Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
[BIG TIME EDIT - 5 minutes later] This is the hazard of accidentally tricking yourself because your testing if flawed. The above results are bogus because I was working with a config_testing.plist file which I needed to switch to within clover. My default config.plist still had dart=0 set in boot args so the GPU, while showing was obviously flatlined because it was disabled! Argggg!!! Even still, I am noticing improvements by bumping the iGPU memory, but not as much as if the dGPU is doing the whole job.
Clearly I have more learning to do about all this stuff as dart=0 doesn't have anything to do with the iGPU but rather "Disables VT-x or VT-d" - straight from the clover docs.

As of recent, I've been able to boot with DVMT Pre-allocated at 256Mb and total allocation set to MAX for the iGPU. FCP is still not as fast as when the iGPU is disabled and I'm hopeful that someone has the info which allows FCP to use the dGPU but still keep the iGPU enabled for encoding/decoding for H264/H265.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 designare
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
@CaseySJ
Hello Casey. After multiple tests, I disconnected all usb connections to test them one by one. And I ended up finding a single connection that accepts the Super Drive (USB 3.1 red). :headbang: I attach a screenshot for those who encounter this problem.

See you later.

IMG_3183.jpg

Motherboard
Asus ROG Hero VIII Z170 - 3802
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Disabling a GPU in PCIe Slot 2
If you have both macOS and Windows installed on this system, and are using an Nvidia graphics card in Slot 2 (the middle long x16 PCIe slot) that works only under Windows, then it is possible to make that card invisible to macOS. This will prevent any issues in macOS related to the unsupported Nvidia card; even the default VESA graphics driver will not load.

To render the Slot 2 GPU invisible:
  1. Download the attached SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml.
  2. Mount the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.
  3. Copy the file to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder in the EFI partition.
  4. Reboot.
This would be great for my next dual-boot Hackintosh - Sapphire RX 580 and Strix 1080 Ti

The Nvidia card would be invisible to macOS
Would the 1080 Ti card be completely OFF - no spinning fans/power draw/heat?

Thanks for your help.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@zangiamit91

The F8 BIOS has been working well -- no issues. However, Gigabyte has not enabled Legacy Mode for Thunderbolt 1 devices in the latest BIOS. Although Gigabyte can technically enable this mode, they are not permitted or authorized by Intel to do so. Unfortunately for us, this means Titan Ridge-based systems have extremely limited compatibility with TB1 devices.
thanks casey

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@CaseySJ or anyone who has tried this, what SMBIOS would you recommend for a small build without GPU? Planning to put macOS on my small workstation box, Z390 with a i5-9400f (no built-in graphics) and external GPU (RX 590). Since I'm using Z390, should I go for macmini 8? Or is there a iMac19 variant that I can use?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide :)
For Catalina, I recommend using a non-T2 SMBIOS. You should be able to use iMac19,1 with or without iGPU. If you use iMac19,2 then it's necessary to use a patched version of USBInjectAll from this site.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
This would be great for my next dual-boot Hackintosh - Sapphire RX 580 and Strix 1080 Ti

The Nvidia card would be invisible to macOS
Would the 1080 Ti card be completely OFF - no spinning fans/power draw/heat?

Thanks for your help.
The GTX 1080 Ti will not be completely off, but macOS will not assign any driver to it. This means it won't initialize the card on the PCIe bus, so the card will only exhibit pre-initialization behavior that is coded into its firmware.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, I’m booting from my Samsung 970 Evo NVMe (M2P Slot) with Mojave (Clover installed on the EFI partition of the same disk), and my Corsair MP510 in M2M slot with Catalina (and Clover installed on this disk) boots fine just as well. Doesn’t matter here on which disk Clover is installed, it works every time.

As you see here, there are more parameters available for OcQuirks:
The important one that made it work for me is "DevirtualiseMmio" set to "True". But perhaps you find some other relevant parameters there?
I tried FwFirmwareServices/OcQuirks back on October 15, but it failed on both USB and NVMe. So it is especially encouraging to see that it's working on non-PCIe boot devices in my admittedly picky system. I'll certainly try recompiling it with other settings.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Hero VIII Z170 - 3802
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
The GTX 1080 Ti will not be completely off, but macOS will not assign any driver to it. This means it won't initialize the card on the PCIe bus, so the card will only exhibit pre-initialization behavior that is coded into its firmware.
Great!!!
Thanks for the quick reply.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@CaseySJ FINALLY the solution to get rid of the "evil" OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi is here! :) EDIT: Please test if it works reliably. It works great on my system and on some others’ who have tried it, too.
You can try using the combination of "FwRuntimeServices.efi" and "OcQuirks.efi" instead of "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi". It’s important to build OcQuirks.efi with the option "DevirtualiseMmio" set to "True" or it won’t work. But never mind, I have attached the already correctly built file here. The "slide=0" boot argument is still needed.
So: Just delete "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi" from EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI and place the two attached files there instead.
EmuVariableUefi.efi is required for it to work.
I hope this works for your system as well. Mine is a Vanilla build, but I don’t think this will make a difference here.
Thanks so much to user "karacho" from the German Hackintosh forum for telling me about OcQuirks! We were talking about OpenCore and then I thought I’ll give this a try with Clover.
There's something at work that I don't believe we understand fully yet, as my system, which as far as I can tell is identical to Casey's (albeit mine with a Radeon IV) works beautifully with AptioMemoryFix - go figure!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi @CaseySJ so as promised, an update about the dropping Bluetooth connection. Unfortunately, it's still recurring. And I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but I think it's gotten more frequently. Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe it's just a hardware problem (maybe I got a lemon Fenvi card or something). And I'm willing to just buy another one if it's really the case. The only thing stopping me is what if it's not the card and something else? So I would just like to ask if you encountered a similar problem from any of your fellows here? It's becoming really frustrating and affecting work more and more. Please help. Anyone? :crazy:
I had exactly the same problem, but then due to a mistake on my part I ended doing a fresh build and I now no longer have the problem. What was causing it I don't know