Intel i9-9900K
Graphics
AMD Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

How I can update to Catalina from Mojave 10.14.6? I followed the links of beginning of post but my hackintosh stuck on Apple logo without bar.

Thanks and greetings!

Motherboard
GA-Z390-Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 590
Hi,

How I can update to Catalina from mojave 10.14.6? I followed the links of beginning of post but my hackintosh stuck on apple logo without bar.

Thanks and greetings!
try booting in verbose mode and see where the boot stalls.
verbose boot: at the clover screen, use the arrow keys to select your boot drive and then press the space bar. next, use arrow keys to move to Verbose Boot and use the enter key to put a checkmark there. then arrow back up to Boot with selected options and press Return.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oh that's unfortunate. What was it that Sherlock Holmes would say..."When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

If the CPU is the only thing left unchanged, then...

But before jumping to that (which is a very expensive proposition), please try this:
  • Remove the internal macOS SSD.
  • Remove the AMD GPU.
  • Disconnect all USB devices except keyboard and mouse.
    • Which keyboard and mouse are you using? At this point I can't even dismiss the keyboard and mouse!
  • Disconnect all Thunderbolt devices.
  • Disconnect all Windows drives.
  • Connect a spare SATA SSD.
  • Follow the Catalina 10.15.4 guide (including unlocking NVRAM) very carefully. One little deviation could spell doom.
    • Follow the sections for Internal GPU (iGPU). Ensure iGPU is enabled and Initial Display Output is set to IGFX.
    • Connect monitor to rear Thunderbolt port (if you have USB-C to DisplayPort cable) or HDMI port.
    • After Catalina 10.15.4 is installed, check for stability.
Thanks, going to try a few more things here, and then that, and if that doesn't work , then I guess I'll try swapping the CPU. I suppose I could RMA it and then figure something out while it's gone for 2 months or whatever....

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, going to try a few more things here, and then that, and if that doesn't work , then I guess I'll try swapping the CPU. I suppose I could RMA it and then figure something out while it's gone for 2 months or whatever....
Have you applied thermal paste properly -- a pea-sized amount in the center of the die? Do CPU temperatures fluctuate wildly or stay well in the safe zone?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** Micro-Guide for Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer **
Please do not quote this micro-guide in its entirely. Post a link instead.

6-Apr-2020: Reports of System Crashes with 10.15.4 Especially During Large File I/O
9-Apr-2020: Do not use Clover 5109​

1. Create a full backup of Mojave first.
    • Yes you must do this. Catalina 10.15.4 is tricky.
    • It may become necessary to restore from backup.
  2. Follow the Micro Guide here to unlock MSR 0xE2. This is necessary.
  3. Boot into Mojave and delete all of the following kexts from /Library/Extensions if they exist:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 4.59.26 PM.png
  4. Empty the trash.
  5. Rebuild the kernel cache by running Kext Utility. Wait until the button on lower right of the window changes to Quit.
  6. Find a spare USB flash disk.
  7. Format the USB disk in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Boot Test
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  8. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  9. Follow Step 1 of the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide except for the 3rd bullet (3rd bullet copies macOS installer to the USB disk, which we don't want).
    • Download Clover 5107 or 5108 from the link in the Mini-Guide and follow instructions located there to install Clover to the USB flash disk.
    • This will create an EFI folder inside the EFI partition.
  10. Delete any kexts and drivers that might exist in the new CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and in the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.
    • Empty the trash.
  11. Download ZIP file from the same Catalina Mini-Guide called Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip. Do not use the newer May 2020 Update - Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip because it will prevent the system from booting. You will find 2 config files there:
    • config-Internal-GPU.plist
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist
  12. If you have an AMD GPU, copy your existing RtVariables and SMBIOS sections (only these two sections) from the Mojave config.plist into config-AMD-GPU.plist. Use a text editor like BBEdit or a Plist Editor such as ProperTree to copy those two sections.
    • Rename config-AMD-GPU.plist --> to --> config.plist
  13. If you only have the Intel iGPU, copy your existing RtVariables and SMBIOS sections (only these two sections) from the Mojave config.plist into config-Internal-GPU.plist. Use a text editor like BBEdit or a Plist Editor such as ProperTree to copy those two sections.
    • Rename config-Internal-GPU.plist --> to --> config.plist
  14. Follow remaining instructions in Step 1 of Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide for copying drivers, kexts, and ACPI files from the ZIP to the new CLOVER folder.
  15. Boot from the USB flash disk by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen and choosing the USB disk.
  16. At Clover Boot Menu, select the normal option to boot into macOS Mojave.
  17. Now attempt an in-place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 from System Preferences --> Software Update.
  18. Each time the system reboots during installation, press F12 at BIOS splash screen and choose the USB disk.
    • This is critical.
    • Please remember it.
  19. At Clover Boot Menu whenever you find a boot option with the word "Install", select that option.
    • For example: Boot macOS Install from <name of Mojave disk>
Post-Installation:
  • As stated in the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide, copy EFI folder from USB flash disk to EFI partition of the internal Mojave SSD (which has now been upgraded to Catalina).
    • Delete the old EFI folder first and empty the trash.
  • If the name of your internal macOS SSD contains the word Mojave, you might want to rename it to Catalina.
    • But use Disk Utility to rename the disk.
    • This is because Catalina separates the System Folder and the User Folder into two separate logical volumes:
      • System Volume
      • User Volume -- this one is automatically given the suffix "- data"
    • Rename the disk as follows:
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.15.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.16.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.16.26 PM.png

Miscellaneous:

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have you applied thermal paste properly -- a pea-sized amount in the center of the die? Do CPU temperatures fluctuate wildly or stay well in the safe zone?

Yes, it's all good. Using a Nocuta heatsink, etc. Temps seem fine under load. I notice that when the freezing occurs, my graphics fans speed up though. I can't monitor the temps on this GPU though. It def seems to be graphics related. The few crash reports I've managed to see after rebooting reference a graphics issue.

z4k

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks for your reply. I’ve tried pretty much everything up to now. over the weekend I swapped out the power supply for a new one, some issues.

I hope you find Hackintosh peace with your new MoBo man. It’s hell working on an unstable system, we’ve all been there. I actually have a friend on a Windows10 system going through the exact same problem with you. We’ve narrowed down the problem to the CPU/MoBo in his case as well. Let us know how your new board turns out!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, it's all good. Using a Nocuta heatsink etc, temps seem fine under load. I notice that when the freezing occurs, my graphics fans speed up though. I can't monitor the temps on this GPU though. It def seems to be graphics related. The few crash reports I've managed to see after rebooting reference a graphics issue.
If you suspect it's related to the AMD GPU, just remove the GPU and use on-board graphics.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Raedon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I rebooted after a power kick. My Cover options disappeared, Boot Mojave is no longer there. SSD is showing in BIOS