Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
What’s the best option if I have 2x Radeon VII ‘s in slot 1 & 2? Should I forget the SSDT?

Also is this compatible with OS X 10.14.6?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
What’s the best option if I have 2x Radeon VII ‘s in slot 1 & 2? Should I forget the SSDT?

I believe someone else asked the same question a few pages back. The answer was to install SSDT for each GPU/Slot, so install SSDT for slot 1 and SSDT for slot 2.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Please remove the micro-guide from your post:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 12.10.53 PM.png

Motherboard
Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Sapphire RX Vega64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
@CaseySJ Thanks so much for the Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for the ASRock Z390 ITX => https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2092146

Thanks to the work done by you, @Elias64Fr and @mango1122 (along with many others), I was able to flash the patched TB3 firmware and get native/local Thunderbolt activated.

Cold-Plug, Hot-plug etc all work fine and really well. However, I lose TB3 connectivity after sleep/wake :( Sleep/Wake itself seems to work but TB3 doesn't until I reboot again.

From what you've seen, is this an issue with USB or TB3 SSDT (I'm using the one you attached in the guide with the DROM bytes changed) or could it be that my TB3 flash somehow wasn't as perfect as I thought it was? I'm happy to attach all the relevant files if that helps but figured I'd ask you first if you knew which direction I should go digging.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I can't believe that the new Z490 AORUS XTREME is the only one in GB's lineup with built-in Thunderbolt!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
• My UAD Apollo 8 used to run great on the old build, hotplug the works.. however having re-read a few posts and seeing what @smashdownbabylon had mentioned about the audio I realised although I'd been running a stable unit I wasn't getting the full systems potential. Also after updating the EFI I don't have hotplug anymore and it seems like TB is having a few errors in loading up/being recognised by the UAD software.. which in turn doesn't help with loading my USB Softube Console 1 controllers as they want to 'see' the UAD Apollo switched on to work in UAD Console software. I can get them to work - just not instantaneous when the machine switches on as before.
However the Console 1 Faders can eat a lot of USB power - maybe I need to send them more, but unsure of the best method?

I don't understand why there is a need to have the hotplug with sound cards.
I am a professional music producer, and I never and I say never used sleep or hotplug.
Especially with a hackintosh ...
Software like Protools doesn't like it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can't believe that the new Z490 AORUS XTREME is the only one in GB's lineup with built-in Thunderbolt!

It isn't, eg the Vision D, the new Designare, has thunderbolt.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Ahhh... I see the problem. The Vision D is currently not up on GB's USA site.

Thanks @Ploddles

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't understand why there is a need to have the hotplug with sound cards.
I am a professional music producer, and I never and I say never used sleep or hotplug.
Especially with a hackintosh ...
Software like Protools doesn't like it.

I don't get it either. For Pro Tools sleep should be turned off according to Avid, and Cubase turns sleep of by itself, just the screen will sleep.
Hot swapping an interface is just weird. Like switching a hardware analog mixer on half way in the recording session.

On the other hand, I will sometimes walk away or get distracted for a while, and if sleep would work properly even with a DAW running, this would lower the electricity bill somewhat.

Cubase/ULN-8/PSI-17m's with a serious project loaded: 270W. My desk with Hack sleeping: 19W.