Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I don't know what to say, the only thing left to do is replacing the USB drive
No need for that!

It's better to wait a couple of days. As I work on Phase 3, I'll repeat the entire process from scratch.

@CaseySJ -- Suggestion. For all the "official" single posts you have floating in this thread, might I suggest using a designated keyword term that will pull them all up when doing a search?

I know I don't have them bookmarked and you likely do. But for the sake of making it easy on you to help other people you could tell them something like this.

"Just search for all official posts within this thread by searching for *** [Official]"

Where you use the tripple asterisks (as you've already been doing) augmented by some type of designated keyword such as [Official] or [Moderator].

Yes, as a software developer, you, I and others are aware we can filter a search query by the posting author, but this isn't always obvious to others. As a user interface designer as well, I know that everytime you can reduce the workflow friction you reduce your feedback loop where people have to ask you.

So, using a designated identifier will help you distinguish all your posts from the others on this forum.

Heck, you could use this (example)

*** [CaseySJ_The_Master_Hackintosher]: OcQuirks / FwRuntimeServices Experiment: Conclusion ***

Of course, that may be a bit harder for people to remember. ;)

Just trying to make things easier on you!

[Update] Further developer thinking does reveal that the search will also pull up quoted responses which include the keyword tagged post. Although that may be a good thing.
The plan is to consolidate all of those links into Post #1 under a new spoiler or new sub-section. Might do it over this (rainy) weekend.

That looks like a wonderful monitor. In fact I just ordered one! If you're not happy with it let me know while I can still cancel it. :)

That looks like a wonderful monitor. In fact I just ordered one! If you're not happy with it let me know while I can still cancel it. :)
I’m super happy with it! Where did you buy it? I had to replace it twice because of poor uniformity, make sure you have a great return policy!

I’m super happy with it! Where did you buy it? I had to replace it twice because of poor uniformity, make sure you have a great return policy!
Thanks for the heads up -- I saw similar comments in Amazon and B&H reviews. Order was placed through Adorama where I had $20 store credit. Like Amazon, they have a self-return capability on the website.

Thanks for the heads up -- I saw similar comments in Amazon and B&H reviews. Order was placed through Adorama where I had $20 store credit. Like Amazon, they have a self-return capability on the website.
Sounds great, LCDs are like lottery, especially if you use them for graphic stuff of photos...

@CaseySJ Something I noticed with the recent WEG update.

We are using shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 in order to fix DRM and/or use iMac19,1 SMBIOS if we disable iGPU (OcQuirks has allowed me to persistently keep that on though for awhile now).

Recent commits to WEG are now replacing 32 with 160.

That file also implies that providing shiki values for this aren't needed on OpenCore. I'm back on Clover currently as Clover+OcQuirks works with iGPU but OpenCore doesn't (maybe I should see if 0.5.3 fixed that).

What else catches my eye is if we even need the board spoof. The DRM setup is very confusing and varies across builds.

This text in particular:
Code:
How can I enable AMD DRM for Music, Safari, TV, leaving IGPU for other applications?
Add shikigva=80 argument to boot-args or to DeviceProperties in any GPU. If this causes freezes, fallback to shikigva=16. If hardware accelerated iTunes content decoding is supported, 128 bit may also be added, i.e. shikigva=208 or shikigva=144 correspondingly. Please note that not all DRM types are available in different configurations, follow check list to diagnose DRM support.

I think I found the board spoof before you posted it, as it was suggested as a replacement to

Some people here have had issues with too little iGPU usage, or not enough dGPU usage. I wonder if we could all benefit from testing shiki more.

I might be misunderstanding but it sounds as if shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 effectively disables iGPU and yet still some kinds of DRM break. I don't have Netflix (for Safari DRM testing) or AppleTV+ but those are what I see reported broken the most.

Since I can boot with iGPU, wouldn't mind getting as much DRM working as I might use while keeping iGPU working. I haven't tested iGPU at all to even see if it's used, as I don't really use high GPU as is and don't have any streaming services. Last time I tested, I could play a downloaded iTunes movie trailer successfully.

What else catches my eye is if we even need the board spoof. The DRM setup is very confusing and varies across builds.

This text in particular:
Code:
How can I enable AMD DRM for Music, Safari, TV, leaving IGPU for other applications?
Add shikigva=80 argument to boot-args or to DeviceProperties in any GPU. If this causes freezes, fallback to shikigva=16. If hardware accelerated iTunes content decoding is supported, 128 bit may also be added, i.e. shikigva=208 or shikigva=144 correspondingly. Please note that not all DRM types are available in different configurations, follow check list to diagnose DRM support.

I think I found the board spoof before you posted it, as it was suggested as a replacement to

Some people here have had issues with too little iGPU usage, or not enough dGPU usage. I wonder if we could all benefit from testing shiki more.

I might be misunderstanding but it sounds as if shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 effectively disables iGPU and yet still some kinds of DRM break. I don't have Netflix (for Safari DRM testing) or AppleTV+ but those are what I see reported broken the most.

Since I can boot with iGPU, wouldn't mind getting as much DRM working as I might use while keeping iGPU working. I haven't tested iGPU at all to even see if it's used, as I don't really use high GPU as is and don't have any streaming services. Last time I tested, I could play a downloaded iTunes movie trailer successfully.
Movie trailers are not DRM protected. In my case with iMac19,1 and iGPU enabled, Apple TV+ movies do not play unless I use both shikigva and shiki-id with WEG 1.3.4. I'm hoping that WEG 1.3.5 fixes the underlying issues for most users, but I haven't yet experimented with it. May have to add that to my (ever growing) to-do list for the weekend. :)

Back