Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My older silver apollo with an updated tb3 card and octo satellite also work daisy chained, but I have to power them on after booting to avoid audio glitching. I’m on Catalina. Are you experiencing the same thing? Trying to figure out if it’s a hardware or OS version issue.

Did you mean to write "...power them on before booting..." -I want to use this mobo for an Apollo 8 Quad without a dock, just the Apple TB3-to-TB2 that I'm using now with my current build that includes Clover and Mojave. Thanks for any clarifications...

Is it the one made for user "Florin_"?

Nevermind. I found the full EFI Folder. Will test that soon.
Are you using OC as your daily driver? Is your NVRAM working well?
I'm still testing my new setup, but working NVRAM was one of the things I wanted to sort out before installing things like iCloud. Back in the day, if you logged into iCloud too often, your iCloud account would get locked, and as I rely quite heavily on iCloud this would be unfavorable.
BTW I used user 'joshx' DSDT that worked. I can send you mine if you want? I have some weird things in my setup: RX Vega 64 in second PCIE slot because my cooler is too big

Did you mean to write "...power them on before booting..." -I want to use this mobo for an Apollo 8 Quad without a dock, just the Apple TB3-to-TB2 that I'm using now with my current build that includes Clover and Mojave. Thanks for any clarifications...
No, actually, that how it was on my old z97 hack. You can hot plug no problems and things are stable, (192k at 256 sample buffer works fine at 80% cpu load simulation in Ableton for example) - it’s just a no go when I boot with the ua stuff already powered on (glitching at all sample rates and buffers). I need to wait until after I boot to power on or power cycle the interface if I forget. I think it’s a driver issue with Catalina but not sure. I went straight to Catalina when I built this box, so I haven’t tested the hardware with pre a Catalina OS. If I cold boot with them powered on I see different buffering options in the daw, versus when I power on after booting, so something isn’t being read correctly from the ua stuff at boot it seems. Hoping the next UA driver release will fix this. Technically the latest UA drivers are not official yet for Catalina, so I guess I’m lucky it’s working at all. Haha.

No, actually, that how it was on my old z97 hack. You can hot plug no problems and things are stable, (192k at 256 sample buffer works fine at 80% cpu load simulation in Ableton for example) - it’s just a no go when I boot with the ua stuff already powered on (glitching at all sample rates and buffers). I need to wait until after I boot to power on or power cycle the interface if I forget. I think it’s a driver issue with Catalina but not sure. I went straight to Catalina when I built this box, so I haven’t tested the hardware with pre a Catalina OS. If I cold boot with them powered on I see different buffering options in the daw, versus when I power on after booting, so something isn’t being read correctly from the ua stuff at boot it seems. Hoping the next UA driver release will fix this. Technically the latest UA drivers are not official yet for Catalina, so I guess I’m lucky it’s working at all. Haha.

X-series Thunderbolt 3 Apollo or the Thunderbolt 2 model?

X-series Thunderbolt 3 Apollo or the Thunderbolt 2 model?
It’s an older silver duo I put a tb3 card in it. Then chained to octo satellite tb2. i have an x8 also. Works fine on this machine also. All the UA tb1 tb2 and tb3 cards work in any Apollo forward and backwards, it’s just the connector really that changes - the cards do the same thing on the inside. That being said, gigabyte‘s Titan ridge controller on this board doesn’t get along with tb1 devices it seems. Maybe a firmware update from gigabyte would solve it, but I think they’ve said they won’t be doing that.

• How rapidly is the 970 EVO filling up? For example, if you select Get Info once a day to check the total Used Space, is it growing by hundreds of megabytes, growing by gigabytes, etc.?
  • What is the size of the disk (512GB, 1TB, ...) and how much Free Space is available?
  • Also check whether TRIM is enabled (it should be) by looking at System Information as follows:
View attachment 440234

• You're using a USB kext to define the USB ports. In this kext, USB ports HS11 and HS12 are not specified. If Bluetooth is connected to the internal F_USB header on the motherboard, it will not work. But you say it works with SMBIOS iMac18,3? That's puzzling...
    View attachment 440237
  • Your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder is missing a number of files:
  • All of these files are available in Catalina Fresh Install.zip (from the Catalina Mini-Guide).
  • I would recommend:
    • Deleting Racke-iMacPro-Z390Designare-XHCI.kext from the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
    • Adding USBInjectAll.kext to the same CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. This kext is in the same ZIP.
    • Deleting everything that currently exists in CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
    • Copying everything inside Copy-to-ACPI-patched (in ZIP file) to the same CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • Reboot.
1) I Solved my Problem with the system HD. It was because I used VBoxHfs.efi instead of HFSPlus.efi. I also deleted nvram.plist, to reset nvram and cloned my system with Carbon Copy.... Now I have 356GB free. Before it was 64GB.

2) Now I will work on the Bluetooth problem with 19,1. Why do you recommend to use USBInjectALL instead of my USB kext? I find my Version, the much cleaner way to define the Ports. Is something wrong with that?

1) I Solved my Problem with the system HD. It was because I used VBoxHfs.efi instead of HFSPlus.efi. I also deleted nvram.plist, to reset nvram and cloned my system with Carbon Copy.... Now I have 356GB free. Before it was 64GB.
VBoxHfs.efi is being developed for OpenCore by the Acidanthera team as part of the AppleSupportPkg. There are older versions and forked versions by other developers. Not sure if the problem you experienced was with Acidanther's fork or a different one. However, HFSPlus.efi has historically been the best option and it's the one included in the Catalina Mini-Guide.

2) Now I will work on the Bluetooth problem with 19,1. Why do you recommend to use USBInjectALL instead of my USB kext? I find my Version, the much cleaner way to define the Ports. Is something wrong with that?
Because I created the custom USB SSDT for this guide, it's a known quantity and I can troubleshoot it more easily. So I'm inclined to convert divergent configurations to the canonical form.

I think my designare is broken :| , because I've tried twice with clear cmos and nothing happens, I've always only one ethernet port...

Thank you very much, Mister CASEY, for your help, your search for solutions and your patience :):)

PS : may be it is Clover r5100, no ?
edit--I made this reply before I read all your messages. looks like you've solved your problem.

before you go to the trouble of removing the motherboard, returning it, getting a new one installed, I would strongly suggest you install windows 10 and see if the ethernet ports work. windows 10 is a free download, and to install it you don't need a license key, unless you want to activate it and keep it installed on a permanent basis. on the windows 10 install screen where you're asked to enter a license key, select "I don't have a key" and the installation will proceed.

Last edited:
I'm still testing my new setup, but working NVRAM was one of the things I wanted to sort out before installing things like iCloud. Back in the day, if you logged into iCloud too often, your iCloud account would get locked, and as I rely quite heavily on iCloud this would be unfavorable.
BTW I used user 'joshx' DSDT that worked. I can send you mine if you want? I have some weird things in my setup: RX Vega 64 in second PCIE slot because my cooler is too big
I have found two DSDTs made for this user. Will try them soon. Thanks and let us know if you got your NVRAM to work in your testing.

Yes I did! I have had a custom DSDT made for myself, and NVRAM now works with OC 0.5.3 on iMacPro1,1

Back