CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
into the uppper PCIe X1 slot (closest to CPU)

The BT works out of the box (even in BIOS!!). However I'm unable to turn on WiFi. The WiFi widget showed up , but it does not react when I choose "Turn Wi-Fi On" . Tried in settings too.

I have not tried moving this card around yet, but thought of asking first if I'm missing anything or need to apply any patches/kexts. I noticed commonly hackintoshers experience BT issues for the most part rather than WiFI.
I had some of these same issues but once I placed the Broadcom card (below) into a larger PCIe X4 or X8 slot and had a proper USB connection to the Broadcom card, all worked. I needed no special KEXT or patches for Wifi/BT. I did turn off HS14 to inactivate the mobo Wifi/BT.

But... I did try the card you're using, and it didn't give me Wifi either. I then went with the OXSWiFi board (here) and it worked for both Wifi/BT---just make sure you get the USB connection correct as it is not a keyed plug. (I bought various pieces of Wifi/BT parts, and none worked until I went with the OXSWiFi board with integral Broadcom board.)

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is still a puzzle. I haven't looked into the reasons why this seeming discrepancy occurs for only certain devices. What if it's not a discrepancy? Have you tried using the outwardly wrong addresses anyway?
Yes, I initially tried this (and repeated the tests). In the Clover Arbitrary section, if I put the Vega at 01:00.00 and the Broadcom at 03:00.0 (which is the location described in the mobo manual at PCIe X4), the Vega description is not used and my graphics card now says it's a Broadcom device. Ha.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I think I still have a few issues to deal with, the computer doesn’t always wake up from sleep might just have a black screen and also at times the computer freezes more often when its put under a bit of pressure so I then have to hold the off button to restart it. I’m wondering if that could have anything todo with my 550w psu. I have plans to change it soon but wanted to hold off until next month. However it could be something else as still have the issues after sleep... its not every time but maybe half the time
Wake from Sleep
I have removed "darkwake=0" from my own system. I don't mind pressing 2 keys to wake-from-sleep. I made this change several weeks ago and I think this may be more reliable. Sleep and Wake have been working flawlessly for weeks.

Also, in System Preferences --> Energy Saver, disable "Wake for network access" and "Enable Power Nap". (Although I haven not personally encountered any issues with "Power Nap" enabled.)

Also delete your com.apple.PowerManagement.* preferences files as described here.

Freeze Issues
The i9-9900K and the Vega are power hungry devices under load. Even though your freeze issues might stem from other sources, it is nevertheless a good idea to check and upgrade your power supply. I would recommend using a simple Kill-a-Watt meter to monitor wattage under load. If you have sustained consumption at or above 500W, it's time for a beefier power supply.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Freeze Issues
The i9-9900K and the Vega are power hungry devices under load. Even though your freeze issues might stem from other sources, it is nevertheless a good idea to check and upgrade your power supply. I would recommend using a simple Kill-a-Watt meter to monitor wattage under load. If you have sustained consumption at or above 500W, it's time for a beefier power supply.
CaseySJ, I'd agree with your recommendations.

I'm using an EVGA 850W Titanium PS with my i9-9900K and Vega 64 and have no problems with freezes, etc. When I do testing on the Vega, its power requirements frequently shoot up to 550W by itself. So I think a 750W PS might be minimum for the whole computer, when using a 9900K along with a Vega 64, considering other PS demands.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
The BT works out of the box (even in BIOS!!). However I'm unable to turn on WiFi. The WiFi widget showed up , but it does not react when I choose "Turn Wi-Fi On" . Tried in settings too.
To quote The Princess Bride, "Inconceivable!" :)

Here are a number of suggestions:
  • Install card into a long slot (the bottom one; farthest from the CPU). Does WiFi work?
  • The Broadcom card uses a Mini PCIe connector. When you install this tiny card into the Mini PCIe slot on the x1 Adapter, jiggle it a little bit to make sure it's secure.
  • Use a magnifying glass to carefully connect the two Mhf4 antennas from the Adapter to the Broadcom.
  • Examine the Broadcom and the Adapter for any signs of damage (scratches on stickers, partially corroded pins, etc.). Use the magnifying glass once again.
  • Also post a screenshot of the Bluetooth and WiFi configuration pages as shown below. You may black-out any sensitive information from those screenshots.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 8.50.56 AM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sapphire Vega 64 reference
I used your first discription Vega Fan and Crash.
I was supprised, that the memory got full without a game playing!

