Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ New Mainboards are basically same stuff we already have. I think I withhold and wait for DDR5 to make an appearance. Not as excited, as I thought I'd be. Think next projects going to be an mITX, something space-saving.
Agree with you on both points actually:
  • New boards are not compelling for Coffee Lake owners. But new users do get a good deal:
    • Hyper-threading across the board.
    • New i7 CPUs with 8 cores / 16 threads (as old i9-9900).
    • New i9 CPUs with 10 cores / 20 threads.
    • Additional headers on board, 3 NVMe slots, faster WiFi/BT (hopefully experimental Intel drivers will get better soon).
  • I've been thinking of building a Z490 ITX system in an NZXT H1...

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't want to encourage mischievous behaviour, but if I were you, I'd return the bad board :twisted:

That is basically THEFT/FRAUD. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want anybody stealing from or defrauding you. :(

Motherboard
Aorus Xtreme Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Agree with you on both points actually:
  • New boards are not compelling for Coffee Lake owners. But new users do get a good deal:
    • Hyper-threading across the board.
    • New i7 CPUs with 8 cores / 16 threads (as old i9-9900).
    • New i9 CPUs with 10 cores / 20 threads.
    • Additional headers on board, 3 NVMe slots, faster WiFi/BT (hopefully experimental Intel drivers will get better soon).
  • I've been thinking of building a Z490 ITX system in an NZXT H1...

Have most of that stuff already (perks of going high-end :lol: ) and remember there was a rumor that Rocket Lake will go down to 8C/16T again.

I thought of the 'new' Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE, but I'm always going for the E-ATX, so it's kinda hard to realise.

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Fixed an error in that post. The property name should be AAPL,model instead of just 'model'.

ok:)...It seems like model is fine...So them my input in device
properties should be correct...do you have any other idea perhaps?

Edit: Video Proc doesnt support AMD HW Acceleration at the moment...So not a problem, a missing feature...Was stated here:
Video Proc no AMD support at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Motherboard
GigaByte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega FE Liquid
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@SuDoDmz , @CaseySJ
Thanks for the quick replies earlier and have split some wires this afternoon.. all ready, just..

Am I right in thinking with step 6 below I'll flash the firmware with it's own 'backup' file created?
Or is there a specific firmware I need to download?

Step 6: Program the Modified Firmware into SPI Flash ROM
  • Finally we are ready to program the chip with the modified firmware.
  • Locate the firmware file and use the following command:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w Name_Of_Modified_Firmware.bin

Also, will Radeon v1-4+Vega kext be okay with a 16gb card as there is only 8gb mentioned in the aml file?

TIA

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
I don't want to encourage mischievous behaviour, but if I were you, I'd return the bad board :twisted:
Please don't do that. You knew the risks. The damage, though unintentional, is not covered by warranty. Returning it would be a willful act of fraud.

Have it soldered by your friend and see what happens.
I'm with @CaseySJ on this one ... I knew the risks and caused the damage to my board myself. I take responsibility (mine and others') quite seriously and won't let someone else pay for the consequences of my own actions.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
@SuDoDmz , @CaseySJ
Thanks for the quick replies earlier and have split some wires this afternoon.. all ready, just..

Am I right in thinking with step 6 below I'll flash the firmware with it's own 'backup' file created?
Or is there a specific firmware I need to download?

Step 6: Program the Modified Firmware into SPI Flash ROM
  • Finally we are ready to program the chip with the modified firmware.
  • Locate the firmware file and use the following command:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w Name_Of_Modified_Firmware.bin

Also, will Radeon v1-4+Vega kext be okay with a 16gb card as there is only 8gb mentioned in the aml file?

TIA
Hello @ziggenpuss, don't flash the backup of the original firmware. But do keep that backup if you ever need to revert to the original firmware. Hope you don't have to.

You can find the right modified firmware in Casey's repository here.

A 16GB card with that SSDT file should be fine.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
Thank you @iRamon - makes more sense now..
huge thread to keep trawling through, though utterly appreciated. :clap:
You're welcome. Glad it makes more sense.

And when in doubt while flashing your Thunderbolt chip, just ask here before making a potential mistake ... I learned the hard way.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900KS // Intel Xeon W-3223
Graphics
MSI MECH OC AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT + Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 // AMD Radeon Pro 580X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @digimax,

Glad to hear the update went well. Regarding the MSI RX 5700 XT, it would be nice to determine whether the credit belongs to 10.15.4 or to Clover v5114 or to the combination of the two! Nevertheless, it's good to know that at least the combination works properly. Will update the Catalina Mini-Guide accordingly.

Hey Casey,

I just wanted to add some additional information I confirmed after I did some hardware changes yesterday. It can be a pretty finicky method but it seems to work consistently for me.

In order to get this GPU (MSI 5700XT) to work after either unplugging it/plugging it back in, if you are on a freshly installed MacOS, or are just adding this GPU to your current setup for the first time etc, do the following steps:

1) Boot into MacOS with ONLY an HDMI cable attached to the MSI 5700XT.

2) Once logged in, and you confirm that you are getting video output from the HDMI, begin plugging in the displayports one by one. The screens should start working with the displayports now.

Note: I am running with 3 monitors attached and occasionally when performing this step, 1 of the 3 displayports sometimes will not output video. In order to fix this, I found these steps seems to work:
2.A. rebooting with all the currently working displays still connected
2.B. Once logged in reconnect the inoperative display.
2.C. If this does not work try tinkering with removing cables/reattaching/swapping them while logged in, eventually all of them should work.

3) Remember that anytime you work on your computer and have to remove this GPU, you will have to re-perform these steps. So once your setup is working I recommend not touching anything.

Tested on:
-Clover Version: R5114 & R5115
-MacOS Version: Catalina 10.15.3 & 10.15.4
-GPU PCIe Slot: Slot 1 & Slot 2
-GPU Model: MSI MECH 5700XT OC