Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi! Sorry that folder I made myself I remember. I thought that's where they should go. Here is the terminal screenshot:
Please backup the CLOVER folder in the EFI partition of your Catalina SSD and try the attached version. It should, of course, be copied inside the EFI folder in the EFI partition.

Some of the fixes made:
  • VirtualSmc.efi was missing from drivers64UEFI.
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen were old versions. You were using WhateverGreen 1.3.3, but Catalina 10.15.1 requires 1.3.4.
  • Enabled some checkboxes in ACPI section of Clover Configurator.
The copies of Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC in your /Library/Extensions folder will not be used because VirtualSMC is not present there. This is okay. You may in fact remove those kexts from /Library/Extensions and then run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 78
Yes, I can. I already tried it several times. It says immediately that I need to restart. It starts the installation with the Apple logo and a progress bar before rebooting, and then after reboot it tries to boot the installer environment with no luck. I have to reset the PC and select "Boot mac OS from Mojave" manually from the Clover menu to boot my system.
@CaseySJ OK, I was able to solve the problem. Looks like it was caused by the replacement of FakeSMC with VirtualSMC. I did that based on your guide and everything seemed to work until trying to install the security update. Now I reverted back to FakeSMC, and now the installer environment was able to boot and it installed the update.

@McGregorWin

If the CLOVER folder in my previous reply works, then mount EFI partition of the Catalina SSD and replace config.plist with the new version attached here. This one enables the iGPU (Intel UHD 630) and sets headless platform mode (0x3E980003).

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 83
@CaseySJ OK, I was able to solve the problem. Looks like it was caused by the replacement of FakeSMC with VirtualSMC. I did that based on your guide and everything seemed to work until trying to install the security update. Now I reverted back to FakeSMC, and now the installer environment was able to boot and it installed the update.
Glad it's working now, but surprised that reverting to FakeSMC solved the problem... Looking through your CLOVER folder posted earlier, VirtualSMC was installed correctly.

@CaseySJ

Just wondering if there is anything else I should do with the computer before I go ahead and start reinstalling programs and whatnot. Sometimes the screen is a strange color when it comes out of sleep or gets shut down, like a weird green but so far it just fixes itself after a minute.

@McGregorWin

If the CLOVER folder in my previous reply works, then mount EFI partition of the Catalina SSD and replace config.plist with the new version attached here. This one enables the iGPU (Intel UHD 630) and sets headless platform mode (0x3E980003).

Hey, the EFI you sent result in black screen. No crash just black screen after load is complete. Should I update the files I deleted from library? What should I do next?

So I hardly ever reply in these forums even though I read them alot. But I wanted to say thanks for this great build guide. This is the 4th hack I've build over the years to support my advertinsing photography workstation needs and this one was by far the easiest yet. My build uses slightly different parts in some cases but no problems. Very few glitches and what I did have were easy to resolve by simple visiting this monster thread.

So far everything seems to be working. I dont know about Thunderbolt as I've not used it. I have 6 SSd drives ( I added a pci sata adapter) and 2 Nmve's along with an 8 bay Synology NAS attached to this beast. Its fast and so far very reliable. I dual boot wiht Windows 10 so I can sim race and even that is working flawlessly. I'm really happy.

Thanks Casey and the rest of the community for all of the hard work.
Glad to hear it, and especially nice to see that you searched through this “monster” thread to fix glitches as they occurred!

Hey, the EFI you sent result in black screen. No crash just black screen after load is complete. Should i update the files i deleted from library? What should i do next?
It would be good to enable “verbose” by pressing Spacebar at the Clover Boot Menu. You will then see some quick settings. The first one is a checkbox control for Verbose mode. Simply move down to it (down arrow key) and press Spacebar to toggle the checkbox on. Then try booting Catalina. You will see a lot of log messages. If the boot process hangs, please capture a photo and post.

Quick Aside:

Just played with the new 16-Inch MacBook Pro and found that it uses non-headless platform ID 0x3E9B0008 instead of 0x3E9B0007. Device id is set to 0x3E9B and SMBIOS is MacBookPro16,1.

Catalina Build number is 19B2106.

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.28.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.31.28 PM.png

Last edited:
It would be good to enable “verbose” by pressing Spacebar at the Clover Boot Menu. You will then see some quick settings. The first one is a checkbox control for Verbose mode. Simply move down to it (down arrow key) and press Spacebar to toggle the checkbox on. Then try booting Catalina. You will see a lot of log messages. If the boot process hangs, please capture a photo and post.

Here is the pic from last thing it shows, something to do with iGPU
The second image called 5700xt is with igpu disabled in bios and trying to launch

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 58
  • 5700xt.jpg
    5700xt.jpg
    943.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back