RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi CaseySJ
i actually had a weird issue today. I started to install different software and preparing this new PC for being my main one and i had to restart the computer in order to finish a software installation.
When the computer restarted, i was presented a different Clover (Grey background, small icons). but still with the same option, start from Mojave drive, start from preebot, etc.. i don't remember exactly which option but anyway i choosed "Start from Mojave" but i got a crossed white circle. Every other option available produced the same result.
So i restarted from the USB stick i used for the installation and was presented an other Clover page (similar to the one i saw when doing the installation), chose "Start from Mojave" and then it worked.

So it look like i did something wrong. I tried to Inject Audio 16 by copying the XML above the <key>USB</key> but i messed up i guess. i then re-opened my config.plist to delete it, and now it boot correctly.
Lesson learned, i have to be very careful when editing such things... so if you can maybe give me a screenshot about how this Audio 16 xml should look like?
When we run the standalone Clover installer, it applies the "embedded" theme instead of the "tonymacx86" theme. The "embedded" theme has the gray background and small icons. We can always change the theme in Clover Configurator --> GUI by specifying the name of the preferred theme.

Yes we have to be very careful about modifying config.plist directly. After any manual edit, it's a good idea to open the file in Clover Configurator. If there are any errors, Clover Configurator will inform you right away. If you like you may post your config.plist (remove serial numbers from SMBIOS) and I can edit it for you.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please try the attached config.plist. You'll need to boot from USB install disk, then proceed as follows:
  • Mount EFI partition of Mojave SSD and copy attached config.plist into CLOVER folder.
  • Connect your display monitor to RX580 GPU, remove USB disk, and reboot directly from Mojave SSD. Does it work
  • If it fails, connect display monitor to HDMI port on motherboard and reboot directly from Mojave SSD. Does it work?
This version of config.plist has these changes:
  • Inject Intel unchecked.
  • Inject ATI check on.
  • WhateverGreen enabled from Devices --> Properties with platform ID 0x3E9B0007. On-board video ports are enabled.
  • "Trust" flag checked on in SMBIOS.
Please ensure that all third-party kexts have also been copied into /Library/Extensions, and Kext Utility has been run to rebuild kernel caches.
thanks casey for config.plist ... after moving and using it i cant boot with hdmi cable connected to 580 but i can boot into mojave with onboard hdmi port

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
thanks casey for config.plist ... after moving and using it i cant boot with hdmi cable connected to 580 but i can boot into mojave with onboard hdmi port
Some follow-up suggestions:
  • After booting up with on-board HDMI, what happens if you then unplug and move the HDMI cable to RX 580? Does it display a signal?
  • Do you have DisplayPort input on your monitor, and a DisplayPort cable?
  • What is the make/model of the monitor? Is it a TV or a computer monitor?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi CaseySJ,

I followed your instructions, and confirmed the that the BIOS is F5. Please see screenshots attached. The main options available from Clover for me were

-Boot FireVault Prebooter from Preboot
-Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
-Boot macOS Install from Mojave (Default choice if I don't take any action)

-Boot macOS from Mojave (my choice to boot system)
-Recovery

I usually have some external hard drives connected, but never the USB install disk. I did follow your instructions for having all external devices disconnected, and also doing the CMOS clearing.

Please let me know what you think!

As a side note, I just installed the WTXUP Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac 1750Mbps Desktop PCi-E WiFi Adapter, and the WiFi/Bluetooth & Airdrop are all working properly without any adjustment from my side! Seems like a good choice if anyone is in the market for one of these things.
Hello shl615,

The two middle options highlighted in green are created by the macOS updater. For example, when we update from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4 directly from System Preferences --> Software Update, macOS creates these two partitions. Once the update is finished, it should delete them. Their continued presence on your system indicates perhaps an aborted or incomplete update attempt?

So what should you do?

Because macOS 10.14.5 is expected "soon" I would not worry about this issue. When you update from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5, these extra partitions should be deleted automatically.

Motherboard
ASUS Z390-F
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
UHD 630 + Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
There are two not-necessarily-true assumptions underlying your question:
  • Use of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 is not necessarily a future bottleneck. AptioMemoryFix simply doesn’t work on this motherboard once PCIe cards are installed, which speaks volumes about the robustness of that driver. Despite the shortcomings of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, it is the only memory fix driver that works on this motherboard at the moment. We’ll test future versions of AptioMemoryFix (and others) and switch to the best available driver at the appropriate time.
  • Having multiple SSDTs is also immaterial to future bottlenecking. There is one SSDT for Thunderbolt hot-plug, one generic SSDT-DTPG to copy Apple’s own implementation, a USB SSDT, an RX 580 informational SSDT, and a SSDT to disable the incompatible built-in Intel CNVi WiFi/BT card. None presents an impediment to the system’s longevity.
But nothing has infinite longevity. The real question is whether this system can remain current for a number of years. Apple can always make it harder to install future updates of MacOS, but barring software lockdowns, the hardware is ready for the long haul.
Wasn’t meant to be assumptions :D as you’ve probably guessed, I only understand the very basics of what’s happening behind these files ;) I was just curious whether it could be a problem in the near future. Thanks for your answer, will probably order the board later today and return my ASUS Z390-F if everything wents well!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
By the way, while it indeed works, your ACPI patch for disabling the dGPU needs to be deleted everytime I would like to boot High Sierra (which happily uses GTX 1080), and reinstalled everytime I would like to boot Mojave. Is it possible to simply hot patch this in a config.plist? In my case, this would enable me to simply boot High Sierra with config.plist and boot Mojave with config_IGPU.plist.
Not sure about this.
Here's a simple idea -- not a perfect solution, but better than current:
  • Do you have Clover (EFI partition) on both the Mojave SSD and High Sierra SSD?
  • In this case, you may copy the GPU disabling SSDT to the Mojave EFI partition, but not to the High Sierra EFI.
  • To switch between Mojave and High Sierra, press F12 at BIOS Splash screen and choose one or the other.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello shl615,

The two middle options highlighted in green are created by the macOS updater. For example, when we update from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4 directly from System Preferences --> Software Update, macOS creates these two partitions. Once the update is finished, it should delete them. Their continued presence on your system indicates perhaps an aborted or incomplete update attempt?

So what should you do?

Because macOS 10.14.5 is expected "soon" I would not worry about this issue. When you update from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5, these extra partitions should be deleted automatically.
Genius!!!!!

I ignored the update for 10.14.4 because I was afraid it might cause some hiccups, and I read somewhere that something wasn't working properly with 10.14.4 yet. Did you update too 10.14.4? Did you have to adjust anything afterwards?

Thank you!!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Some follow-up suggestions:
  • After booting up with on-board HDMI, what happens if you then unplug and move the HDMI cable to RX 580? Does it display a signal?
  • Do you have DisplayPort input on your monitor, and a DisplayPort cable?
  • What is the make/model of the monitor? Is it a TV or a computer monitor?
i have flatron e2770 and that LG 4k 60hz TV

if i unlug from onboard to 580 after booting then there is no signal on all hdmi ports on 580

i have no display ports inputs on TV and Monitor

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Genius!!!!!

I ignored the update for 10.14.4 because I was afraid it might cause some hiccups, and I read somewhere that something wasn't working properly with 10.14.4 yet. Did you update too 10.14.4? Did you have to adjust anything afterwards?

Thank you!!
The update to 10.14.4 was the smoothest yet. Some of the install and startup sequences take a little extra time, so we just need to be patient. For example, the progress bar during startup may "stick" at some point for an extra 30 seconds or so. Don't panic!

Always make a full system backup before a software update!

Last edited: