Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
After lots of trial and error, I successfully installed Ubuntu on a separate HD, and now am able to boot Mojave, Windows 10, and Ubuntu from the Clover boot screen. I know very little about Linux, and the only prior experience I had was with a Ubuntu Live CD. So I went with Ubuntu rather than another flavor of Linux. If I don't get some of the Linux lingo right, my apologies.

First, I learned that the most recent long-term support release of Ubuntu, (which I had planned to install), 18.04, doesn't include drivers for RX 590 (and perhaps not RX 580 either), or HD630. while there may be a distribution of same out there somewhere with "safe graphics mode" as a boot option, I couldn't find it, so I went with the most recent release, 19.04.

I didn't want to remove my M.2 Mojave drive since I would have had to remove the CPU cooler which I didn't want to do. Removing the M.2 would make Ubuntu post-install easier but that would spoil the fun!

Note: you will need to know the "UNIX name" of your Ubuntu target drive. There is probably a way to determine that from macOS but I have no idea how to do so. A good assumption is that if you only have your M.2 and your Ubuntu target, it will be SDA. If you already have a Windows HD installed, then your Ubuntu drive may be sdb, depending on which SATA ports your Windows and Ubuntu drives are attached to. If both your Mojave drive and Windows drive are in M.2 slots, then your Ubuntu HD will be SDA.
To be absolutely sure, it is best to choose the "try Ubuntu safe graphics" (rather than "Install Ubuntu safe graphics") mode from the installer, and then run a terminal session and run the command
Code:
sudo fdisk -l (lower case L)
which will list all your drives in Linux lingo.

Most important: make sure you have a working USB boot drive. Test yours to make sure you can boot from it to the Clover screen.

So:
1) download and create install media for Ubuntu 19.04
2) install drive on which Ubuntu will be installed
3) boot from the Ubuntu install media. choose Install with safe graphics.
4) at the "Installation Type" screen, I chose "something else"
5) choose the drive that you want to install to and choose the partition that you want the boot loader installed to (your Ubuntu drive).
6) assuming you have wired Ethernet connectivity (I say wired since I have no idea if the Ubuntu installer contains drivers for your WiFi card), Ubuntu will download updated drivers during installation that will enable the RX590 card after reboot.
7) restart. It will boot into Ubuntu, but don't panic (yet!).

Despite the fact that you instructed the installer to put the boot loader on your Ubuntu drive, it also puts a Ubuntu folder/boot loader on your Mojave drive, which is why you computer will boot straight to Ubuntu at step 7. This is fine because I would advise a belt-and-suspender approach and from Ubuntu install the boot loader on your Ubuntu drive.

Once again from terminal run the fdisk command to verify the name of your Ubuntu drive.

Then type "sudo grub-install /dev/sdX" where X=the letter of your Ubuntu drive. if it complains re-run with --force added to the command (sudo grub-install /dev/sdX --force)

Plug in your USB boot drive and boot from it. Select your Mojave drive, and, when at the desktop, mount the EFI partition.

In /EFI remove the Ubuntu folder. But removing this folder doesn't completely remove the work the Ubuntu installer did to install grub on your Mojave drive.

Download and run Clover installer, just selecting the first two entries, for UEFI booting. That is needed to not have Ubuntu try to boot Ubuntu from your Mojave drive.

Remove your USB drive and reboot. If successful, you will see the Clover screen which now has an icon for Linux.

good luck!

ken
Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify this problem.
Have you experienced in your multi boot system the behavior described in this post?

Motherboard
GA-Z390-AORUS Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
PowerColor RX590 Red Devil
Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify this problem.
Have you experienced in your multi boot system the behavior described in this post?
Yes.

As I explained in my post about installing Ubuntu after having installed Mojave, the Ubuntu installer does the same thing that the post you referenced says that Windows does--it installs boot information onto the first drive in the tree which in my case is OS X Mojave.

I described how to eliminate the Ubuntu boot stuff from the OS X drive so you can boot directly to the Clover screen and choose your desired startup drive.

if you install Windows after having installed Mojave, the Windows installer creates a folder called Microsoft in the EFI folder on the OS X drive. Fixing that issue is much easier than the process for fixing the Ubuntu boot issue.

