Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
I9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
The device-id is wrong. For headless configuration on 9th gen CPU, device-id should be 923E0000 (913E0000 can also work). Please try the config.plist on post #2541. I already made the changes for you.

Make sure that you are booting from the correct EFI partition and that EFI partition has the updated config.plist.
Friend, I am going to collapse. I replaced your config.plist. Device-id has not changed.

I changed it to 913E0000 and it is also invalid, it is always fixed at 983E0000.

I am also afraid that I have not updated to your config.plist. Or start another EFI. So I specially modified the clover self-starting time. Change the countdown from 5s to 3s.

As you can see, I didn't make a mistake or start another EFI. The device-id is always the same.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Friend, I am going to collapse. I replaced your config.plist. Device-id has not changed.

I changed it to 913E0000 and it is also invalid, it is always fixed at 983E0000.

I am also afraid that I have not updated to your config.plist. Or start another EFI. So I specially modified the clover self-starting time. Change the countdown from 5s to 3s.

As you can see, I didn't make a mistake or start another EFI. The device-id is always the same.

View attachment 394354
I don't know why the changes in config.plist are not taking effect...

Can you try to copy your entire EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive and then boot from the USB flash drive to see if it takes effect?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS

View attachment 394354
Because you have "Inject Kexts" set to "Detect" as shown in the screenshot below, it means you should install Lilu and WhateverGreen into /Library/Extensions and rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility. In your screenshot, we can see also that AppleIntelFramebuffer is not being attached. Instead, you have the default IONDRVFramebuffer. So please try again after installing Lilu/WhateverGreen into /L/E folder.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 7.21.50 AM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
No, I am running 10.14.3. (I updated from 10.14.1 recently.)
In this case you can use the UHD 630 connector patch listed in the build guide.

Yes, in the long slot. I will change this.
And there's an USB connection on that board, as well. I have that connected to the motherboard USB header.
No! Please leave it in the long slot. This motherboard is very picky about Broadcom cards with BT firmware 20703, which only seems to work when installed into a long slot.

Your Hackintool screenshot shows USBInjectAll 0.6.4, which is rather old. Please replace with the latest version 0.7.1 from here (first file in the list). When installing into /Library/Extensions, run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
In this case you can use the UHD 630 connector patch listed in the build guide.
Weird, i had done this.

No! Please leave it in the long slot. This motherboard is very picky about Broadcom cards with BT firmware 20703, which only seems to work when installed into a long slot.

Your Hackintool screenshot shows USBInjectAll 0.6.4, which is rather old. Please replace with the latest version 0.7.1 from here (first file in the list). When installing into /Library/Extensions, run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches.
I redid the whole post install part.
I also updated the USBInjectAll.kext.
Not much changed though. But i'm going to do a fresh install someday in the future, no need to waste any more time on this :D.

Thanks for helping me out!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Weird, i had done this.

I redid the whole post install part.
I also updated the USBInjectAll.kext.
Not much changed though. But i'm going to do a fresh install someday in the future, no need to waste any more time on this :D.

Thanks for helping me out!
That's a very rational decision! :) If you require help during or after the fresh install, just ask.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE-F4
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Wake from Sleep
I have removed "darkwake=0" from my own system. I don't mind pressing 2 keys to wake-from-sleep. I made this change several weeks ago and I think this may be more reliable. Sleep and Wake have been working flawlessly for weeks.

Also, in System Preferences --> Energy Saver, disable "Wake for network access" and "Enable Power Nap". (Although I haven not personally encountered any issues with "Power Nap" enabled.)

Also delete your com.apple.PowerManagement.* preferences files as described here.

Freeze Issues
The i9-9900K and the Vega are power hungry devices under load. Even though your freeze issues might stem from other sources, it is nevertheless a good idea to check and upgrade your power supply. I would recommend using a simple Kill-a-Watt meter to monitor wattage under load. If you have sustained consumption at or above 500W, it's time for a beefier power supply.
Thanks. I've made these changes. After a few times of going to sleep, it just stays on a black screen as if it's not awake, but you can hear the computer is running as normal. Nothing being displayed. I have to do a reboo,t and then I get stuck in the clover boot menu a few times. I need to turn off the computer and the power supply. Eventually, I get past the Clover menu and everything works fine until it does that sleep thing I said again at some point within the first 3/4 times it goes to sleep. Its making my build unusable ATM.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Just ordered it. Will report back after I try it out.
Thanks, really curious if it's in fact PCIe 3.0 X1. According to Marvell 88SE9215 product brief and datasheet, I'm not holding my breath. Everything points to PCIe 2.0 X1 or X2 capability...

Datasheet
Product Brief

Fingers crossed!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just Updated BIOS to F6 from F6c.
I can't import my old (F6c) profile saved to USB key. (not compatible).
So, after loading "Optimized Defaults", manually entered all Data from Casey guide.
So far so good.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks. I've made these changes. After a few times of going to sleep, it just stays on a black screen as if it's not awake, but you can hear the computer is running as normal. Nothing being displayed. I have to do a reboo,t and then I get stuck in the clover boot menu a few times. I need to turn off the computer and the power supply. Eventually, I get past the Clover menu and everything works fine until it does that sleep thing I said again at some point within the first 3/4 times it goes to sleep. Its making my build unusable ATM.
Arg, the dreaded wake-from-sleep that you've been reporting since the beginning...

Have you upgraded the power supply? Are all SATA drives working now after replacing the bad cable? Are the Vega fans under control? If you're a Final Cut user, have you switched to a headless platform ID?

If so, is wake-from-sleep the only remaining issue now?