Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there, thanks again for a strong build and amazing ongoing support!

I've been rock solid stable for about a year on 10.15.3 until last night when the system started kernel panicking after different periods of being left alone. Been religiously avoiding anything automatically updating so I just don't know what would have caused this new pattern of panics.

i9 9900KF
Designare Z390
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT SE 8GB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x 8GB (running fine at 2666MHz)
WD SN750 M.2 NVMe
Clover version 5104

I have turned off screen saver and allowing the display to sleep, so far not convinced this has any bearing on the panics. System sleep/wake and waking up a sleeping display have worked perfectly since the original installation a year ago. If I'm actively using the computer (email, web browsing, working in Adobe Premiere) all is good, but if I leave it alone and walk away for 5 minutes I'll come back and it will have frozen/locked up. Weirdly, it appears to be almost exactly 5 minutes each time, based on when I see that the system clock has frozen. A hard reset from the case lets it boot back up and a Problem Report is generated. Attached two of them to this post. The fact that the panic begins with a video freeze (and not the "your computer has a problem" roll down) and the "AMDRadeonX6000" in the backtrace worries me that this is being caused by some weird new thing with my 5700 XT.

I'm considering moving up to a newer version of Catalina, but haven't seen a ton of discussion for moving from 10.15.3 to 10.15.7.

Anything jump out as an obvious thing to check? Or a big red flag in the Problem Reports?

Thanks again for the time/energy on this huge thread, much appreciated --
This seems suspiciously like the background photo image analysis process that plagues older versions of Catalina with RX 5700 XT GPUs. Because the crash happens after 5 minutes of activity, it means background image analysis is most likely getting started.

Recommendation: Make full backup then upgrade to latest Catalina. Please ensure you’re on OpenCore (no need to upgrade to latest OpenCore if you’re running an older version).

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GT 710
I ran the Big Sur Backup according to the Catalina Mini Guide. All went well except a warning after completion regarding the post shell script.

View attachment 517779

I was able to boot from the Backup SSD without problems though.
I kept getting this issue too. Turns out for some odd reason, I had a second, small EFI partition at the end of the backup drive. I deleted that partition and stopped getting that error.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@zakinster,

Which version of macOS Big Sur are you running? Some of us are having constant kernel panics with GC-Titan Ridge on 11.3 onwards (Z490 Vision D).

cc: @Matic

Motherboard
Asus H87M-Pro
CPU
i5 4670
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
This seems suspiciously like the background photo image analysis process that plagues older versions of Catalina with RX 5700 XT GPUs. Because the crash happens after 5 minutes of activity, it means background image analysis is most likely getting started.

Recommendation: Make full backup then upgrade to latest Catalina. Please ensure you’re on OpenCore (no need to upgrade to latest OpenCore if you’re running an older version).
I have no idea what background photo image analysis is but you’re saying it’s a known issue for 5700 XT and old Catalina? I was worried this was something very specific to me but at least glad to hear that maybe it’s something more common.

Are there any other things I could look for that would confirm that this is really the problem?

I think I remember reading that Apple’s patch notes for the 10.15.7 update specifically mention addressing a possible graphics issue for iMacs w/ a 5700 XT. Is that the background photo process you’re talking about and would that mean a combo update to 10.15.7 is my best bet?

In terms of moving to OpenCore, is there perhaps a mini-guide for moving from Clover to OpenCore? And should I try to do that before, after, or simultaneous with upgrading OS version?

Thanks!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have no idea what background photo image analysis is but you’re saying it’s a known issue for 5700 XT and old Catalina? I was worried this was something very specific to me but at least glad to hear that maybe it’s something more common.

Are there any other things I could look for that would confirm that this is really the problem?
You can run Activity Monitor from Utilities folder and sort the list by % CPU. Just leave it running until the system crashes. Then take a photo of the screen assuming the system does not reboot. Or keep watching the screen. If you see mediaanalysisd (something like that) that it is confirmed.

I think I remember reading that Apple’s patch notes for the 10.15.7 update specifically mention addressing a possible graphics issue for iMacs w/ a 5700 XT. Is that the background photo process you’re talking about and would that mean a combo update to 10.15.7 is my best bet?
All of those issues have been resolved in latest Catalina.

In terms of moving to OpenCore, is there perhaps a mini-guide for moving from Clover to OpenCore? And should I try to do that before, after, or simultaneous with upgrading OS version?

Thanks!
The Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1 is the first place to look.

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 6.11.51 AM.png

Motherboard
Asus H87M-Pro
CPU
i5 4670
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
You can run Activity Monitor from Utilities folder and sort the list by % CPU. Just leave it running until the system crashes. Then take a photo of the screen assuming the system does not reboot. Or keep watching the screen. If you see mediaanalysisd (something like that) that it is confirmed.
You nailed it. 5 minutes and 9 seconds after I left the mouse and keyboard alone, mediaanalysisd popped up in Activity Monitor. Within a second the system froze.

I looked into another thread here about mediaanalysisd and found that it is easy to unload from the launch agent via a Terminal command. So far so good, will still likely go for the OS upgrade soon.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• mediaanalysisd.jpg
    mediaanalysisd.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Motherboard
Gigabyte designare z390
CPU
I7 9700K
Graphics
rx580 nitro+
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** Calling all Owners of Good Quality Hackintosh Builds **
We would like to add your OpenCore EFI folders to the HackinDROM database!​

Do you have a well configured Hackintosh based on a motherboard that is not listed below?
  • ASRock X570 Taichi
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
  • HP Elitebook 850 G7
If so, we would like to add it to the database:
Asus prime z370-a

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Asus prime z370-a
All,

I have no choice but to delete a post like this in the future. Please read the linked article. It is up to individual contributors to upload their well-defined OpenCore EFIs to the HackinDROM database. We cannot create them for you and the database will not support every motherboard. It will only support those boards for which individual contributors upload their EFI folders.

If your board is not in the database, do NOT use HackinDROM app. Create and update your OpenCore EFI folder manually.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
Intel i9-9900k
Graphics
AMD Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@zakinster,

Which version of macOS Big Sur are you running? Some of us are having constant kernel panics with GC-Titan Ridge on 11.3 onwards (Z490 Vision D).

cc: @Matic
Since Monday my GC-Titan Ridge (v1) is flashed and installed in the PCIEX4 port (sourced from PCH side) of the Gigabyte Z390 Designare and I'm running a fresh install of macOS 11.3 (20E232) with OpenCore 0.6.9 and every kext up to date from their latest GitHub release at that time (May 3rd). I'll try the 11.3.1 (20E241) update soon.

I did not observe any kernel panic so far.

Please also note that I was running another install of macOS 11.3 with the GC-Titan Ridge (v1) installed in the PCIEX8 port (sourced from CPU side) of the Gigabyte Z390 for almost 6 month now, but it did not have a flashed firmware and was merely used as a 2xDP to TB video converter from the discrete GPU to the LG Ultrafine 5k (which works as long as the AIC is powered without even needing a PCIe lane connection).

I did not observe much kernel panic then, at least not related to the AIC, AFAIK, but it wasn't really used by the OS at that time.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
Intel i9-9900k
Graphics
AMD Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated to 11.3.1 (20E241), update process ran smoothly, no issue so far (~2 hours use).