CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Looking into my 2nd hackintosh, I happened to stumble upon this thread, and I'm so excited I did!

Current and first ever hackintosh sports an Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, i5-8400 6-core CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB, 8GB Radeon RX 580 GPU, a Fenvi FV-T919 (BCM 94360), some random SATA SSDs, and 2 Behringer USB2.0 UMC audio interfaces (404hd and 204?hd).

Works ok-ish, so far, with Logic Pro X and various piano VST's (ivory american grand 2, garritan cfx, etc) but quite annoyed by the frequent slow booting (can take up to 1 minute before my mobo bios beeps, unstable sleep, as well as the occasional audio pop. Created my own usb ssdt too, solved some issues but not all.

So to try and get everything working smooth I've been aiming for some spec'd-out hackintosh and good/better audio interfaces.

Really looking forward to my 2nd hackintosh build, which has by now arrived at my folks' place and I'll be assembling/installing it over the next few days:
Gigabyte Designare z390; i9700K; 16GB of additional DDR4 REAM (making a 32GB total), Fractal Design R6 USB-C case, Presonus quantum Thunderbolt 2 audio interface, applicable genuine Apple TB3->TB2 adapter + TB2 cable, as well as (my current) Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w, Fenvi FV-T919, and RX 580.

@CaseySJ Even though I haven't even gotten started yet, just want to express my love for this guide/topic and your build, and I'm just super excited to get everything working flawlessly. I sure realize hackintoshes aren't ever "flawless", but I have some confidence in my Google-skills, and even more confidence in this topic's vividity. So I'm sure this build will turn out amazingly :)

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pianistslogic,

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the build process and do let us know how it goes. I generally recommend a 750W power supply with a discrete GPU and the built-in Thunderbolt circuit that can deliver up to 100W of power to connected devices, but your 650W supply should be okay to start with.

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello, I am an apprentice of these forums and thanks to you I am in this world. Thanks to CaseySJ for your help.
My english is a google translator, sorry
My results are these

Attachments

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I would like to optimize the equipment better
I send you my config.plist and the first result of Heaven
the second result of Heaven under a lot.

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello, I am an apprentice of these forums and thanks to you I am in this world. Thanks to CaseySJ for your help.
My english is a google translator, sorry
My results are these
Welcome to the forum and nice to see another successful build today! Those are very good benchmarks. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello, I have seen that corint1 has achieved some great results.
You could help me to get them.
Regards

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
That less after everything I've learned with you.
As a good student, you have to teach the results. I hope that some of them will help you.
Greetings.
CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pianistslogic,

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the build process and do let us know how it goes. I generally recommend a 750W power supply with a discrete GPU and the built-in Thunderbolt circuit that can deliver up to 100W of power to connected devices, but your 650W supply should be okay to start with.
Will do! Thanks so much for your guide and continued support in this topic. Any idea on how I'd notice the need for a 750w psu? Thus far, I've been using the gpu mostly for w10 gaming on a spare sata ssd, and macos solely for logic pro x/day-to-day usage (i.e., email, documents through a w10 parallels machine, etc).

Just one more question, prior to getting started on all this: do you know of any (darkwake?) setting that doesn't wake the hackintosh from sleep after every key-touch/mouse-movement? Moving my wireless (logitech) keyboards/mice around whilst vacuuming made my a-sleep hackontish wake up. But I'd prefer a hard-power-button push (or perhaps two quick key presses?) to be the only way of waking up?

Also, my external midi keyboard has a powersaving auto-off function, meaning that after, let's say, 4 hours of inactivity, it shuts itself off, but my current build recognises this as a usb interaction, hence it wakes from sleep as soon as the keyboard turns itself off. If you have any advice, I'd love to hear.

Anyway, so very eager to get started on all this! Thanks again and I'll keep you informed.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Samsung Evo 970 Plus seems to be working good after firmware update.
I have cloned the other SSD and it works good for now.

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 2.09.00 AM.pngDiskSpeedTest.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-23 at 2.14.10 AM.png

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac mini
View attachment 407805

The game’s afoot!

MacOS 10.15.0 (Tahoe?)

MacPro 2019?
6K Thunderbolt Display?
HA! I'm hopeful for a new Mac Pro announcement and expecting disappointment regardless. The original point of building this system was to hold me over for a couple years until whatever this new Mac Pro ends up being starts showing up decently priced on the used market. However, after working on this system for a bit now, helping a couple other friends build up this same machine, and watching the price for their builds continue to fall (around $1600 with a 9900k and RX 580 at one point), I don't know what you could possibly stand to gain with a new Mac Pro besides easy software updates... I'll be watching the keynote nonetheless