After you install Windows, it will reboot straight to Windows. you need to reboot with your USB boot drive installed, booting from the USB drive. Rrom the Clover screen, boot your Mojave drive. Once at the Desktop, mount your EFI partition. Open the EFI folder and you will see /Microsoft along with /Clover and /Boot. Open /Microsoft/Boot and you will see a file called bootmgfw.efi. Rename it to bootmgfw-orig.efi, so the Windows startup manager can't find it. When you reboot, you'll be back to "normal" with the boot going straight to your Clover screen.

If Windows does a "major" update, it may create a new bootmgfw.efi file. if you start up your computer some day and it boots to Windows, repeat the process described above.

Note: after installing Windows and fixing the boot issue, you may see several Windows icons on your clover boot screen. Choose the one that says something like "boot windows from Microsoft EFI". There are guides that tell you how to remove unwanted boot icons from the Clover screen.

ken

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I did update a little, so far everything normal. changed my configuration in about .. now says it is an i7 ..
Update: I had a freeze and noticed that on the home screen these lines appear .. see the screen
Some questions about the freeze:
  • Did it happen when using a particular app on the Mac? For example, did it freeze while using Photoshop?
  • Does the system always freeze when using the same app?
  • And when you rebooted after the freeze, then you saw the little horizontal lines during boot?
  • Did the reboot work, or did the system freeze during reboot?
To diagnose the problem, please:
  • Compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of Mojave SSD. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
  • Also upload a screenshot of /Library/Extensions folder on Mojave SSD.
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File —> Save As... to save the IOReg data. Upload the file.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 570
How about update today 10.14.5 ?

without problem?

i have a same SYSTEMs.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
*** macOS 10.14.5 Update ***

Just completed the 10.14.5 update, but this update was somewhat scary compared to previous updates. Here's what you should do and what you should expect:
  • Make a complete bootable backup of your system. Use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Backup the EFI folder as well.
    • Your bootable backup will not be bootable until the EFI folder is copied from the Mojave EFI partition to the EFI partition of the clone drive.
  • Ensure that your USB SSDT is installed and your USB port limit patches in config.plist are Disabled.
    • The Mojave 10.14.4 USB port limit patch is not compatible with 10.14.5.
  • Begin the update from System Preferences --> Software Update.
  • Here's what you can expect during the update itself:
    • After the 2.5GB download, the system will logout and begin installation.
    • A progress bar will appear. A few seconds later the system will spontaneously reboot.
    • At the Clover Boot Menu, "Boot Install macOS from Mojave" will be auto-selected. In the rare event that it is not, use arrow keys to select it yourself.
    • The standard startup process will begin -- an Apple Icon in the center with a progress bar below.
    • Midway through, you might see small purple horizontal lines (@Abdala's screenshot) randomly drawn at the top of the screen. DON'T PANIC and don't interrupt the system. Just wait...
    • About 30 seconds later the screen will go blank. Again, DON'T PANIC. Just wait.
    • The startup process will resume and the macOS Updater will begin. You might see "45 minutes remaining" or something similar.
    • But a few seconds later (maybe 10 seconds) the system will spontaneously reboot! This is normal.
    • At the Clover Boot Menu, "Boot Install macOS from Mojave" will again be auto-selected. In the rare event that it is not, use arrow keys to select it yourself.
    • Now you'll see the Apple Icon in the center once again, and a progress bar below.
    • Midway through, those random horizontal purple lines will reappear. Just wait.
    • About 30 seconds later the screen will go blank again. Just wait.
    • Now the macOS installer will appear and you'll see "45 minutes remaining" or something similar. This should take much less than 45 minutes. The installer will complete the installation now.
    • At the end, the system will gracefully reboot with a 10 second countdown. Let it be.
    • At the Clover Boot Menu, the standard option will now be selected: Boot macOS from Mojave. Don't change it.
    • During this final startup phase you might see those horizontal purple lines again for a second. Don't worry. The system will rebuild kernel caches (which means startup can be a few seconds longer than normal) and then the login screen should appear.
  • Congratulations. You're now on 10.14.5

Notice below that 10.14.5 properly recognizes the i9-9700K processor!!

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.26.38 PM.png
EDIT 1: If you have a Core i9-9900K, your processor will be incorrectly reported as a Core i7. To fix this problem, set CPU Type to 0x1005 in Clover Configurator. Thanks to @DexterOX and @3Dman for the tip.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 2.39.42 PM.png

EDIT 2: The statement in red has been added to build guide.
Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.46.40 PM.png

Last edited: