Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Movie trailers are not DRM protected. In my case with iMac19,1 and iGPU enabled, Apple TV+ movies do not play unless I use both shikigva and shiki-id with WEG 1.3.4. I'm hoping that WEG 1.3.5 fixes the underlying issues for most users, but I haven't yet experimented with it. May have to add that to my (ever growing) to-do list for the weekend. :)
I reported in an earlier post that I'm running with shiki 144 without any issues. It seemed to improve the balance of iGPU/dGPU use within FCP for me. No other DRM issues were changed when going from 32.

Movie trailers are not DRM protected. In my case with iMac19,1 and iGPU enabled, Apple TV+ movies do not play unless I use both shikigva and shiki-id with WEG 1.3.4. I'm hoping that WEG 1.3.5 fixes the underlying issues for most users, but I haven't yet experimented with it. May have to add that to my (ever growing) to-do list for the weekend. :)

I have some trailer that definitely is protected.

In this documentation for Shiki, a downloadable trailer is linked. I believe it's FairPlay 1.0. Depending on your config you can't play this video. I noticed in the past that if you play remotely, it gets blocked out unlike other videos (which lag bad because VNC is not meant for video, but they play).

I did find some good results though.

I tested with iGPU on and off with an iMac19,1 SMBIOS and WEG 1.3.5.

TEST 1 = Protected (FairPlay 1.0?) movie trailer file in QuickTime from Shiki manual
TEST 2 = Amazon Prime Trailer (Safari)
TEST 3 = Amazon Prime Trailer (Firefox)
TEST 4 = Apple TV+ 7 day trial TV show (not movie)

From this, it would be great to get feedback on Netflix and Apple TV+ movies. The Apple TV+ exclusive shows were free to watch with the trial but not the movies so I didn't test those.

iGPU Shiki Config Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Test 4
Enabled shikigva=16 Pass Pass Pass Pass
Enabled shikigva=80 Fail Fail Pass Fail
Enabled shikigva=144 Fail Pass Pass Pass
Enabled shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 Pass Fail Pass Pass
Enabled shikigva=160 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 Fail Fail Pass Pass
Enabled None Pass Pass Pass Fail
Disabled shikigva=16 Pass Fail Pass Pass
Disabled shikigva=80 Pass Fail Pass Fail
Disabled shikigva=144 Pass Fail Pass Pass
Disabled shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 Pass Fail Pass Pass
Disabled shikigva=160 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 Pass Fail Pass Pass
Disabled None Pass Fail Pass Pass

The only case where everything I tested worked was headless iGPU enabled with shikigva=16 and no shiki-id spoof. Nothing got Safari to play the Amazon trailer with iGPU off.

Last edited:
@CODYQX4

Now that's how we conduct experiments! Nicely done!

EDIT: Will add this to a consolidated list of mini-guides.

Last edited:
This calls for some tough love:
  • Did you make a full bootable backup?
  • Did you see that this thread is sprinkled with warnings about making full bootable backups before any macOS update or macOS upgrade?
  • Did you see all the warnings about anything can go wrong with Hackintosh at any time and the single best line of defense (and the single best way of maintaining your sanity and peace of mind) is to have a full bootable backup?
  • Did you know that making a full bootable backup costs about $35 for a SATA SSD and about $8 for a USB 3.0 enclosure? And Carbon Copy Cloner costs $39.99 for a household license(not just one Mac, but all Macs in household).
    • In the pending update to Build Guide, I will make this a requirement.
  • Are you feeling the pain now? All of this could have been avoided if you had a full bootable backup.
  • If you don't have another macOS system, then please use a friend's Mac to insert the USB install disk, mount the EFI partition, and post a screenshot of the expanded CLOVER folder. We need to see which memory fix driver is installed in the CLOVER drivers folder and then install the correct driver if needed.
Again, to everyone reading this: Make a full bootable backup right now. You have no excuse and you will thank yourself a million times in the future because you did the right thing today.
  • Mojave guide for full bootable backup.
  • Catalina guide for full bootable backup.
Sorry for late reply just got the machine arranged and I am going to shared the details required by you for helping me out to fix the hackintosh sir.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 9.00.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 9.00.07 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
This problem should be easy to circumvent:
  • In the EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder of the USB install disk, delete both OcQuirks-4.efi and FwRuntimeServices.efi and replace them with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi which is found at the bottom of Post #1.

