Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey All, Yesterday Decided to take Catalina 10.15.7 build on to OpenCore 0.6.4, this went pretty smoothly. Everything seems to be working great. Today I proceeded to try the update to Big Sur, When it reboots and It tries to boot the Install image I end up with OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted.

I dug around this thread for anything and didn't find anything on this specifically then moved on to various other threads with options but everything that I found resulted in the same error or breaking my OpenCore completely on this hardware. SO, here I am haha, being that the hardware is based on this thread Im hoping someone has seen this and just got it going easily.

Any help is much appreciated... Ill keep searching in the meantime.... :beachball:
We can usually fix this as follows:
  • Go to BIOS Setup
  • Then go to the Boot section
Here you will see boot disks listed in priority order. The first boot priority will most likely be OpenCore. Change the first boot priority to the macOS SSD itself. Now the system should boot...

Note that OpenCore will later change first boot priority back to OpenCore, and that is perfectly okay.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-12-30 alle 10.59.59 PM.png
    Schermata 2020-12-30 alle 10.59.59 PM.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 11
Motherboard
Z390
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Thanks.. yeah that didn't work, If I select the macOS Install image it gives the same error then jumps back to OC select boot device screen. If I boot Catalina at this point it fails, but it I power down and restart Catalina is fine.

triple checking all my BIOS settings now... (F9h)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks.. yeah that didn't work, If I select the macOS Install image it gives the same error then jumps back to OC select boot device screen. If I boot Catalina at this point it fails, but it I power down and restart Catalina is fine.

triple checking all my BIOS settings now... (F9h)
Also do a Reset NVRAM by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore Picker. You'll find that option on the right end.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@salvomercadante

That screenshot has ACPI, Drivers, and Kexts folders expanded. Please close those folders and capture the screenshot again. I am looking for the Modification Dates of:
  • BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
  • OC/OpenCore.efi
  • OC/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.efi (this one is already in the screenshot)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[USER = 2026837] @salvomercadante [/ USER]

Lo screenshot ha le cartelle ACPI, Drivers e Kexts espanse. Si prega di chiudere quelle cartelle e catturare di nuovo lo screenshot. Sto cercando le date di modifica di:
  • BOOT / BOOTX64.efi
  • OC / OpenCore.efi
  • OC / Bootstrap / Bootstrap.efi (questo è già nello screenshot)

così?

Attachments

• Senza nome2.png
    Senza nome2.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 13
Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I honestly don't even know where to look. could you take a look at it?

You can use THIS tool to compare your config.plist to the updated sample.plist file that comes with each OC release. It will list where you have missing/extra fields in your config.plist file and you can thus edit it as necessary.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes that's better. The modification date is 02 November 2020, which means this is an older version of OpenCore. OpenCore 0.6.4 has a modification date of 07 December 2020.
  1. Please download the OpenCore 0.6.4 EFI folder from here (save it to your Downloads folder)
  2. Rename the top level folder to EFI (very important)
  3. Then copy config.plist from my previous reply into the EFI/OC folder
  4. Make a backup of your existing EFI folder
  5. Then copy the new EFI folder (from Downloads directory) into the EFI partition of your macOS SSD
  6. Reboot and see if those warnings go away

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
5700XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you've flashed the card back to stock, try these two patches. It's for RP05, so feel free to find/replace R05 with whatever RPxx value you need.
What do these patches do, just hot plug? If so I already have hotplug working with stock firmware before I started messing with firmware flashing. Thanks though.