Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've reported this issue in the forum before. But it has not been fixed yet. My mac freezes randomly.

After a while, the screen returns to the login screen and all applications are terminated. Or freeze all the time until I kill ...

Only the mouse pointer works. I can only turn off the system from the power button.

This behavior happens a lot when I use FCPX. However, it freezes sooner or later when using mac.
This problem persists when I enable IGPU in BIOS or set Vega 64 as primary in BIOS.
Is it related to PlatformID?

I will upload config.plist.
Please help someone. I thank you for reading this.
  • Do you need to enable IGPU with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1?
    • The IGPU is currently set to Platform ID 0x3E920003 (headless), but you have also defined frame buffer connector patches which are not needed in headless mode.
    • I would recommend disable IGPU in BIOS and delete the 2nd entry in Devices --> Properties as shown:
    • Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.01.08 AM.png
  • Also delete SSDT-Z390-VEGA64.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched. This is no longer needed or recommended.
  • Then clean up the CLOVER/kexts/Otherfolder. Here's what it looks like right now:
    • Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.04.04 AM.png
    • Keep the files in the red boxes only.
    • Check whether the files in blue boxes are already in /Library/Extensions.
      • If they are not in /Library/Extensions, copy them there and run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.
      • Then delete them from CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • All files that are not in red or blue boxes will already be present in /Library/Extensions. So delete them from CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • Then change Inject Kexts to Detect as shown:
    • Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.09.33 AM.png

UPDATE: It seems you might be using the KGP version of FakeSMC and its plugins. Those kexts are no longer supported on this system. Please replace these files:
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • LPCSensors.kext
  • CPUSensors.kext
  • ACPISensors.kext
with FakeSMC which you can download by clicking here. If the above files also exist in /Library/Extensions, delete them from there and replace them with FakeSMC, then rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
LC, Performa, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please start with the suggestions in Fixing Sleep and Wake Issues:
If this does not help, please let us know and we'll try something else.

Yes, this is what I did again, but it didn't solve the problem. thanks for your kindness.

Motherboard
GigabyteZ390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
EmuVariable and Messages have generally been problem free on this system. Some comments/suggestions:
  • Could your copy of EmuVariable be corrupted? Have you tried downloading it again?
  • Are you using AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000?
  • In your config.plist --> SMBIOS section, are all of the fields populated, including Board Serial Number?
    View attachment 431792
  • Now let's make sure your system has en0 (ethernet port 0) defined. Lack of en0is the cause of many such problems.
    • Open Terminal and type ifconfig
    • You will see a bunch of lines, but look for en0 on the left side, as follows:
      Code:
      en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
      options=40b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING,CHANNEL_IO>
      ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
      inet6 xxxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%en0 prefixlen 64 secured scopeid 0x8
      inet 192.168.1.31 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
      nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
      media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>)
    • Notice that en0 in my case exists and has an inet (or IP address) assigned. Do you have a similar output?
Thanks for the reply.
  • I used the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from the Post-Install files. Ive deleted and replaced it. Same result.
  • I'm using the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
  • The SMBIOS is populated.
  • The NIC is correct as you stated.
I'm also seeing a file nvram.plist in the root EFI folder. Not sure if this plays a roll or not.

Edit: I deleted the nvram.plist file and the system booted with the EmuVariableUefi inserted. Strange!!!

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, this is what I did again, but it didn't solve the problem. thanks for your kindness.
Let's get some background information:
  • Are you running Mojave 10.14.6 or something else?
  • Was the system waking from sleep normally for many weeks or many months, but now everything is very slow after waking up?
  • Were any new devices installed in the system recently?
    • Any new PCIe cards?
    • Any new SATA drives?
    • Any new internal USB devices?
  • Please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then upload the saved file. This will give us more insight into your system configuration.
  • Which WiFi/BT card are you using?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the reply.
  • I used the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from the Post-Install files. Ive deleted and replaced it. Same result.
  • I'm using the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
  • The SMBIOS is populated.
  • The NIC is correct as you stated.
I'm also seeing a file nvram.plist in the root EFI folder. Not sure if this plays a roll or not.

Edit: I deleted the nvram.plist file and the system booted with the EmuVariableUefi inserted. Strange!!!
EmuVariableUefi provides a software alternative to NVRAM. It creates and maintains nvram.plist in which all NVRAM values are stored. If this file is corrupted or damaged, the EmuVariableUefi could crash. Deleting the file was a good move. A new one should be created automatically.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
@CaseySJ - I can't find the post but curious how Windows handles EFI updates for Feature Upgrades when it's living on a SATA SSD and Mojave is living on the top M.2 slot? Is it advisable to install Windows into the top M2M slot always or if it's living in SATA it won't interfere?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@CaseySJ - I can't find the post but curious how Windows handles EFI updates for Feature Upgrades when it's living on a SATA SSD and Mojave is living on the top M.2 slot? Is it advisable to install Windows into the top M2M slot always or if it's living in SATA it won't interfere?
This came up once before but I’m not sure we got a definitive answer. My understanding is that PCIe buses and SATA buses are enumerated separately, so if MacOS is on the PCIe bus (PCIe NVMe SSD) and Windows is on the SATA bus, then, to quote Rudyard Kipling, never the twain shall meet..er, interfere.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@bluepr0

That thing, which shall not be named, is just yelling my name! Intel has debunked rumors of Ice Lake desktop products being delayed to 2022, so I would love to build an Ice Lake successor to the Designare next year with high-end desktop (HEDT) components to rival the new Mac Pro. What better housing for it than that which shall not be named!!

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A II-1001
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@bluepr0

That thing, which shall not be named, is just yelling my name! Intel has debunked rumors of Ice Lake desktop products being delayed to 2022, so I would love to build an Ice Lake successor to the Designare next year with high-end desktop (HEDT) components to rival the new Mac Pro. What better housing for it than that which shall not be named!!
I cross fingers hoping the next chipset that will replace the Z390 is able to get "native NVRAM" and that the new Designare comes with 2 DP-in (or that we can somehow route the iGPU or dGPU to the TB3 connectors to make the LG 5k run at its full potential. Also will be interesting to see what Apple does with native Wifi 6 supports and Bluetooth, because if they add drivers then it will be Hackintosh-paradise!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
This came up once before but I’m not sure we got a definitive answer. My understanding is that PCIe buses and SATA buses are enumerated separately, so if MacOS is on the PCIe bus (PCIe NVMe SSD) and Windows is on the SATA bus, then, to quote Rudyard Kipling, never the twain shall meet..er, interfere.
Thanks Casey - I'll just stick with the M2M strategy for now for Windows.