CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64 + RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'll check the behavior of my card in a x16 slot later today.

If the card is working well enough in a (wasted) x16 slot, then I think you should continue to use it! But as soon as you need that x16 slot for something else, you might want to find an alternative solution. But look specifically for:
  • BCM94360CS2 <-- GOOD; must have every one of these characters in the name
  • BCM94360 <-- REJECT
  • BCM94360CS <-- REJECT
  • BCM943602 <-- REJECT
Edit:
  • BCM94360CD <-- GOOD as well
BCM943602cs good

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
half a day I have been deleting some kext and redo the iMessage with terminal
so now everything working for now.

"iMessage BT hand off full acceleration H264 HEVC "
That's funny! :) But good to know.

Also I wonder know why in the info I have USB in the ethernet info ?
There are many USB Ethernet adapters on the market. There are also many USB hubs with built-in Ethernet adapters. So if you connect one of these devices, your computer will show "USB Ethernet".

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Another Thunderbolt Audio Devices:
Apogee Element 24 (Thunderbolt 2 with Apple Adapter TB3-TB2 + TB2 Apple Cable).
Thank you! Added to the Thunderbolt 3 Experiences section.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64 + RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
That's funny! :) But good to know.

There are many USB Ethernet adapters on the market. There are also many USB hubs with built-in Ethernet adapters. So if you connect one of these devices, your computer will show "USB Ethernet".
I didn't plug anything with ethernet port

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Has anyone tested a Thunderbolt Display thru a Thunderbolt 3 dock by now? I'm really interested in this board and want to use it with my old 2012 iMac in TDM mode.

Cheers
Please note that Target Disk Mode (TDM) is one of the benefits of having a properly defined Thunderbolt Local Node. This has not currently been achieved on any Hackintosh as far as I know, although people are looking for a solution.

A properly defined Thunderbolt Local Node allows two computers to connect directly over a single cable and perform at least the following functions:
  • Transfer data at high speeds between the two computers (Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge)
  • Access the other computer's boot disk (Target Disk Mode or TDM)
  • Use the other computer's built-in display (this is what I think you want to do) by sending DisplayPort video from the Hackintosh directly to the built-in screen of the real iMac (i.e. Thunderbolt DisplayPort In)
Unfortunately, none of these capabilities is available at this time (P.S. the grammar of this sentence is correct -- "none of these capabilities is available") because we do not have a functioning Thunderbolt Local Node.

If on the other hand you are asking whether Apple Thunderbolt Display will work if connected through a TB3 Dock, I believe there is a 99% chance that it will NOT.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Question about Thunderbolt 3 on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare.
Is there hotplug for Thunderbolt 3 Devices like PCIe external GPUs or real Thunderbolt Hardware, or is Hotplug only for USB-C Devices like Sticks or HDDs?
Hot plug works for real Thunderbolt devices as well as for USB-C devices. But stay away from Thunderbolt 1 devices! Only Thunderbolt 2 and 3 devices work reliably (so far only one TB1 device has been found to work).

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RTX 2080 | RX 580 | UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac, SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please note that Target Disk Mode (TDM) is one of the benefits of having a properly defined Thunderbolt Local Node. This has not currently been achieved on any Hackintosh as far as I know, although people are looking for a solution.

A properly defined Thunderbolt Local Node allows two computers to connect directly over a single cable and perform at least the following functions:
  • Transfer data at high speeds between the two computers (Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge)
  • Access the other computer's boot disk (Target Disk Mode or TDM)
  • Use the other computer's built-in display (this is what I think you want to do) by sending DisplayPort video from the Hackintosh directly to the built-in screen of the real iMac (i.e. Thunderbolt DisplayPort In)
Unfortunately, none of these capabilities is available at this time (P.S. the grammar of this sentence is correct -- "none of these capabilities is available") because we do not have a functioning Thunderbolt Local Node.

