Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
In addition to TB -> Gigabyte Ethernet I have theses adapters I can give a try If you need
IMG_0244.jpeg

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Yes Sirs!

It used to work on Catalina but not Big Sur!

my TB's current firmware is your modified firmware NVM33
View attachment 522594
OK ! As I see on your ThunderboltDROM ...0x2C7... you don't have ThunderboltPort7 enabled :
With new BIOS, we don't have a ThunderboltDROM patched to enable TBTPort7. ThunderboltNhi driver uses found DROM and only update UID.

With light ThunderboltDROM, this driver remake all data of DROM with Apple Inc. name and enable Port7.
This light DROM look like :

Capture d’écran 2021-06-23 à 14.18.22.png

You can ask @CaseySJ to send it to you.

@CaseySJ, we could make a package with this new NVM33 firmware :)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK ! As I see on your ThunderboltDROM ...0x2C7... you don't have ThunderboltPort7 enabled :
With new BIOS, we don't have a ThunderboltDROM patched to enable TBTPort7. ThunderboltNhi driver uses found DROM and only update UID.

With light ThunderboltDROM, this driver remake all data of DROM with Apple Inc. name and enable Port7.
This light DROM look like :

View attachment 522596

You can ask @CaseySJ to send it to you.

@CaseySJ, we could make a package with this new NVM33 firmware :)
@Inqnuam,

When we delete ThunderboltDROM from our SSDT, macOS then picks it up from the Titan Ridge firmware. That firmware does not have TB Port 7 enabled. But if we replace the firmware's DROM section with an "empty" DROM, then Apple's PEI/DXE Thunderbolt drivers will generate a fully functional DROM automatically.

So we just need to flash the attached modified NVM33. This one contains the so-called "empty" or "light" DROM.

Attachments

• DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr-Apple-DROM.bin.zip
    268.6 KB · Views: 16

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ

With BIOS modified firmware, I have tried booting to Windows, from cold boot and thunderbolt eGPU plugged before :
  • During post boot (prior OpenCore picker), eGPU discrete card (RX580) fans have increased speed ... good sign !
  • Few time after Windows desktop appearing, eGPU fans has shortly speedly spinned and then stopped
  • eGPU is connected and ready to go :)
Bad news are :
  • when I have both thunderbolt Ethernet and eGPU devices connected (Port 1 and 2) before boot, due to a lack of memory ressources : both can't connect under Windows (only one device at same time works)
  • Hot plug doesn't work (maybe something to do on SSDT... this may solve previous point)
  • From a warm boot and eGPU already plugged, Opencore doesn't boot, I have black screen with a white cursor > System seem to be stucked
Let me check Windows behavior on my Test Bench. Will update this post shortly.

Update (Windows 10):
  • Downloaded and installed Windows Thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte's Z390 Designare support page.
  • Now Apple TB-to-GbE adapter works when connected before boot (hot plug not functional with modified Titan Ridge firmware).
  • PowerColor Gaming Station X does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
@Inqnuam,

When we delete ThunderboltDROM from our SSDT, macOS then picks it up from the Titan Ridge firmware. That firmware does not have TB Port 7 enabled. But if we replace the firmware's DROM section with an "empty" DROM, then Apple's PEI/DXE Thunderbolt drivers will generate a fully functional DROM automatically.

So we just need to flash the attached modified NVM33. This one contains the so-called "empty" or "light" DROM.
Theres any difference by adding DROM in SSDT like before and loading it with Apple's PEI/DXE TB drivers? Any benefices with the 2nd method?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
HD 630HD + RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
@yosoyoco and any else have network issues after enabling AppleVTD,

Can you verify under MaciASL, if you have DMAR table appearing like that :

I can confirm that I do have the DMAR table in MacIASL and I do not have anything in the ACPI-->Delete portion of my config for OC.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Theres any difference by adding DROM in SSDT like before and loading it with Apple's PEI/DXE TB drivers? Any benefices with the 2nd method?
I think it might be better to specify ThunderboltDROM in SSDT. So just add ThunderboltDROM back into SSDT and reboot.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Let me check Windows behavior on my Test Bench. Will update this post shortly.

Update (Windows 10):
  • Downloaded and installed Windows Thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte's Z390 Designare support page.
  • Now Apple TB-to-GbE adapter works when connected before boot (hot plug not functional with modified Titan Ridge firmware).
  • PowerColor Gaming Station X does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.
Could you try, on BIOS setting, enabling Thunderbolt Vt-d security and change to Boot once ?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Could you try, on BIOS setting, enabling Thunderbolt Vt-d security and change to Boot once ?
Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro is working now in Windows 10 with the two BIOS changes (Thunderbolt Vt-d Security enabled, and Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once)!

Now going to reboot and check PowerColor Gaming Station X eGPU...

Update: PowerColor Gaming Station X not working in Windows (P.S. I don't care :))

Last edited: