i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Radeon Vega
What is the make and model of your Vega 64? I would like to add your Vega64.kext to the Contributed Files and Tips section. How widely applicable is this kext? Is it expected to work fairly well for most Vega64s? And Vega56s? Or should this kext be used when other solutions fail? In other words, is there any particular symptom that would necessitate the use of this kext?
Hi CaseySJ,

My Vega 64 is a "SAPPHIRE Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB" that I bought off eBay. It supposedly was NIB but without regular packaging. Whatever that means. It seems to look to be in good condition and only has the mildest of noise (typical I understand) when being stressed with OpenCL tests. My case is completely open until I finish the build, so the minimal noise I do hear will be gone once the case is closed up.

As for the Vega KEXT, the person who created it combined a couple of KEXTs to better regulate fan speed and temperature issues. Their post (#105) is on this page. I saw almost no follow-up comments (and I read the entire thread; as I've read your entire thread). This KEXT works well with Whatevergreen.

I found basically the same things that Lapseart found, that the usual PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable adjustments would have the fan speed idle too fast and up but not come back down and the speed up was to maybe 4000+ rpm (way too fast and way too noisy). Now, with this KEXT, at 100% usage, the fan speeds up to around 2200 and after the load is removed, it gradually reduces speed after a minute or so to it lowest level, which is around 750 rpm. The Memory clock speed might be a bit low for some users, but I think it's fine (mine is around 950 MHz), as the graphics speed tests I posted are at the top of the values I've seen for Vega 64s, so why push it? (Lapseart had 600 rpm as idle speed; mine again is around 750 rpm.) BTW, my LuxMark v3.1 speeds were around 30,000 with Vega 64 alone and 36,000 when the CPU was added to the Vega 64.

The SSDT files were created automatically by USBMap. I'd noticed some things seemingly off (I want to use the word 'alignment' but it's difficult to describe now after so many iterations the set up has been through), but all seemed better in IORegistry Explorer after installing those SSDTs.

Do you have any ideas why the PCI registry sites don't match up with the physical sites (like the Vega 64 being in slot 1, but showing up as in slot 3)?

Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone having issues with Auto Unlock with Apple Watch? I'm using a BCM94360CS2 card and everything is working, including handoff and continuity, but unlock with Apple Watch still prompts for password after wake from sleep. If I click "cancel" at the login screen and try again, it works, meaning that hardware wise things are fine and there is a software glitch occurring right after sleep.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I've tried the basics - deleted bluetooth and wifi preferences, restarted everything (iPhone, watch and hack), and logged out and back into iCloud.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE-F4
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
If you have 3TB, 4TB, 6TB, and 10TB hard drives in the system, are they all connected to the internal SATA ports?
  • If you have an NVMe PCIe SSD in the upper M2M slot, then you cannot use SATA ports 4 and 5.
  • If you have an NVMe PCIe SSD in the lower M2P slot, then you cannot use SATA port 0.
  • If you have an NVMe SATA SSD in the lower M2P slot, then you cannot use SATA port 1.
View attachment 393086
Thanks for that info, it’ll come in handy later however I don’t yet have any m2 drives connected, they’re all SATA so I’m unsure as to why they aren’t showing up. I remember when 6tb drives first showed up some settings on windows computers needed to be updated to make the bigger drives visible. I think I had some bad sata cables, all the drives are showing up now.

I think I still have a few issues to deal with, the computer doesn’t always wake up from sleep might just have a black screen and also at times the computer freezes more often when its put under a bit of pressure so I then have to hold the off button to restart it. I’m wondering if that could have anything todo with my 550w psu. I have plans to change it soon but wanted to hold off until next month. However it could be something else as still have the issues after sleep... its not every time but maybe half the time

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Good idea! I'll add those little contraptions to the Components section.
@CaseySJ , I have installed the BCM94360CS2

using this card

into the uppper PCIe X1 slot (closest to CPU)

The BT works out of the box (even in BIOS!!). However I'm unable to turn on WiFi. The WiFi widget showed up , but it does not react when I choose "Turn Wi-Fi On" . Tried in settings too.

I have not tried moving this card around yet, but thought of asking first if I'm missing anything or need to apply any patches/kexts. I noticed commonly hackintoshers experience BT issues for the most part rather than WiFI.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Do you have any ideas why the PCI registry sites don't match up with the physical sites (like the Vega 64 being in slot 1, but showing up as in slot 3)?
This is still a puzzle. I haven't looked into the reasons why this seeming discrepancy occurs for only certain devices. What if it's not a discrepancy? Have you tried using the outwardly wrong addresses anyway?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Xtreme Waterforce
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone having issues with Auto Unlock with Apple Watch? I'm using a BCM94360CS2 card and everything is working, including handoff and continuity, but unlock with Apple Watch still prompts for password after wake from sleep. If I click "cancel" at the login screen and try again, it works, meaning that hardware wise things are fine and there is a software glitch occurring right after sleep.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I've tried the basics - deleted bluetooth and wifi preferences, restarted everything (iPhone, watch and hack), and logged out and back into iCloud.
Have you tried running EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in the Clover "drivers64UEFI" folder? That helped for me with various iCloud, FaceTime issues.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS

I had some issues last weekend while experimenting with the Fenvi WiFi/BT card. I was able solve my particular problem by:
  • Unchecking "Use Apple Watch to Unlock this Mac" in Preferences --> Security & Privacy
  • Rebooting Apple watch and waiting for it to come back on
  • Turning Bluetooth off and then on again on the Hackintosh
  • Turning WiFi off and then on again on the Hackintosh
  • Checking-on "Use Apple Watch to Unlock this Mac" in Preferences --> Security & Privacy
You may have a different problem -- particularly if your Mac is not logged into the same iCloud account as the Apple Watch. In other words, the iPhone that you use to manage the Apple Watch must be logged into the same iCloud account as the Hackintosh.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
into the uppper PCIe X1 slot (closest to CPU)

The BT works out of the box (even in BIOS!!). However I'm unable to turn on WiFi. The WiFi widget showed up , but it does not react when I choose "Turn Wi-Fi On" . Tried in settings too.

I have not tried moving this card around yet, but thought of asking first if I'm missing anything or need to apply any patches/kexts. I noticed commonly hackintoshers experience BT issues for the most part rather than WiFI.
I had some of these same issues but once I placed the Broadcom card (below) into a larger PCIe X4 or X8 slot and had a proper USB connection to the Broadcom card, all worked. I needed no special KEXT or patches for Wifi/BT. I did turn off HS14 to inactivate the mobo Wifi/BT.

But... I did try the card you're using, and it didn't give me Wifi either. I then went with the OXSWiFi board (here) and it worked for both Wifi/BT---just make sure you get the USB connection correct as it is not a keyed plug. (I bought various pieces of Wifi/BT parts, and none worked until I went with the OXSWiFi board with integral Broadcom board.)

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is still a puzzle. I haven't looked into the reasons why this seeming discrepancy occurs for only certain devices. What if it's not a discrepancy? Have you tried using the outwardly wrong addresses anyway?
Yes, I initially tried this (and repeated the tests). In the Clover Arbitrary section, if I put the Vega at 01:00.00 and the Broadcom at 03:00.0 (which is the location described in the mobo manual at PCIe X4), the Vega description is not used and my graphics card now says it's a Broadcom device. Ha.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I think I still have a few issues to deal with, the computer doesn’t always wake up from sleep might just have a black screen and also at times the computer freezes more often when its put under a bit of pressure so I then have to hold the off button to restart it. I’m wondering if that could have anything todo with my 550w psu. I have plans to change it soon but wanted to hold off until next month. However it could be something else as still have the issues after sleep... its not every time but maybe half the time
Wake from Sleep
I have removed "darkwake=0" from my own system. I don't mind pressing 2 keys to wake-from-sleep. I made this change several weeks ago and I think this may be more reliable. Sleep and Wake have been working flawlessly for weeks.

Also, in System Preferences --> Energy Saver, disable "Wake for network access" and "Enable Power Nap". (Although I haven not personally encountered any issues with "Power Nap" enabled.)

Also delete your com.apple.PowerManagement.* preferences files as described here.

Freeze Issues
The i9-9900K and the Vega are power hungry devices under load. Even though your freeze issues might stem from other sources, it is nevertheless a good idea to check and upgrade your power supply. I would recommend using a simple Kill-a-Watt meter to monitor wattage under load. If you have sustained consumption at or above 500W, it's time for a beefier power supply.

Last edited: