Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks for the great Guide(s).

After Resetting the Memory Map to pass the memory allocating errors at boot it worked great, so as a beta tester I want to give you some feedback on what also worked for me:

It worked on Bios version F8 & F9b. It also works on SSD EFI and a 64GB usb 3 flash disk.

With unlocked MSR (native NVRAM) it was possible to uncheck:
DevirtualiseMmio & DisableVariableWrite in the Booter section and
also uncheck AppleCpuPMCfgLock & AppleXcpmCfgLock in the Kernel section.

Disable Watchdog & LegacyEnable also unchecked
Regarding the boot-args only slide=0 & agdpmod=pikera were used.

Btw when using Clover with unlocked MSR it was also possible to use AptioMemoryFix.efi alone and remove FwRuntimeServices, OcQuirks and EmuVariableUefi.

Ofcourse I don't know if this can work for everyone, but I just registered to say thank you and share what I have found with everyone.
Thank you -- I would give your post multiple likes if I could!

I'm on the other side of the continental United States at the moment so unable to independently verify your observations. However, my MSR 0xE2 is also unlocked so I'm eager to try this. Specifically:
  • Booter Quirks:
    • DevirtualizeMmio --> False
    • DisableVariableWrite --> False
  • Kernel Quirks:
    • AppleCpuPmCfgLock --> False
    • AppleCcpmCfgLock --> False
  • Misc Debug:
    • DisableWatchDog --> False
  • NVRAM:
    • LegacyEnable --> False
If anyone else with an unlocked MSR 0xE2 is willing to try these changes, we'd welcome your input.

On my particular (and particularly finicky) system, AptioMemoryFix fails with iGPU enabled whether or not MSR is unlocked.

That message indicates that another DTGP method already exists. So when SSDT-DTPG attempts to define DTGP, there's a conflict with the already-defined method. Suggestions:
  • Option 1: Disable the SSDT-DTPG aml file itself by setting its Enable field to false at the top section of OpenCore config.plist.
  • Option 2: Search all existing aml files to see where method DTGP is defined, and let me know.
P.S. Notice the confusion between DTPG in the filename and DTGP as the method name.
there is a method DTGP defined at the very end of the DSDT you included in the OC EFI for download, at least it was when I downloaded it yesterday.

I tried disabling (just) SSDT-DTPG.aml in the config.plist, and bizarrely, OpenCore then complained the tables didn't exist at all! For kicks and giggles, I then deleted all the ACPI entries and created new ones for all the aml files that Clover uses (in ACPI/patched). OpenCore appeared to load all those successfully (no errors), but the boot still ended with the same kernel panic as in previous tests. It must not be related to ACPI.

I'll keep playing with it in the coming days...
You're also welcome to:
  • Post a section of the boot log: log show --predicate "processID == 0" --last boot | head -800 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
    • This will create bootlog.txt in the Documents folder.
  • Compress and upload your OpenCore folder.

there is a method DTGP defined at the very end of the DSDT you included in the OC EFI for download, at least it was when I downloaded it yesterday.
That explains it. The AE_ALREADY_EXISTS error is harmless in that case because SSDT_DTPG containing the duplicate Method will simply be rejected. However, it's better to set the Enable field for SSDT_DTPG to false.

Sorry about my punctuation, at times I just type a mile a minute and do not stop to think. That being said prior to going in and making these adjustments to my config file. When I read the post it seems this is to address a long period of sleep. Would it matter at all if I have display and computer sleep set to "Never" in Energy Saver section of system preferences? I also have "wake for network access- disabled"
Setting sleep parameters to "Never" will keep the system running continuously. During idle periods, the CPU will be throttled down, but all systems will remain powered up. Although I don't have a media server (at the moment), I do have a home surveillance server that is running 24x7 with sleep disabled. That server, however, uses an ultra low-power Intel CPU, all solid-state storage, and a low-wattage PSU to minimize power consumption and heat. My preference for a home media server would be something similar, using the lowest-power components.
If not I assume then this ACPI fix is meant to address a reboot after extended period of inactivity on the computer. This is a item I want to try to get fixed, the computer will be doubling as a media server so there will be times I want it to be on for extended periods even if I am not using it so the drives can be accessed remotely.
The 300-Series RTC Fix is a good idea anyway. Please try it and see whether it makes a difference regarding long-term sleep.

Thank you -- I would give your post multiple likes if I could!

I'm on the other side of the continental United States at the moment so unable to independently verify your observations. However, my MSR 0xE2 is also unlocked so I'm eager to try this. Specifically:
  • Booter Quirks:
    • DevirtualizeMmio --> False
    • DisableVariableWrite --> False
  • Kernel Quirks:
    • AppleCpuPmCfgLock --> False
    • AppleCcpmCfgLock --> False
  • Misc Debug:
    • DisableWatchDog --> False
  • NVRAM:
    • LegacyEnable --> False
If anyone else with an unlocked MSR 0xE2 is willing to try these changes, we'd welcome your input.

On my particular (and particularly finicky) system, AptioMemoryFix fails with iGPU enabled whether or not MSR is unlocked.
Thank you very much for the kind words.

Coming from X79 I never felt a "need" for iGPU, so I disabled it.
Attached are both EFI's exactly as used, only removed Serial numbers.

Attachments

• EFI-OC.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
  • EFI-Clover.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 91
Thanks for the great Guide(s).

After Resetting the Memory Map to pass the memory allocating errors at boot it worked great, so as a beta tester I want to give you some feedback on what also worked for me:

It worked on Bios version F8 & F9b. It also works on SSD EFI and a 64GB usb 3 flash disk.

With unlocked MSR (native NVRAM) it was possible to uncheck:
DevirtualiseMmio & DisableVariableWrite in the Booter section and
also uncheck AppleCpuPMCfgLock & AppleXcpmCfgLock in the Kernel section.

Disable Watchdog & LegacyEnable also unchecked
Regarding the boot-args only slide=0 & agdpmod=pikera were used.

Btw when using Clover with unlocked MSR it was also possible to use AptioMemoryFix.efi alone and remove FwRuntimeServices, OcQuirks and EmuVariableUefi.

Ofcourse I don't know if this can work for everyone, but I just registered to say thank you and share what I have found with everyone.

How did you reset The Memory map?

Setting sleep parameters to "Never" will keep the system running continuously. During idle periods, the CPU will be throttled down, but all systems will remain powered up. Although I don't have a media server (at the moment), I do have a home surveillance server that is running 24x7 with sleep disabled. That server, however, uses an ultra low-power Intel CPU, all solid-state storage, and a low-wattage PSU to minimize power consumption and heat. My preference for a home media server would be something similar, using the lowest-power components.

The 300-Series RTC Fix is a good idea anyway. Please try it and see whether it makes a difference regarding long-term sleep.

I will give the 300 series fix a try then see if it makes a difference. As for the recommendation I appreciate it, I’ll look into it. There will be times the media server could be pushing out 3-4 4k streams prior to my first system crash on my first hackintosh attempt this build was able to do 4- 4k streams simultaneously without issue. My only bottleneck now is the speed of the drives and although SSD have dropped in price they have not dropped enough to justify a 12TB+ SSD build haha

Speaking for myself, I had to do a CMOS Reset to achieve this (which also resets BIOS parameters to defaults, so they must be re-configured).

I reflashed the bioBIOSs, set optimized default (F7), redone all the needed settings in bios again (manually).
When you set the XMP profile, then the RAM will be "trained" again, thus resetting memory map.

It is helpful to disable all the legacy stuff too. I disabled CSM, set Win 10 features to Win 10 whql and also disabled legacy USB support.

Back