This worked, but I'm almost giving up on the 5700 XT. Everything that I tried doesn't make any difference. I tried so many combinations that I need a list:

5700xt tests that didn't worked:
  • iGPU disabled
  • without WEG
  • WEG 1.3.4
  • WEG 1.3.5
  • Pikera flag, with and without
  • shikigva, with and without, with value 32 and 80
  • Above 4G Decoding, enable and disabled
  • BIOS F6 and F8
  • All the ports, one by one, VGA, 3xDP and 1xHDMI (I'm using a single 4k monitor)
  • iMacPro1,1
Other problems
  • Blank screen on boot when using only the iGPU with the corresponding config.plist and "Catalina 10.15.1 Fresh Install" EFI
  • OcQuirks-4.efi and FwRuntimeServices.efi doesn't boot with the USB disk, but It works with the main disk (NVMe). :crazy:
Tests with Vega64
  • The only test that it didn't boot was without WEG.
  • I can boot it even with the iGPU config.plist. This is how I installed Catalina.
  • Running now with 1.3.5 WEG without shikigva flags (I don't care about DRM)
The most frustrating thing is finding people with the same hardware working or a lot of people that had this problem, and it was solved using the pikera flag. There is one guy that it didn't but he says that the problem was his dual monitor setup, that is not my case and his mobo was totally different.

Anyway, almost in each one of these test I had to unplug DP, unplug the VGA power plug, separate the 8-pin to 6-pin, take off the card, install the other one, plug energy, plug DP, FAIL, reverse and try it again... SIXTEEN TIMES... I started to wonder if I shouldn’t spend all this time earning money and then buy a real Mac instead. hahhahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Just attempted this and in verbose gave me this didn’t launch installer. States at the bottom ** In memory Panic stackshot succeeded ** bytes traced 273024**

Should I try to grab more of the verbose before this section to try and narrow down what’s causing it @CaseySJ was hopeful this would work for me me since you were able to successfully make it happen cause of the similar builds.

Should I try to grab more of the verbose before this section to try and narrow down what’s causing it @CaseySJ was hopeful this would work for me me since you were able to successfully make it happen cause of the similar builds.
I plan to work on Phase 3 this weekend and in the process repeat the whole thing from Stage 1 to Stage 3. If successful, will update the mini-guide. So for now it's best to just double-check all steps and wait for a day or two.

Hey. Sometimes all of my USB, audio, BT is switch off. Only hard reboot via reset helps with it.
Mouse stop working, sound stop playing, keyboard, too. :(

Anyone have this problem, too?

Guys, i updated my WEG and LILU yesterday night on the EFI and can´t boot this morning. Grmbll***

1. Is there any way to get into the system and swap these files for the older versions? I got several Macs and Win machines here, the SDD is a M2 though and I need a external case for it ...

2. Can I enable -v in the clover menue at start-Up? How?

Thank you. It seems I cant think right now. :-/ Will go out and buy a dedicated Hackintosh USB-Backup Disk now ....

Guys, i updated my WEG and LILU yesterday night on the EFI and can´t boot this morning. Grmbll***

1. Is there any way to get into the system and swap these files for the older versions? I got several Macs and Win machines here, the SDD is a M2 though and I need a external case for it ...

2. Can I enable -v in the clover menue at start-Up? How?

Thank you. It seems I cant think right now. :-/ Will go out and buy a dedicated Hackintosh USB-Backup Disk now ....

Hi there/

Just use your UniBeast install USB drive to boot your PC with. Once you get to the Clover menu, choose your existing drive. Things may not work as expected because it hasn't been configured, but that should get you into the system. Once there, it depends on where you installed Lilu and Whatevergreen as to what you need to do to revert.

Back