Another question!
I want to change the fan of the vega do I have to delete all entries of vega? Than I am using normal fans.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-15 um 16.42.52.png

What is the make and model of your Vega 64?

Have you tried the two different Vega fan and power solutions in the build guide?
Also please take a careful look at @rj510's post directly above, in particular this paragraph:

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sapphire Vega 64 reference
I used your first discription Vega Fan and Crash.
I was supprised, that the memory got full without a game playing!

Another question!
I want to change the fan of the vega do I have to delete all entries of vega? Than I am using normal fans.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-15 um 16.42.52.png
  • You can revert to standard fan and power curves by removing all of the Clover properties for Vega.
  • But if you want to create your own custom fan and power settings, then please follow @jaymonkey's guide here.

Motherboard
GA Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I had some of these same issues but once I placed the Broadcom card (below) into a larger PCIe X4 or X8 slot and had a proper USB connection to the Broadcom card, all worked. I needed no special KEXT or patches for Wifi/BT. I did turn off HS14 to inactivate the mobo Wifi/BT.

But... I did try the card you're using, and it didn't give me Wifi either. I then went with the OXSWiFi board (here) and it worked for both Wifi/BT---just make sure you get the USB connection correct as it is not a keyed plug. (I bought various pieces of Wifi/BT parts, and none worked until I went with the OXSWiFi board with integral Broadcom board.)
Thanks a lot @rj510 , yesterday after seeing your initial post I was also tempted to return and get yours immediately, but I guess the next proper step could be to try putting it into x4 slots. I was just hoping to avoid occupying these lanes unnecessary.

Motherboard
GA Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS

Thanks @CaseySJ , have not moved the card yet but thought of posting Wifi 'readings'. Showing en3 device. Do you think this may matter? I know the wired ones should start from en0 and I even had to delete and recreate that plist to reset those numbers (from the old install). Should it be something like en2 in this case?

Software Versions:
CoreWLAN: 13.0 (1350.2)
CoreWLANKit: 13.0 (1350.2)
Menu Extra: 13.0 (1370.4)
System Information: 12.0 (1300.1)
IO80211 Family: 12.0 (1200.12.2)
Diagnostics: 1.0 (805)
AirPort Utility: 6.3.8 (638.9)
Interfaces:
en3:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x117)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37.31.1a9)
MAC Address: th:is:is:my:ma:ca:dd:re:ss
Locale: RoW
Country Code: X2
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported
AirDrop Channel: 0
Auto Unlock: Supported

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks @CaseySJ , have not moved the card yet but thought of posting Wifi 'readings'. Showing en3 device. Do you think this may matter? I know the wired ones should start from en0 and I even had to delete and recreate that plist to reset those numbers (from the old install). Should it be something like en2 in this case?
The en[x] port number does not matter. As long as you have en0 for FaceTime and Messages, the rest of the network ports can assume any number.

However, your Locale and Country Code are:

Locale: RoW
Country Code: X2

In the US, radio frequencies are regulated by the FCC, hence our Locale is FCC (and our Country Code is US). I am not familiar with RoW or X2.

Which country are you in?

Is your Router broadcasting a country code? If you login to the Router admin page, is there any information regarding country code?

See what happens if you move the card to a long slot...

Finally, you can also try this:
  • Option-click the WiFi symbol on the menu bar
  • Select Open Wireless Diagnostics...
    Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 10.15.26 AM.png
  • Follow the wizard and let it generate a report. If it finds a Country Code Conflict, it will inform you.