Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You're a genius. Yes, that worked and I got booted into Mojave but I have my Nitro 5700 XT in the case, and man, the card was FREAKING out. I'm surprised it booted with the card at all. I have my Vega 56 too I can switch back to if needed.

To answer your questions, I did not make a backup. I have not unlocked the MSR yet because in the process of getting the USB ready I deleted the EFI on my M.2. I don't think I removed the kexts in extensions yet. And yes, I used Bbedit to copy the SMBIOS and the RtVariables section to the new plist file you provided in the guide.

Whats the best way to go from here?
Make a backup first, of course!

But if the ship has already sailed, then start by unlocking MSR 0xE2 (click here). Then continue following the Mojave-to-Catalina upgrade guide.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ Regarding FileVault, at the moment it's turned-off on my hackintosh.

- Is it safe to enable it? Besides a back-up, should I take other precautions?
- Do I need to introduce a new Kext to my hackintosh?
- Does it do anything to my boot-process? E.g., extra password to enter like if you would enter a protected BIOS? If that would be the case, I don't even want to do this.

Thanks again :mrgreen:
I have not used FileVault so I have to defer the question to others. FileVault is supported on Hackintosh, but it may require some specific EFI drivers and kexts. Have you searched this forum for FileVault setup on Z390 systems?

Motherboard
GA Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So am I still the only one that has ran into this issue? I know I can still boot to Win 10 with BIOS boot option. But it really irks me when I can’t figure something out or know why something is happening.

I had same issue. Use this:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Rebuild the kernel cache by running Kext Utility. Wait until the button on lower right of the window changes to Quit.

@CaseySJ where can I find the Kext Utility you mention here? I don't remember using that before.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
The GPU should definitely show up in BIOS first. If it's not present in BIOS then something is wrong with the hardware, the cables, the connections, the PCI power supply, etc. @zzmadd is post 20,033 above reported a bad power supply, so that might be one of the first things to check...

i tried around some more. So there’s nothing that indicates that the gpu is powered on...
I took a cable that runs from psu to motherboard and plugged it into gpu instead and plugged the gpu one into the motherboard. Motherboard continued working, gpu still nothing.
Is it safe to say the gpu is dead?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ where can I find the Kext Utility you mention here? I don't remember using that before.
I think it's been removed from its normal location. Please type this instead of running that utility: sudo kextcache -i /

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i tried around some more. So there’s nothing that indicates that the gpu is powered on...
I took a cable that runs from psu to motherboard and plugged it into gpu instead and plugged the gpu one into the motherboard. Motherboard continued working, gpu still nothing.
Is it safe to say the gpu is dead?
We should not remove the power cable from ATX_12V_2X4. That cable is required. Your PSU should have multiple "VGA" ports and cables. Please try different VGA power cables and different VGA power ports.

What is the make/model of your PSU?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
We should not remove the power cable from ATX_12V_2X4. That cable is required. Your PSU should have multiple "VGA" ports and cables. Please try different VGA power cables and different VGA power ports.

What is the make/model of your PSU?

psu is Corsair RM750x
oh, i didn't remove the power cable from atx_12v_2x4. i just plugged the end of that cable that's in the psu into a different port in the psu. i know the one going from psu to motherboard is working, so if i use that port from the psu to the gpu i know the gpu should get power... or am i thinking wrong?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
psu is Corsair RM750x
oh, i didn't remove the power cable from atx_12v_2x4. i just plugged the end of that cable that's in the psu into a different port in the psu. i know the one going from psu to motherboard is working, so if i use that port from the psu to the gpu i know the gpu should get power... or am i thinking wrong?
Alright, that makes sense. Have you tried moving the GPU to another PCIe slot?