most of these issues can be caused by USB port issues. So I made sure to include USB map files from “fresh install” folder as well as removed USBport.kext, and replaced it with USBinjectAll.kext but still occurring.

There's no way to upgrade without use an enclosure for the 970 Evo Plus ? Even with the bootable USB ?
If it’s this one, then it’s only for SATA M.2 instead of PCIe M.2. The 970 EVO Plus is not compatible with it.

You may either use a PCIe M.2 enclosure such as this one or try to search the Samsung site for the ISO file. It should be in the instructions.
The firmware ISO is located here:

Just expand the section Samsung SSD Firmware(24).

Back