Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Designare
CPU
Graphics
Radeon VII
Per an earlier question you asked, warm-booting into macOS is not technically necessary on this board, but it can provide some benefits as you’ve noted. @Bobbert’s two-monitor solution avoids Windows. If you have a second monitor, I’m curious if cold-booting into macOS will also enable 5K and the monitor’s on-board devices (USB ports, camera, etc).

If you search for posts in this thread by @TheAsocial, you’ll find his experiences with the same monitor, but he didn’t seem to encounter any issues back then. Perhaps he didn’t test everything...
Casey,

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I have a triple monitor configuration with 1 LG UF 5k and 2 LG UF 4ks. I am now running the 5k in 4K resolution with the GB Alpine Ridge add in card in PCI slot 2. Also, I tested with a Titan Ridge add in card in bottom pcie slot and this card was seen as a second as second TB3 controller in windows but I just couldn’t get it to work in windows or Macos so I’m settling on 5k with no thunderbolt capabilities and the 2 4ks running of the Designare Intel IGPU. The 5k runs off the Radeon VII passthrough to the add in card. I can say the monitors connect instantaneously from sleep which my real 2018 Mac mini struggled with. I don’t think there is any hope getting the alpine ridge controller working with TB because it’s not even seen in windows and there isn’t a TB3 header on the Designare.

There is some talk about the Designer X299 which has 2 display port inputs that maybe can drive the 5k at 5k but would still need a TB3 add in card which I’ve never reliably been able to get both ports to work with DP passthrough in Hackintosh.

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Today, I updated the OpenCore EFI folders in this earlier post.

With the OpenCore Designare boot, I got the following results with a SMBIOS of iMacPro1,1 with a Radeon VII (iGPU disabled). The i9-9900K was clocked at 4.7GHz. The driver is AptioMemoryFix with the latest Lilu and WeG kexts.

iMacPro1,1-4.7GHz-OpenCore.jpg

iMacPro1,1-Radeon VII-OpenCore.jpg

iMacPro1,1-Radeon VII-OpenCore-LuxMark.jpg

iMacPro1,1-RadeonVII-i9-4.7GHz-OpenCore-Cinebench.jpg

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD7-TH
CPU
i7 4770K
Graphics
740GT
Mac
iMac
Hello @shallmc,

As you can see from my signature line below, I have only (a) Gigabyte Designare Z390 and (b) Asus X99 Deluxe II. Are you looking for a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT for your Z87X-UD7-TH motherboard?
Yes i'm trying to get hot plug on Z87X-UD7-TH working looong time already!

Motherboard
z390 designaze
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 56
The IOReg file you posted earlier shows that USB ports HS11 and HS12 are missing. Bluetooth connects to one of these ports, therefore Bluetooth will not work until we fix this problem. The USB SSDT looks correct so I think it's necessary to switch to iMac19,1. After installing the modified EFI folder that I provided, please run IORegistryExplorer once again and upload the file (File --> Save As...).

Please see this thread for the problem seen in screenshot:

Edit: Also try the slightly modified config.plist attached here.
Thank you @CaseySJ I did tried the modified config.plist

Attachment is my current IORegistryExplorer.

Today, I tried to listen music on youtube and the machine crash again, I realized that the music keep going, on the monitor shut and cpu fan went crazy. Do you have any clue how should I investigate this issue?

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes i'm trying to get hot plug on Z87X-UD7-TH working looong time already!
Okay, let me see if I can modify the hot plug SSDT for your motherboard. Please upload the following:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As... (upload the saved file)
  • MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT
    • Then select File --> Save As... and upload the file.
    • In the Save As... dialog, you may select either Disassembled ASL File or ACPI Machine Language Binary
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 2.25.55 AM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you @CaseySJ I did tried the modified config.plist

Attachment is my current IORegistryExplorer.

Today, I tried to listen music on youtube and the machine crash again, I realized that the music keep going, on the monitor shut and cpu fan went crazy. Do you have any clue how should I investigate this issue?
Your IOReg still says iMac19,2. Please check that you copied the EFI folder to EFI Partition of Mojave SSD. We have to mount this partition manually with Clover Configurator --> Mount EFI (on left side options). We need to change this to iMac19,1.

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 2.29.33 AM.png

Motherboard
z390 designaze
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 56
Your IOReg still says iMac19,2. Please check that you copied the EFI folder to EFI Partition of Mojave SSD. We have to mount this partition manually with Clover Configurator --> Mount EFI (on left side options). We need to change this to iMac19,1.

View attachment 419142
Let's me have a check again, my system is suffering with boot right now. It's keep crashing, monitor goes black, the machine became very hot, and cpu fan goes crazy. In worst case, I will re-install the whole system.

I am pretty sure that I put the config.plist into the right place.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Let's me have a check again, my system is suffering with boot right now. It's keep crashing, monitor goes black, the machine became very hot, and cpu fan goes crazy. In worst case, I will re-install the whole system.

I am pretty sure that I put the config.plist into the right place.
This is very strange behavior. Some background questions:
  • What is the make and model of the GPU?
  • What is the make and model of the CPU cooler? Is it an air cooler or liquid all-in-one?
  • Did you apply a small amount of thermal paste (about the size of one green pea) on the CPU before attaching the CPU cooler?
  • Which thermal paste did you use?
  • Did you connect CPU cooler fan cable to "CPU FAN" header on motherboard?
  • Did you connect 8-pin power cable to top of motherboard (ATX 12V 4X2)?
  • What is the make and model of your power supply?

Motherboard
z390 designaze
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 56
This is very strange behavior. Some background questions:
  • What is the make and model of the GPU?
  • What is the make and model of the CPU cooler? Is it an air cooler or liquid all-in-one?
  • Did you apply a small amount of thermal paste (about the size of one green pea) on the CPU before attaching the CPU cooler?
  • Which thermal paste did you use?
  • Did you connect CPU cooler fan cable to "CPU FAN" header on motherboard?
  • Did you connect 8-pin power cable to top of motherboard (ATX 12V 4X2)?
  • What is the make and model of your power supply?
Below is detail of my build:
- GPU: Gigabyte Gaming RX Vega 8GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079LT39Z7/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
- CPU: Intel i7-8700
- I am using the defeaut thermal paste of Cooler master/ Intel (couldnt recall 100% of which one)
- CPU header is connected correctly I believe (attachment)
- 8-pin ATX 12V 4x2 is also connected (attachment)
- CPU Fan: Cooler master T400i https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-blizzard-t400i-rr-t4v2-16pb-c3/p/13C-000X-002N9
- Power supply - https://www.coolermaster.com/tw/zh-tw/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-750-bronze-v2/

Attachments