[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX580 Pulse
Good question. Some comments:
  • If you're not facing any Sleep/Wake problems with the existing USB SSDT for Fractal Design, then it's best to stay with the current configuration.
  • HS11 and HS12 are mapped to the two USB 2.0 front panel ports (labeled F2 and F3) on the Fractal Design Define R6. As such, the connector types are set to 0x00, thereby supporting removable / hot-pluggable USB devices.
  • However, if you are using HS11 and HS12 for Bluetooth, CPU cooler, or other USB device that will not be removed during operation, then it may be better to change connector type from 0x00 to 0xFF.
    • It's easy to make the change.
    • Download and run MaciASL.
    • Replace 0x00 with 0xFF as shown.
View attachment 399403
Turns out sleep/wake isn't working correctly on my system after all :\. I've been testing putting it to sleep from the apple menu. System tries to turn off but then turns back on again right away.

I switched to @ripe_md's updated fractal SSDT and also did the "Fixing Auto Sleep" portion in the guide and it didn't work. Also unplugged my external sound card just in case that was causing the issue, and still didn't work.

Any insight on troubleshooting this is much appreciated. If this is intended behaviour, then my mistake!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@CaseySJ , I just printed out all your documentation (77 pages, lol). I'm still waiting for my case to come in, but I'm prepping now. I was curious, in regards to the SMBios...I have seen all kinds of choices, being that I have a i9-9900k, 32GB RAM, and using the RX580. What exactly should my choice be?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@CaseySJ , I just printed out all your documentation (77 pages, lol). I'm still waiting for my case to come in, but I'm prepping now. I was curious, in regards to the SMBios...I have seen all kinds of choices, being that I have a i9-9900K, 32GB RAM, and using the RX580. What exactly should my choice be?
Do you have an iPad? It could have saved you 77 sheets of paper! :)

There’s a table in Going the Extra Mile that provides the recommended values. If you have any questions, please ask...

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Turns out sleep/wake isn't working correctly on my system after all :\. I've been testing putting it to sleep from the apple menu. System tries to turn off but then turns back on again right away.

I switched to @ripe_md's updated fractal SSDT and also did the "Fixing Auto Sleep" portion in the guide and it didn't work. Also unplugged my external sound card just in case that was causing the issue, and still didn't work.

Any insight on troubleshooting this is much appreciated. If this is intended behaviour, then my mistake!
That SSDT sets the ports to USB 2 (for removable devices). You may need to set the connector type to 0xFF as mentioned in my previous reply. Please give that a try and if you need help just ask.

Motherboard
Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX580 Pulse
That SSDT sets the ports to USB 2 (for removable devices). You may need to set the connector type to 0xFF as mentioned in my previous reply. Please give that a try and if you need help just ask.
Made the change to 0xFF with the old SSDT and sleep is still broken, which leads me to believe that the old SSDT was broken as well (just didn't notice). The new SSDT by ripe_md doesn't have an HS12 entry.

So far I've tried the old and new SSDT, adding emuvariable back in, and removing darkwake. Still have the same sleep issue.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
The new SSDT by ripe_md doesn't have an HS12 entry.
For sure the DSL file includes HS12. As described in my posting you should use the DSL file to make the required modifications.

Motherboard
Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX580 Pulse
For sure the DSL file includes HS12. As described in my posting you should use the DSL file to make the required modifications.
Ah okay, understood. Will check out the DSL file.

Motherboard
Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX580 Pulse
Thanks for the help so far @ripe_md, @CaseySJ. Using the DSL file, I tried both 0x00 and 0xFF configurations mapped to HS11/HS12. The front panel USB 2.0 ports work with both, as does bluetooth (plugged into the same header). However, nothing I do fixes my sleep issue. Thankfully restart, shutdown, and screen sleep (screen goes black) does work and has from the start.

I can live with it, not the end of the world. Really curious to get it working though, wonder what the issue is.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the help so far @ripe_md, @CaseySJ. using the DSL file, I've got HS11/HS12 mapped with 0xFF and 0x00 configurations. The front panel USB 2.0 ports work with both, as does bluetooth (plugged into the same header). However, nothing I do fixes my sleep issue. Thankfully restart, shutdown, and screen sleep (screen goes black) does work and has from the start.

I can live with it, not the end of the world. Really curious to get it working though, wonder what the issue is.
Have you gone through the process of elimination as follows:
  1. Remove all connected external USB devices except keyboard and mouse.
  2. Put system to sleep from Apple menu. Does it work?
  3. If step 2 works, connect one USB device back at a time and test sleep.
  4. If step 2 fails, type this in Terminal and post the output: pmset -g assertions
  5. Does Messages work? And FaceTime too?