If on the other hand you are asking whether Apple Thunderbolt Display will work if connected through a TB3 Dock, I believe there is a 99% chance that it will NOT.
thanks! I omitted too much stuff. I wanted to use my old iMac in TargetDisplayMode (not DiskMode) and I thought it would work thru a dock, if it worked with a ThunderboltDisplay too.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello @TheAsocial, sorry to bring this old post again.

I'm also considering building a Hackintosh when Apple releases their new Displays but I'm a dual monitor user. I was wondering if the reason why you can drive 2 LG Ultrafine5k is because the Designare motherboard only has one DP1.4 in or because the LG split the connection between 2xDP1.2? Thanks!
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand this issue about 2 DP 1.2 connections. The LG UltraFine 5K has only one Thunderbolt port, which is used for video and audio input, and for sending FaceTime camera stream back to the Mac. If the Mac is a laptop, that cable can charge the laptop as well.

So it is impossible to connect 2 DP cables.

However, the reason why Designare Z390 cannot drive two LG UltraFine 5K monitors is because it has only one DP 1.4 input, as you already pointed out.

But there are other 5K monitors on the market that have DP 1.4 connectors instead of Thunderbolt (some have both). Because AMD RX580 and Vega have 2 DP 1.4 connectors, you should be able to drive two 5K monitors using two DP 1.4 cables.

Some additional information from Apple regarding the LG UltraFine:

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've spent the last week reading this entire post. It's been like a good book and can't put it down!!

I've been struggling with what I'll call the "phantom display" as also mentioned in post #810. For some reason I'm showing to have two identical LG UltraFine displays. Not a big deal other than my dock sometimes moving to this phantom display.

LG UltraFine 5k is connected to the Thunderbolt port and the RX580 DisplayPort out is obviously going to the motherboards DisplayPort in.

Any recommendations???

Thanks!

Tom

Attachments

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi guys,

I recently performed the upgrade and all went smooth.
From i7-6700K Z170X to i9-9900K Z390 Designare.

I upgraded from an existing install. I did the MultiBeast, Clover, EFI and kext tasks before shutting down and replacing the parts. This allowed me to boot directly into the upgraded system with no issues except one minor issue with Lilu.kext and my 5k monitor. After replacing the newer Lilu.kext with an older one and rebuilding /Library/Extensions/ folder with KextUtilty.app all was almost good.

A few things are still not working for me though.
- the HDMI port on the motherboard. (I applied the FrameBuffer patches. and it shows in system report.)
- Thunderbolt-to-DisplayPort adapter. (Active TB adapter from club3d; I need that 4K 60p.) It says something like "Display Alt ..., 12mbps speed" in system report. (I think this means it has detected as an USB device and not a TB device.)
- Sleep and wake seems to be working, but chrome and all electron based apps refuse to open. They hang if I try to start them after sleeping. Apps that are active keep working, but closing them and opening them again won't work. Also logging out does not work. (The rolling ball keeps rolling to infinity.)

I believe I followed the guide correctly all the way. I created a fully new config.plist; pretty much copied the BIOS settings except for overclocking; added all the necessary kext; and also did the after install extra parts (like FrameBuffer patch, etc.).

The Intel HD 630 is working. It works when I connect HDMI through an USB-C adapter I have (one of MacBook dongle adapters).

Although these aren't pressing issues, resolving them would give me peace of mind.

Also, I encountered an issue where updating Lilu.kext caused my system to recognize my Dell 5K monitor as 2 monitors. So I am still using an old one.

Current monitor setup:

4K via DisplayPort on Vega 64;
5K via 2 DisplayPort cables on Vega 64;
4K via HDMI2 on Vega64; (this one I have to connect manually each time I boot or wake from sleep, otherwise the monitors keeps cycling and goes to sleep eventually stating that it isn't connected. I tried to connect to the TB port with the active adapter to mitigate this, since DP doesn't have this issue, but the adapter or TB port isn't working properly.)