Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ - firstly thanks for all your hard work - I just completed my first Hack build - followed your guide & did a fresh install of Catalina 10.15.1. I love it and this thing is a beast.

Everything seems to be running great however I don’t seem to have anything showing in System Report for Thunderbolt. One of my main aims was to build a Thunderbolt 3 compatible so I can invest in a Thunderbolt RAID storage device. I don’t have a Thunderbolt 3 device to test with yet but under the system report it is totally blank.

I am running updated F8 BIOS on the Z390 and installed all of the files in your fresh Catalina install pack - am I missing something?

Thanks again!

Modest contribution...

The memory is well recognized in 4 sticks of 32GB.
I used the hairyconipiton technique.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-12-22 à 16.00.10.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-12-22 à 16.00.10.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Capture d’écran 2019-12-22 à 16.03.54.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-12-22 à 16.03.54.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 162
It shows up under PCI . Your looking in the wrong place probably. Thanks

@CaseySJ - firstly thanks for all your hard work - I just completed my first Hack build - followed your guide & did a fresh install of Catalina 10.15.1. I love it and this thing is a beast.

Everything seems to be running great however I don’t seem to have anything showing in System Report for Thunderbolt. One of my main aims was to build a Thunderbolt 3 compatible so I can invest in a Thunderbolt RAID storage device. I don’t have a Thunderbolt 3 device to test with yet but under the system report it is totally blank.

I am running updated F8 BIOS on the Z390 and installed all of the files in your fresh Catalina install pack - am I missing something?

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

This is normal. My TB works for lots of devices, yet system report shows nothing. Beware, stuff that needs proper TB networking will not work(eg NAS connected via TB)

Casey, system is a champ and looks awesome! I installed the MSI 5700 XT after borrowing a Powercolor, but I was wondering going forward if you think this card will cause problems every time I need to update the OS? I guess it’s hard to know these things but was thinking of getting a different card to reduce future grief. :)

Thanks for all your work! System is awesome!

@tdcam - Now I do feel a bit daft! yes there it is under PCI! Thanks....

Now time to research what Thunderbolt 3 storage to buy!

The EFI was originally configured for use with the standard DSDT. After the modified version was posted by @hylkepylke all of those SSDTs became unnecessary except for Thunderbolt. (By the way I’m not sure if Thunderbolt hot plug works. It needs to be tested.)

That answers a lot for me, thanks.

FWIW, my Thunderbolt behavior remained consistent when switching to OC.

Man, and I was even willing to upgrade to F8 to give this a try... But as I have both Win 10 and 7 on here and need them operational, that's a no go... Please keep us posted on the development of this issue, as Clover is definitely not behaving for me now, won't boot the last booted volume option, which is annoying when you are testing and troubleshooting and having to constantly reboot to the same OS :)

Thanks guys for the work and effort put in thus far!
I am still on F6 with OC. Everything seems to work great. You can still use F12 in BIOS to boot to Windows. So far I can see lots of positives - e.g., long term sleep works flawlessly for the first time. It mostly worked with Clover, but I had occasional wakes in the middle of the night (with screens staying dark). Like @CaseySJ I miss some of Clover's bells and whistles, but not much.

Hey @CaseySJ out of curiosity I got sucked down into the "learn more stuff" tunnel. Are you familiar with this log parser called Consolation? I just found it in the rabbit tunnel. Pretty cool tool. He's got some other stuff too like a xattr UI.

Hey @digumo and @CaseySJ - I checked the BIOS stuff and didn't see any discrepancies (or anything else that seems like an obvious candidate for a reason why bootup is so slow.

Non-kernel things like restoring apps - is that a likely cause?

Turning PSU off and back on again seems to have fixed the Bluetooth issue. Seems to work now.

For Thunderbolt the System Information says: "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."

The output file of IORegistryExplorer is attached.
That is actually normal. We should look at System Information —> PCI instead.

Back