Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
MacBook Pro
Please let us know if the problem turns out to be monitor- or cable-related per your earlier post.

So far different cables gave the same results... I'll try to get another display and check soon. Everything works great, and the second HDMI display input looks better than the first one, and on startup the display ratio and resolution is perfect. I double checked all the settings and compared it with your framebuffer patching guide, all seems to be good. Maybe it's just the monitor... will update tomorrow/Tuesday.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Desingnare
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
OK. Tried USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 on several devices, trying different USB port and multiple times. The installation always stops at "An error occurred validating the installer data. The download is either damanged or incomplete. (Redownload the installer and try again.)" about 3/4 of the progress bar or with "About 2 minutes remaining" in. This is on a Mojave 10.14.4, so not covered yet in the instructions. Does anyone know how to get past this? Alternatively, does anyone know where to download 10.14.3 so I can rule out it's a difference that needs to be covered in additional instructions? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Motherboard
z390 Designare
CPU
i9
Graphics
Vega64
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
128K, Classic, iMac, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, Xserve
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
The only thing special I am running for the Vega is the VegaTab64.kext.
EDIT: My cards actually have two different names (see screenshot from System Profiler). Possibly this is the cause. I am not sure how to create an SSDT to rename the cards.
Other than that, this is all I have going on in the Devices panel:
So I now have the iGPU showing up in iStat, Both Vega cards appear in the SystemProfiler, Premiere (yuck) and Cinema see both Vega cards but apparently I am stalled at addressing the iGPU. FCP won't render h.264 and Resolve will not launch.
And in a probably unrelated issue, my Gigabyte boot screen sometimes doesn't appear.

Attachments

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
So I now have the iGPU showing up in iStat, Both Vega cards appear in the SystemProfiler, Premiere (yuck) and Cinema see both Vega cards but apparently I am stalled at addressing the iGPU. FCP won't render h.264 and Resolve will not launch.
And in a probably unrelated issue, my Gigabyte boot screen sometimes doesn't appear.
Most likely not helpful but I just noticed that all I need to do was hit the refresh button in Videopro and it loaded for the first time. I've been fighting this one for a month.

Motherboard
z390 Designare
CPU
i9
Graphics
Vega64
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
128K, Classic, iMac, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, Xserve
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
h.264 encoding shows up in VideoProc but FCP still wont render it out. The last time I had the issue adding the info in Devices sorted it out.

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
OK. Tried USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 on several devices, trying different USB port and multiple times. The installation always stops at "An error occurred validating the installer data. The download is either damanged or incomplete. (Redownload the installer and try again.)" about 3/4 of the progress bar or with "About 2 minutes remaining" in. This is on a Mojave 10.14.4, so not covered yet in the instructions. Does anyone know how to get past this? Alternatively, does anyone know where to download 10.14.3 so I can rule out it's a difference that needs to be covered in additional instructions? Thanks in advance for all your help!
Have you tried a different USB stick? From the Installation Procedure in Post 1:

Use a good quality USB drive. It seems we all have some decrepit USB drives from yesteryear. Don't use them! Buy a new high quality USB 3.0 drive from a reputable manufacturer.

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD530 + GTX 950m 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
Have you tried a different USB stick? From the Installation Procedure in Post 1:

Use a good quality USB drive. It seems we all have some decrepit USB drives from yesteryear. Don't use them! Buy a new high quality USB 3.0 drive from a reputable manufacturer.
USB 2.0 sticks normally works better

Motherboard
Gigabyte Desingnare
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Not a problem with the quality of the drives, they are SanDisks and I tried several ones.

The installer log has this set of lines that seem to indicate the problem. Please note that the file name used in the line "Validating asset: ..." ends in .dmg.partial vs. .dmg.partialState on the actual drive.

Mar 31 15:18:52 iMac osinstallersetupd[623]: Started downloading package com.apple.dmg.InstallESD (linkfile:///Volumes/Image%20Volume/Install%20macOS%20Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg)
Mar 31 15:22:31 iMac osinstallersetupd[623]: Validating asset: /Volumes/Mojave/macOS Install Data/InstallESD.dmg.partial
Mar 31 15:22:31 iMac osinstallersetupd[623]: Will verify dmg as pkgdmg.
Mar 31 15:22:31 iMac osinstallersetupd[623]: Getting offset for dmg in pkg: /Volumes/Mojave/macOS Install Data/InstallESD.dmg.partial
Mar 31 15:22:31 iMac osinstallersetupd[623]: Verifying InstallESD.dmg
Mar 31 15:22:55 iMac osinstallersetupd[623]: Failed to validate
Mar 31 15:22:55 iMac osinstallersetupd[623]: Failed to retrieve linkfile:///Volumes/Image%20Volume/Install%20macOS%20Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg (Error Domain=com.apple.osinstallersetup.LinkFileDownload Code=8 "An error occurred validating the installer data. The download is either damaged or incomplete." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred validating the installer data. The download is either damaged or incomplete., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Redownload the installer and try again.})

Motherboard
Gigabyte Desingnare
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Also, this is the file version downloaded from the App Store
Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 3.55.53 PM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
*** Mini Guide: How to Customize Device Names and Properties ***

In most cases macOS identifies your PCI devices and shows them to you in System Information --> PCI. But there are always some devices that are not listed or devices whose names we wish to change. In most cases, the information presented in the System Information --> PCI page is informational only and has no functional effect. This means we can choose our own property values (within reason).

