Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just wondering if I could get some advice please.

I'm currently running a stable clover build running 10.14.6 after following @CaseySJ build (THANK YOU!!!!)

Its running really well but I'm getting nagged to death about the security update and supplemental OS update. Also I'm a little bothered about using it online and not having the security patches up to date....

Do I need to do anything to the build (update kexts etc) before running the updates?

I'm trying to avoid having to go down the whole OC route as this was my first Hackintosh and I use it daily for work. I'm pretty nervous about trashing a working build!!! I will go OC and Catalina if that's the only option but for now I'm happy on Mojave, its just the security updates and OS updates that bother me.

I do keep an up to date bootable backup but it does bother me!

So Mojave security update 2020-005 ?
OS Supplemental update?

Help!!!!!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have flashed the modified firmware for Asrock Z490 ITX/TB3 into my HP Thunderbolt Add-in-card, it is still NO hardware was found in the system info.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that’s all we can do. Please have a look at @dgsga’s last post in this thread and feel free to experiment.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just wondering if I could get some advice please.

I'm currently running a stable clover build running 10.14.6 after following @CaseySJ build (THANK YOU!!!!)

Its running really well but I'm getting nagged to death about the security update and supplemental OS update. Also I'm a little bothered about using it online and not having the security patches up to date....

Do I need to do anything to the build (update kexts etc) before running the updates?

I'm trying to avoid having to go down the whole OC route as this was my first Hackintosh and I use it daily for work. I'm pretty nervous about trashing a working build!!! I will go OC and Catalina if that's the only option but for now I'm happy on Mojave, its just the security updates and OS updates that bother me.

I do keep an up to date bootable backup but it does bother me!

So Mojave security update 2020-005 ?
OS Supplemental update?

Help!!!!!
Once the bootable backup has been updated, it’s okay to install the updates directly through “System Preferences —> Software Update”.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Once the bootable backup has been updated, it’s okay to install the updates directly through “System Preferences —> Software Update”.
Hello Casey,
What about for updating from Catalina to Big Sur when it will be released?
Will you update your main Hackintosh to Big Sur when its out?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Casey,
What about for updating from Catalina to Big Sur when it will be released?
Will you update your main Hackintosh to Big Sur when its out?
Fortunately anyone running Catalina with OpenCore 0.6.2 or newer is ready for the upgrade. Will create a mini-guide for this soon.

Motherboard
Z390 Gigabyte Designare
CPU
i9900k
Graphics
RX 580 8 GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thats brilliant news, thanks @CaseySJ

So I just do a final backup and then update from System Preferences / Software Updates?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thats brilliant news, thanks @CaseySJ

So I just do a final backup and then update from System Preferences / Software Updates?
Yes it’s really just that simple.

However, those using OpenIntelWireless drivers must first set Misc —> Security —> SecureBootMode to Disabled (not Default). When the upgrade is done they can set this back to Default.

Motherboard
Z390 Gigabyte Designare
CPU
i9900k
Graphics
RX 580 8 GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes it’s really just that simple.

However, those using OpenIntelWireless drivers must first set Misc —> Security —> SecureBootMode to Disabled (not Default). When the upgrade is done they can set this back to Default.
Thats amazing news, right I'll get to it!

Thanks again for the help, this thread and your support has been invaluable.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** Mini-Guide: Upgrading to macOS 11.0.x Big Sur from macOS 10.15.x Catalina **
AVAILABLE STARTING NOVEMBER 12, 2020
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 6.36.00 AM.png
macOS Big Sur is a major upgrade of the Macintosh operating system, so much so that it increments the version number to 11 for the first time in over a decade.

Checklist for Upgrading to Big Sur:
  • You must be running macOS 10.15.4 or newer version of Catalina.
  • You must be using OpenCore 0.6.2 or newer.
    • OpenCore 0.6.3 is preferred because of enhanced support for Big Sur.
  • If you are using OpenIntelWireless drivers, change Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel to Disabled (not Default).
    • After Big Sur is installed, this parameter can be changed back to Default.

Procedure:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Catalina.
    • A Time Machine backup is not a bootable backup.
    • Easiest way to make a bootable backup is as follows:
      • Run either (a) Carbon Copy Cloner or (b) SuperDuper to clone the internal Catalina SSD to a backup SSD.
      • Then mount the EFI partitions of the original Catalina SSD and the backup SSD.
      • Copy (not move) the EFI folder from the EFI partition of original Catalina SSD to EFI partition of backup SSD.
  • Verify that the bootable backup disk works, as follows:
    • Reboot the system.
    • Press F12 at the Gigabyte Splash Screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu (not the OpenCore Picker).
    • Select the backup disk from the list.
    • When OpenCore Picker appears, select the option to boot Catalina from the backup disk.
    • If the boot process succeeds, you may now shutdown the computer, disconnect the backup disk, and boot from Catalina from the internal SSD.
  • When you are logged back in to Catalina, select System Preferences --> Software Update.
    • Stay with the computer and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Each time the system reboots, if you see "Macintosh HD" as a boot option in OpenCore Picker, make sure that it is selected.
      • If it is not automatically selected, select it manually.
    • After one or two reboots, the "Macintosh HD" option will be removed automatically. In that case, boot the internal macOS SSD.

Good luck and welcome to Big Sur! Having used the public beta for the past few months, I absolutely love Big Sur. I hope you do too. :)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello @srmusico,

Are you using GC-Titan Ridge?

If you (a) boot the system with both Twin and Satellite connected, and then (b) reboot the system and log back in, then are both devices functional in macOS?
I Have Z390 Designare, your Motherboard. With the internal Thunderbolt flashed with correct firmware.
everything have been followed .

Nop, anything work. If i just boot with them (as you do when you dont have hotplug ) also 1 only is dettected.
Also, if i delete the hotplug dsdt , any thunderbolt work (with or without hotplug) .

Before flashing was working both. and with a Titan Ridge PCie Card in other hackintosh that have here, works fine also. Only happens in the flashed Z390 Designare.

Regards.