Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
To install the beta 7 of Monterey I did like this:

1) Boot on EFI from a USB key: OC 0.7.3—> with original SMBIOS (for me iMacPro1,1) I only changed SecureBootModel from disabled to j160 -> reboot -> appearance of the update up to date (without iCloud and Cie pb)

2) Download of the update (during the download -> on the EFI of the key change for an SMBIOS 17.1 and return to SecureBootModel: disabled) (like that no iCloud et Cie pb)

3) 1st reboot

4) 2nd reboot on temporary Macintosh HD

5) macintosh tempo disappeared, automatic reboot on disk to update

6) before the new (and last) reboot of the update (the one where it ends up appearing that there are still 10 'left): opening bios and selection of the efi containing the OC with SMBIOS that I like (for my part iMacPro1,1), so no pb iCloud et Cie with the ß7.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Something like this happens very occasionally to many of us. But if this occurs repeatedly then it could be a cause for alarm.
It had me chasing some driver incompatibility in 11.6 first. Lots of these, BTW.
When I had this disappearing TB problem, PCI devices in About This Mac looked weird too.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Something like this happens very occasionally to many of us. But if this occurs repeatedly then it could be a cause for alarm.
I had something similar two weeks ago: after sleep, my Samsung SSD (connected to red USB 3.1 gen2) and my Presonus Quantum 2626 AI weren’t responding! A complete shutdown and a reboot cured this. Some gremlins I guess…

Rag

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good morning everyone, thanks @CaseySJ for your contribution to the hackintosh community.

I've always been a user that in the first beta version of new OS, I wanted to install to see new features and changes.

But this time, I ended up not doing it, only now, after months I decided to install the latest Beta 7. Honestly, I was very frustrated, I found practically nothing that would motivate me to stay with a beta version, or even be anxious for a new version of the OS.

I see Apple kind of lost in space. But anyway it may just be my impression.
Although I don't like Windows that I used until 2005, today I have Windows 10 running on another HD on the same machine.

I'm more excited to see the new version Windows 11, promised for the next day 05/10.

Are we facing a deep system change that could bring many MAC users back to Windows?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm more excited to see the new version Windows 11, promised for the next day 05/10.

Are we facing a deep system change that could bring many MAC users back to Windows?
I think that Win11 is nothing more than GUI changes to make Windows look more modern and an effort to sell new PCs. That's why they've set the hardware requirements so high. They expect everyone to have an 8th gen or better CPU and TPM 2.0 support. In the real world though, any 8-10 year old PC with enough ram and an i3 or better could run Windows 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rag
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Please check if BIOS --> Boot --> CFG-Lock is disabled. With this particular OpenCore configuration, macOS will not boot if CFG-Lock is enabled.
Thanks for your precious help Casey !

I updated my bios to official version F9i then F9i modified by Elias64Fr with MicroCode 0xEA and I disabled CFG-Lock.

Now, when I boot from my USB drive, I can choose Catalina drive and a loading bar appears on bottom of the white apple logo, but it stays stucks at the beginning and it doesn't move (I waited for 5 minutes…).

Rag

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think that Win11 is nothing more than GUI changes to make Windows look more modern and an effort to sell new PCs. That's why they've set the hardware requirements so high. They expect everyone to have an 8th gen or better CPU and TPM 2.0 support. In the real world though, any 8-10 year old PC with enough ram and an i3 or better could run Windows 11.
I agree with you, Apple suffers from the same problem, we changed in 2007 to Mac Intel, how many years did the previous one last? around 20 years old? now 15 years old we are forced to change again, to M1. I see my devices like Iphone that after 2 years... are already getting slow etc... Apple also condemns many computers older than 6 years, and for sure these computers could work very well. There is the programming industry to kill hardware over 5 years old... that's a fact. Even our televisions are like that. In the case of Windows 11 I ended up, after writing this post, installing version 11, the appearance and agility improved a lot compared to Windows 10. But as I built DOS machines since 1990, I still see the insides and residues of windows 3.0 still inside Windows 11, they change something, but the device manager is there... old and old, the disk manager ditto... it seems I came back in 1990... lol

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It had me chasing some driver incompatibility in 11.6 first. Lots of these, BTW.
When I had this disappearing TB problem, PCI devices in About This Mac looked weird too.

I had something similar two weeks ago: after sleep, my Samsung SSD (connected to red USB 3.1 gen2) and my Presonus Quantum 2626 AI weren’t responding! A complete shutdown and a reboot cured this. Some gremlins I guess…
It might be good to keep a written record of each time this happens...

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for your precious help Casey !

I updated my bios to official version F9i then F9i modified by Elias64Fr with MicroCode 0xEA and I disabled CFG-Lock.

Now, when I boot from my USB drive, I can choose Catalina drive and a loading bar appears on bottom of the white apple logo, but it stays stucks at the beginning and it doesn't move (I waited for 5 minutes…).
Let's try this:
  • At the OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-V to toggle Verbose mode.
  • Then select the Catalina drive.
  • You'll see a lot of log message scroll by. When the boot freezes, take a photo and post. But remove any GPS/location information from the photo before posting.
Another option:
  • Compress and post your EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo section of config.plist before compressing.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good morning everyone, thanks @CaseySJ for your contribution to the hackintosh community.

I've always been a user that in the first beta version of new OS, I wanted to install to see new features and changes.

But this time, I ended up not doing it, only now, after months I decided to install the latest Beta 7. Honestly, I was very frustrated, I found practically nothing that would motivate me to stay with a beta version, or even be anxious for a new version of the OS.

I see Apple kind of lost in space. But anyway it may just be my impression.
Although I don't like Windows that I used until 2005, today I have Windows 10 running on another HD on the same machine.

Windows 11 is a much needed overhaul of the user interface. The kernel will support Intel Alder Lake's big-little CPU core architecture. I chose to ignore Z590/Rocket Lake and wait for Z690/Alder Lake because it represents the first real advance in Intel's consumer lineup since...forever (so it seems). The few leaked documents we have of Z690 are mouth watering. And the first leaked benchmarks we have of Alder Lake are equally exciting.

So Windows 11 on Alder Lake should be quite a combination.

But my heart still prefers the macOS environment by a mile.