But some applications such as Adobe Premiere (and possibly others) are sensitive to the device names -- but only in certain specific cases. If you have two or more graphics cards, regardless of whether they are iGPU or dGPU or eGPU, some applications prioritize the graphics card whose name comes first alphabetically. So if you wanted these applications to prioritize Vega over the Intel UHD 630, you would have to rename one or the other, or both. Because the letter I comes before V, the Intel UHD 630 will be prioritized by default. To prioritize the Vega over the Intel, we could rename it to "AMD Vega" because, well, A comes before everything else!

The procedure for customizing device names and properties is rather straightforward. We'll go through an example.

Preparation:
Download DarwinDumper 3.0.4 from any of several locations. Here's one download location.

Procedure:
  1. Launch Darwin Dumper. If you encounter a security warning, open System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General and allow macOS to run the application.
  2. Perform the 3 steps shown:
    Darwin Dumper 1.png
  3. You will be prompted for your system password, so enter it.
  4. A couple of seconds later, Darwin Dumper will quit automatically and will pop up a Finder window showing the output files. Here's the resulting folder from my system:
    Darwin Dumper Files.png
  5. Open the LSPCI folder and double-click lspci map (M).txt. It should open in TextEdit or you can right-click and open it in an app of your choice. This is a condensed summary of all the PCI devices and their PCI paths. If you wish to view a more detailed report, open the file lspci detailed (nnvvbxxxx).txt.
  6. Here's what my condensed summary looks like, with some key devices highlighted in red and the AMD RX 580 highlighted in green.
    Darwin Summary.png
  7. Let's say we want to modify the name of our RX 580 graphics card. We see in green that the card has a PCI address (first few characters in the green line) of 01:00.0.
  8. Now mount the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD, run Clover Configurator, and open your config.plist.
  9. Go to the Devices section and take a look at the Arbitrary tab.
    CC - Devices.png
  10. If you followed the section entitled Specifying Device Names and Types in the build guide, your config.plist will look like the image above, with two PCI devices already named (Intel PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller and Broadcom 94360CS2). [If you're using a different WiFi card, you can use this mini-guide to rename it.]
  11. Notice the PciAddr* field. The first entry is 00:14.0 (USB controller) which is the 2nd red highlight in Step 6 above. The next entry is 05:00.0 (Broadcom WiFi), which is the last red highlight in Step 6. Now you know where these PCI Addresses came from -- they came from a Darwin Dump.
  12. Now look at the green highlight in Step 6. This is the AMD RX 580 graphics card. And its PciAddr* is 01:00.0. This corresponds to Slot 1. If your RX 580 or Vega is in a different slot, you will see a different PCI Address.
  13. To specify a name for this card, we need to add a new Arbitrary entry as follows:
    • Click the + icon to add a new entry.
    • Enter the PCI Address as shown in the Darwin Dump. For the RX 580 in this example, we would enter 01:00.0
    • Enter a Comment for your own reference. This will not appear in macOS.
    • Now enter one or more Custom Properties in the box on the right by clicking the + icon on the bottom right.
    • The name of the device is specified in the parameter model. Therefore, to name our RX 580 as "AMD RX 580" we would create a custom property where key is model, Value is AMD RX 580, and Value Type is String. The result should look like this:
      CC - New Name.png
    • But we're not finished yet. We can also specify a Slot ID. If we have 2 or more graphics cards, we would create separate entries for each one. We can give each one the same name or different names. But we would assign different Slot IDs for each card.
    • Slot ID is specified by adding the Custom Property AAPL,slot-name. In this example, the RX 580 is in Slot 1, so we would create another Custom Property as follows: Key is AAPL,slot-name, Value is Slot-1, and Value Type is String. The final result is shown here:
      CC - Slot Name.png
  14. Now save the file and reboot for changes to take effect.
Verification:
After rebooting the system, open System Information --> PCI (go to About this Mac and choose System Report) and check if your device is listed along with the custom properties you specified.

Notes and Warnings:
  • If you are using the RX580 or Vega SSDT (in CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder), you should modify names and slot IDs in the SSDT itself.
  • If you want to add or modify custom properties for the Intel UHD 630, you can add the custom properties to Devices --> Properties instead of Devices --> Arbitrary. This is because we are already injecting various custom properties for the Intel UHD 630 as you can see below.
    CC - Intel UHD.png
--- end of procedure ---

Last edited: