I7-3770K OC 4.5
Graphics
R9 280
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 3.35.05 pm.png

Before rebooting off NVMe I thought I'd send upload of System report with image above from "experimental" boot OS drive. States non removable. Don't know why it still show external icon?

To confirm ... this was off the backup "experimental" drive. You want me to load NVMe SSDT to main OS drive EFI folder then perform MaciASL and IOReg data info? [EDIT] took the plunge anyway ;)

[SOLVED] It seems the issue has been solved.
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 3.54.35 pm.png

Attached ioreg and acpi for reference and confirmation.

Thanks Casey ... in the end the result may be simply aesthetic but I'm hoping it will solve some issue.

Where I live we'd simply say "you're a legend". :D

Attached SSDT for reference in future links.

Attachments

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
View attachment 421748

Before rebooting off NvME I thought I'd send upload of System report with image above from "experimental" boot OS drive. States non removable. Don't know why it still show external icon?

To confirm ... this was off the backup "experimental" drive. You want me to load NvME SSDT to main OS drive EFI folder then perform MaciASL and IOReg data info? [EDIT] took the plunge anyway ;)

[SOLVED] It seems the issue has been solved.
View attachment 421752

Attached ioreg and acpi for reference and confirmation.

Thanks Casey ... in the end the result may be simply aesthetic but I'm hoping it will solve some issue.

Where I live we'd simply say "you're a legend". :D

Attached SSDT for reference in future links.
Looks good! But there is one somewhat cosmetic problem. The built-in type shows a value of NVMe SSD instead of 0x00. This is functionally okay because macOS only looks for the existence of the built-in property and doesn't care about its value, but by convention the value should be 0x00. The attached version fixes that. To install, please remove the old file and copy the new V2 in its place.

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
It is save to update to 10.14.6?
Yes it's safe to update, but as a general rule we should make a full bootable backup before performing the update.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UPH TH
CPU
I7-3770K OC 4.5
Graphics
R9 280
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Looks good! But there is one somewhat cosmetic problem. The built-in type shows a value of NVMe SSD instead of 0x00. This is functionally okay because macOS only looks for the existence of the built-in property and doesn't care about its value, but by convention the value should be 0x00. The attached version fixes that. To install, please remove the old file and copy the new V2 in its place.
Will do Casey.

Albeit again I think there may be a typo above. Both the built-in type value and by convention value you quoted is 0x00?

Notwithstanding, I will insert the below SSDT.

Again, thank you.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Will do Casey.

Albeit again I think there may be a typo above. Both the built-in type value and by convention value you quoted is 0x00?

Notwithstanding, I will insert the below SSDT.

Again, thank you.
To clarify:
  • Built-in property should have a value of 0x00 by convention.
  • Its current value is NVMe SSD.
  • So the new version changes NVMe SSD to 0x00.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Wifi-AC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@CaseySJ I'm sorry to bother you with this again. I don't think I'm going to be able to hold myself from buying this hackintosh much longer... so in the case I do it before @sidhellman or @JayShay replies would you mind help me clarify a few things regarding the 5k display and Alpine/Titan Ridge?

I'm going with the Gigabyte Designare as my main build because it has the TB3 built-in and a great support here on this thread with many people using it. Even If I don't have any TB3 device it's nice to get it in there for future proof.

However to me as a designer is important to get the 5k working at its full potential (and because it costs a good chunk of money).

AFAIK it will be basically the same if I go with the Alpine or the Titan add-on card in order to make the LG 5k work as its full potential. But should I go with the Titan for future proof? What I'm afraid of is that since I've got one Titan already built-in that this new Titan add-on card won't work (I only want it for the display, not to actually use TB3 there – and also because the Designare doesn't have the TB3 header)

Do you have any opinions on this? As always, I appreciate immensely your time and help.

EDIT: btw, I would like to also get everything working perfectly, just as @sidhellman reported but with an external card. Sleep, wake, power, peripherals, etc.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@bluepr0,

In this post, @Bobbert states that his SwitchResX screenshot (connected to the older LG UltraFine 5K) looks the same as that from a 2018 MacBook Air posted by @JayShay (also connected to LG UltraFine 5K). The MacBook Air images are as follows:

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 5.25.07 PM.png

2019-07-27_17-22-35.png

The Pixel Clock from the MacBook Air is 593.82 MHz.

Now this is where things get confusing:
  • If Pixel Clock from a real Mac connected to LG UltraFine 5K via TB3 is 593.82 (round up to 594) MHz and the Pixel Clock from this Hackintosh is also 594 MHzwhen connected to the same display, then are the two systems doing the same thing?
    • Namely, they are both scaling 5K to 2560x1440?
  • According to this post by @joevt, he also sees 594 MHz, but he's using a 4K monitor.
  • The Pixel Clock therefore seems to refer to the "looks like" resolution, which in all of these cases is 2560x1440.
    • The MacBook Air connected to LG 5K at "looks like" resolution of 2560 x 1440 uses 594 MHz pixel clock.
    • Joevt's Hackintosh connected to a 4K display at same "looks like" resolution of 2560 x1440 also uses 594 MHz.
So until we get someone to run the AGDCDiagnose command, it seems you have a good chance of being able to make use of the 5K.

Regarding the question of GC-Alpine Ridge versus GC-Titan Ridge, the choice should be GC-Alpine Ridge because someone in this thread specifically mentioned that GC-Titan Ridge will not work.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac Pro
Casey, I'd like to make a suggested add to the build instructions.
You've eluded to this recently and I've been following it for several years.

Start your build stripped down as much as possible to reduce potential conflicts/problems.
No PCI devices beyond a Mac compatible graphics card,
no extra hard drives or optical drives connected,
no USB hubs or devices beyond keyboard, mouse and installer USB (only plugged in to blue or orange ports),
absolute minimum memory installed (yes, one DIMM only)

If I have trouble with OS install, swap out the one DIMM for an alt and try again

I've had great success with initial builds starting this way.
Once I have base OS installed and settings tweaked as desired, I create a bootable backup and then install as much hardware as I want back into the system. If I have a problem, I know it's not the OS but was caused by something I recently added.

Another suggestion would be to take advantage of the BIOS - Save Profiles
I have my settings stored in Profile 1 and another (backup) copy stored in Profile 8
Using these stored profiles quickly got me back up and running more than once.