Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just finished the whole process in #10201, installed rx5700xt and fenvi wifi card.
All works! Including the fenvi card, rx5700xt. However since my NZXT fans and x62 cooler both need the f_usb of the mobo to work, there is no place for me to plug in the bluetooth port of the fenvi card into the mobo. So i currently don't have bluetooth and cannot test the airdrop.
Any suggestions for a workable bluetooth dongle?

Also, anything I should check? and Can I login to icloud / use apple music / appstore?

Thank you so much for the help!!!!

View attachment 439530
I don't know who's more thrilled to see this: you or me!! It's taken a long time and folks have gone through a lot of pain in the past couple of weeks. So let's hope this works for everyone...

You may sign on to iCloud, FaceTime, and Messages. But until Bluetooth is connected, features like Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop, etc. will not work.

This is what Continuity does:

P.S. Make a full bootable backup ASAP.

Last edited:
I don’t have the Plus model. I purchased the NVMe EVO 970 regular after seeing issues with firmware on the Plus. So I have 2 EVO 970 regulars.
Understood! It was someone else with the EVO Plus...

At this point I am quite puzzled. Probably good to install another operating system or redo the Catalina install from scratch.

@CaseySJ After days 2 days working flawlessly today I installed a driver for my Wacom tablet and then when I restarted the system I got a "Can't allocate runtime area" error.

Luckly my backup disk was using the free2000 one, so I had to revert back to it.

Just to inform you in case you see a similar problem elsewhere, maybe the alternative solution isn't as stable as the risky old free2000 :lol:.
Wow, so the fickleness of the memory driver continues to plague us... Despite the doom and gloom surrounding OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, it continues to be a life saver rather than a motherboard destroyer.

Last edited:
Understood! It was someone else with the EVO Plus...

At this point I am quite puzzled. Probably good to install another operating system or redo the Catalina install from scratch.

I’m going to try and install a diff operating system today just to make sure everything is good then and I’ll use that to wipe the drives again. As for redoing the Catalina install from scratch ive made the usb installer several times and started from scratch a couple times as well. It’s puzzling and def a test of patience lol. I’ve been trying to research what could be causing my original method to be able to install go thru 2 reboots and then when I get into the boot macOS from MacOS portion where I go thru the welcome GUI I begin setup and when I click “setup later” for iCloud it goes to this screen and shuts down.
Has anyone else gotten this issue?

Attachments

• F8FD3F9C-E8C6-4721-89D5-88A0B61F0C1F.jpeg
    F8FD3F9C-E8C6-4721-89D5-88A0B61F0C1F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • F4C74F6A-EC34-4252-8AED-9886B9F0FE9E.jpeg
    F4C74F6A-EC34-4252-8AED-9886B9F0FE9E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
I’m going to try and install a diff operating system today just to make sure everything is good then and I’ll use that to wipe the drives again. As for redoing the Catalina install from scratch ive made the usb installer several times and started from scratch a couple times as well. It’s puzzling and def a test of patience lol. I’ve been trying to research what could be causing my original method to be able to install go thru 2 reboots and then when I get into the boot macOS from MacOS portion where I go thru the welcome GUI I begin setup and when I click “setup later” for iCloud it goes to this screen and shuts down.
Has anyone else gotten this issue?
I have not had that problem but here is a suggestion.

unplug your ethernet connection and remove your wifi card if you're using one. then perform the Catalina installation again. since you won't have any internet connection, early in the setup dialog you'll be able to choose "I don't have ethernet" or something like that. you won't be prompted to sign into iCloud since the installer now knows you don't have connectivity. then if you can complete the setup, plug your ethernet cable back in. you can set up iCloud from System Preferences when you're ready to.

I have not had that problem but here is a suggestion.

unplug your ethernet connection and remove your wifi card if you're using one. then perform the Catalina installation again. since you won't have any internet connection, early in the setup dialog you'll be able to choose "I don't have ethernet" or something like that. you won't be prompted to sign into iCloud since the installer now knows you don't have connectivity. then if you can complete the setup, plug your ethernet cable back in. you can set up iCloud from System Preferences when you're ready to.
Great suggestion.

Hello,

I'm very happy to join this thread : it's the first time I build a hackintosh and (I think that) everything worked fine thanks to your posts ! But I have some (beginner) questions ; please forgive me if answers are in one of the 1097 pages, I didn't found them and not sure how to find the most up-to-date answers...

I bought a Z390 Designare, i9900K and a graphics card ASUS DUAL-RX580 8Go. I installed Catalina without any problem and it works great. iCloud is syncing, I get access to my photos, Messages, address book, emails, calendars... :) Every USB port and Ethernet are working out of the box. Yeah ! I did not tested yet the audio output but many outputs&inputs are listed in the system report. I didn't tested the Thunderbolt or other connectors yet.

I couldn't use MultiBeast as described for Mojave installation because it seems to exist only for preceding OS and not for Catalina. Right ?

Now that Catalina is installed and is booting fine using Clover, in verbose mode, how can I change the clover configuration to boot in non-verbose mode (except if I should avoid it - what do you advise ?). Also, is there a way to configure Clover to boot MacOs automatically after 2 seconds ?

I can't find if there is a way to get onboard WIFI & Bluetooth working... Is there ?

The TRIM function is not enabled on my SSD (SATA Express). Should I and how ?

Oh and I have a Wacom Bamboo. Is there some risks to plug it in and see if it is recognized, exactly like I do on my (real) MacBook Pro ?

Many thanks for your precious work and help ! I'm really happy to enter the hackintosh world :)

Last edited:
I couldn't use MultiBeast as described for Mojave installation because it seems to exist only for preceding OS and not for Catalina. Right ?

Right.

Now that Catalina is installed and is booting fine using Clover, in verbose mode, how can I change the clover configuration to boot in non-verbose mode (except if I should avoid it - what do you advise ?). Also, is there a way to configure Clover to boot MacOs automatically after 2 seconds ?

Remove the -v argument in the boot section of the config.plist file on your EFI Partition. To mount the Efi Partition use the clover configurator. Check twice that you did not change anything else before saving and rebooting.

I can't find if there is a way to get onboard WIFI & Bluetooth working... Is there ?

Not yet but a Fenvi 1919 or 1200m is working oob and relatively cheap with around 45 resp. 30 Euros for the latter.

@CaseySJ I wanted to give the fresh Catalina Install another chance since I got it running via the upgrade path the other day. Meanwhile I tried everything to get it up and running from the mini guide but I am repeatedly stuck with the gioscreenlockstate 3 when running the clover bootloader for the first time to get into the catalina installer. I stick 100% to your guide and have a totally stripped down system. So F8 Bios with all settings accordingly and the files you provide in the attachement to the mini guide post. Possible Hardware difference is 9700K vs 9900K and my Samsung M2. I got an EVO 970 Plus (with latest Firmware) and an ) 970 EVO (tried both). HDMI is running from rear IO into 32" BenQ.

When I switch to the very basic config.plist from your initial Mojave install guide its running fine and I can boot into the installer. I then use FAKE SMC and the 2000free version with the catalina USB Installer...

Not sure whether i can complete the install but at least I can boot into the installer :) System was installed after approx 15min in total. Catalina up and running with iGPU. Now I need to take care of post install and the GPU.
Lets elaborate

Last edited:
Back