Motherboard
HP Probook 450 G6-Clover
CPU
i7-8565U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
Be careful how you set the smbios, if your Mojave version (installer) is 10.14.4 or older, please do not set the smbios as iMac19.1, just used macmini, leave it as it is.
If your Mojave installer is 10.14.5 or newer then you can set the smbios as iMac19.1.
Thanks. I failed to mention that my installer is the latest Mojave 10.14.6, with the latest security patches from last month. I'm also running a rather recent Clover version (think it's 5070, but not 100% sure).
As soon as I get the hardware working properly and such I'll download and run a fresh install of Catalina, right now I'm just collecting info :) THX!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX-580
Thanks. I failed to mention that my installer is the latest Mojave 10.14.6, with the latest security patches from last month. I'm also running a rather recent Clover version (think it's 5070, but not 100% sure).
As soon as I get the hardware working properly and such I'll download and run a fresh install of Catalina, right now I'm just collecting info :) THX!
That's a great news that your installer is newer than mine.

Cataline does NOT support 32 bit software and plugin anymore. If you plan to use any 32 bit plugin(VST or AU) in the future, forget about it. it won't work in Catalina

I use Luna Display device to setup my iPad as the 2nd monitor so I don't need to upgrade to Catalina for sidecar. Luna Display runs super low latency (almost smoothly) and it also allows me to change the resolution of iPad which sidecar can't do.

Motherboard
HP Probook 450 G6-Clover
CPU
i7-8565U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
That's a great news that your installer is newer than mine.

Cataline does NOT support 32 bit software and plugin anymore. If you plan to use any 32 bit plugin(VST or AU) in the future, forget about it. it won't work in Catalina...
Thanks for the heads up. I've been running 64bit for a while, so should be OK on that front. Which SMBIOS are you using, iMac19 or iMac Pro?

Catalina 10.5(security update) is out, try to update it today,

This time just restart , didnt update it at all.

Anyone else have this problem too?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX-580
Thanks for the heads up. I've been running 64bit for a while, so should be OK on that front. Which SMBIOS are you using, iMac19 or iMac Pro?
Because I'm still on Mojave 10.14.4 therefore I set my smbios as Macmini instead of iMac 19.1. It won't cause any side effect to the processor or ram as I use macmini as smbios.

iMac Pros use Intel Xeon Processor not Coffeelake. So for you, you should stay with iMac 19.1 because you're using Intel i9-9900K not Xeon. If you look it up on Apple.com, you'll will find out the iMac Pro's spec

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Probook 450 G6-Clover
CPU
i7-8565U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
Because I'm still on Mojave 10.14.4 therefore I set my smbios as Macmini instead of iMac 19.1. It won't cause any side effect to the processor or ram as I use macmini as smbios.

iMac Pros use Intel Xeon Processor not Coffeelake. So for you, you should stay with iMac 19.1 because you're using Intel i9-9900K not Xeon. If you look it up on Apple.com, you'll will find out the iMac Pro's spec
O you haven't updated your Mojave install?

I know that the iMac Pros use a different platform, but I've seen a few posts in this thread mention switching to iMac Pro1:1 for better performance with audio/video. I think one of the revisions of the original guide even mentions this, though I could be wrong. This is why I'm hoping to get some input from those that work with audio and not just video, about their experiences with either of these SMBIOS and performance. Furthermore, does leaving the IGPU enabled if using iMac19:1 perform better? Or would it be better to turn it off (will Logic crash just like FCPX)? Just a few questions based on what I've been reading across this thread, since I know that status of things can change with new OS updates, kext updates, different config settings etc.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX-580
O you haven't updated your Mojave install?

I know that the iMac Pros use a different platform, but I've seen a few posts in this thread mention switching to iMac Pro1:1 for better performance with audio/video. I think one of the revisions of the original guide even mentions this, though I could be wrong. This is why I'm hoping to get some input from those that work with audio and not just video, about their experiences with either of these SMBIOS and performance. Furthermore, does leaving the IGPU enabled if using iMac19:1 perform better? Or would it be better to turn it off (will Logic crash just like FCPX)? Just a few questions based on what I've been reading across this thread, since I know that status of things can change with new OS updates, kext updates, different config settings etc.
The funny thing was I really wanted to update to the latest Mojave, but the "Software Update" gave me the only option is to upgrade to Catalina which is the last thing I wanna do.

I just read the info provide by CaseySJ on page 1. He only mentioned that smbios as iMac Pro1,1 may provide the best RENDERING speed. IMO it's a benefit for video editing user, but for music production? I'm not sure about that. At the moment, I am really satisfying with my current setup and OSX, I don't worry about how better the performance is as iMac Pro1,1. 1st, I'm not producing any cinematic or huge project with hundreds or thousands tracks. 2nd, I've been running several projects that contains less than 100 tracks, and I have not been through any crash so far. Lastly, why would I need to change the smbios if I don't have any system problem or crash?

You could give it a try to experiment with two difference smbios. Remember, always backup your system 1st.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Probook 450 G6-Clover
CPU
i7-8565U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
The funny thing was I really wanted to update to the latest Mojave, but the "Software Update" gave me the only option is to upgrade to Catalina which is the last thing I wanna do.

I just read the info provide by CaseySJ on page 1. He only mentioned that smbios as iMac Pro1,1 may provide the best RENDERING speed. IMO it's a benefit for video editing user, but for music production? I'm not sure about that. At the moment, I am really satisfying with my current setup and OSX, I don't worry about how better the performance is as iMac Pro1,1. 1st, I'm not producing any cinematic or huge project with hundreds or thousands tracks. 2nd, I've been running several projects that contains less than 100 tracks, and I have not been through any crash so far. Last, why would I need to change the smbios if I don't have any system problem or crash?

You could give it a try to experiment with the two difference smbios. Remember, always backup your system 1st.

Thanks for the info! Are you using Logic? Is your IGPU enabled?

Also, regarding the latest Mojave update, this may help:
It's a download link for the 10.14.6 supplemental update from 9/26/2019 :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
LC, Performa, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi.
My system works perfectly, but I have a problem: After waking from sleep, the menus of the finder and the dock go very slow and stumble.
If I force to sleep always when returning the same happens.
If I restart the user session everything is correct.
I think it didn't happen to me before.
Has anyone got the same?

very grateful to the forum and teacher Caseysj

tanks to all

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Stage 1: Boot a working copy of macOS like this:
  • Do you have a bootable backup?
    • If so, please boot from the backup disk.
  • If you do not have a working bootable backup:
    • Reinstall macOS from scratch on a new SSD.
    • You can use a cheap SATA SSD mounted inside a USB 3 enclosure.
    • Then boot the new installation of macOS.
Stage 2: Run Terminal and "cd" to the correct "usr/bin" folder like this:
  • After booting from a working copy of macOS, we are ready to try and remove ACL entries from your /usr/bin folder.
  • Open Terminal.
  • cd to the original (bad) macOS drive.
    • Example:
      • If the original macOS drive is called MacHD then type this:
      • cd /Volumes/macHD/usr/bin
Stage 3: Remove ACL entries:
  • Now that you are in the correct "usr/bin" directory, type this:
    • sudo chmod -N sudo
  • If there are no errors, type this:
    • sudo chmod -N *
Stage 4: Verify result:
  • Now let's make sure ACL entries are gone. Type:
    • ls -l
  • There should not be a "+" sign after the set of file permissions on the left.
  • Here's an example:
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 70288 Sep 29 13:28 AssetCacheLocatorUtil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 67360 Sep 29 13:28 AssetCacheManagerUtil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 57792 Sep 29 13:28 AssetCacheTetheratorUtil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 31488 Sep 29 13:28 BuildStrings
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 31456 Sep 29 13:28 CpMac
  • Note that there is no "+" after "-rwxr-xr-x".
Stage 1: Boot a working copy of macOS like this:
  • Do you have a bootable backup?
    • If so, please boot from the backup disk.
  • If you do not have a working bootable backup:
    • Reinstall macOS from scratch on a new SSD.
    • You can use a cheap SATA SSD mounted inside a USB 3 enclosure.
    • Then boot the new installation of macOS.
Stage 2: Run Terminal and "cd" to the correct "usr/bin" folder like this:
  • After booting from a working copy of macOS, we are ready to try and remove ACL entries from your /usr/bin folder.
  • Open Terminal.
  • cd to the original (bad) macOS drive.
    • Example:
      • If the original macOS drive is called MacHD then type this:
      • cd /Volumes/macHD/usr/bin
Stage 3: Remove ACL entries:
  • Now that you are in the correct "usr/bin" directory, type this:
    • sudo chmod -N sudo
  • If there are no errors, type this:
    • sudo chmod -N *
Stage 4: Verify result:
  • Now let's make sure ACL entries are gone. Type:
    • ls -l
  • There should not be a "+" sign after the set of file permissions on the left.
  • Here's an example:
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 70288 Sep 29 13:28 AssetCacheLocatorUtil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 67360 Sep 29 13:28 AssetCacheManagerUtil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 57792 Sep 29 13:28 AssetCacheTetheratorUtil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 31488 Sep 29 13:28 BuildStrings
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 31456 Sep 29 13:28 CpMac
  • Note that there is no "+" after "-rwxr-xr-x".
Thanks Casey, I'll try that as soon as I can, but it's a little complicated right now. I'll keep you informed