1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
D'oh! I thought I need to set the number of threads inside of the CpuTSCSync kext, and in trying to find the value in PlistEditPro, I caused all kexts to now show as folders.
I tried rebuilding Launch Services, but I think the command is for Sierra, because it didn't take. Does anyone have a Terminal Command solution for this?

Kexts as Folders.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
D'oh! I thought I need to set the number of threads inside of the CpuTSCSync kext, and in trying to find the value in PlistEditPro, I caused all kexts to now show as folders.
I tried rebuilding Launch Services, but I think the command is for Sierra, because it didn't take. Does anyone have a Terminal Command solution for this?

View attachment 522548
  • Is this for the Z390 Designare?
  • Do you have a bootable backup? If so, simply grab the working EFI folder from there.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
HD 630HD + RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
I have the Fenvi installed in a PCIe x1 slot (short slot). Is it the same for you?
Yes, that’s where I have it. Was the modified BIOS you’re running intentionally changed to allow for the Fenvi card to work? Or is that a behavior you’re seeing as a result of the previous work?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, that’s where I have it. Was the modified BIOS you’re running intentionally changed to allow for the Fenvi card to work? Or is that a behavior you’re seeing as a result of the previous work?
This is exactly what we're trying to find out with @yosoyoco. On the same Z390 Designare, enabling Vt-d has disabled his Ethernet and WiFi. On my Z390 Designare with the new BIOS, enabling Vt-d does not affect Ethernet or WiFi.

The BIOS was not explicitly modified to allow for the Fenvi card to work. Instead, it was modified to include:
  • Apple Thunderbolt PEI/DXE drivers
  • AppleVTD DXE driver

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Do I risk screwing up the backup by mounting it on an online system with this "kexts as folders" problem? I wanted to ask before I attach backup SSDs...
As long as your system is booted up and running, you can safely mount the EFI partition of the backup drive. Just be extra careful and copy the EFI folder from the backup disk to the corrupted disk. Double-check all steps.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GT 710
@CaseySJ I don't have any audio devices or that BIOS you're testing, but I decided to see what happened if I enabled Vt-D on my build. I was turning it off with DisableIoMapper and leaving it on in the BIOS.

With it fully enabled, both built in ethernet ports break as well as my Fenvi Wi-Fi. The Aquantia 10Gbps NIC in my Z390 doesn't break though.

The 2 built in ethernet ports stay at "not connected", and they swap positions every few seconds if I watch the list of interfaces in network settings.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ I don't have any audio devices or that BIOS you're testing, but I decided to see what happened if I enabled Vt-D on my build. I was turning it off with DisableIoMapper and leaving it on in the BIOS.

With it fully enabled, both built in ethernet ports break as well as my Fenvi Wi-Fi. The Aquantia 10Gbps NIC in my Z390 doesn't break though.

The 2 built in ethernet ports stay at "not connected", and they swap positions every few seconds if I watch the list of interfaces in network settings.
Yes, everyone has been reporting this issue regarding broken internal Ethernet and PCIe WiFi. But with new BIOS, my Z390 Designare is still fully functional with Vt-d enabled. This is being posted via the internal Ethernet port.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As long as your system is booted up and running, you can safely mount the EFI partition of the backup drive. Just be extra careful and copy the EFI folder from the backup disk to the corrupted disk. Double-check all steps.
D'oh! That didn't do the trick. Do I need to Rebuild Launch Services from Terminal?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
D'oh! That didn't do the trick. Do I need to Rebuild Launch Services from Terminal?
I don't have enough information to advise on this matter.
  • Not sure what changes you tried to make to the EFI
  • Not sure how those changes were made
  • Not sure why those changes were needed
  • Not sure what happened to the kexts
Have you tried simply rebooting the system?