Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi @Casey, wondering if you might know a fix for this problem. When I share a video from the photos app I see a pie shaped progress indicator in the toolbar of the photos app. The VTEncoderXPCService process runs during this time and CPU activity is ~600%. To share one 60 second video takes longer than 60 seconds. I know it's converting it or downscaling it, but that seems extremely slow for such a well specced machine. Is this supposed to be offloaded to my 5700 XT or can you think of anything that might not be optimized for this process?

Motherboard
PRIME-X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-9900x
Graphics
Vega 56
@CaseySJ, I use your GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
It may not be possible yet to perform a fresh installation of 10.15.4. For the time being I've made the following change to Catalina Mini-Guide:

View attachment 457572
So some interesting news to report...

TL;DR

- Good news...I was able to to a fresh install of 10.15.4 using native NVRAM / No errors / Perfect!

I can go into more detail here but the net of it was making sure to do the install with native NVRAM enabled straight away using @CaseySJ mini-guide for Catalina but building in native NVRAM support right from the start on the USB drive as he outlines for post-install.

- Bad news...this will take a little more to explain...

I started adding applications and download my Photos library, sync’ing iMessages, etc. I probably worked for about an hour. I walked away and when I came back my three monitors had all the same information up but everything was frozen except the mouse. Nothing I could do to get anything to happen but yet disk activity was significant.

I rebooted, checked APFS and did the same. This time I put up Activity Monitor and took a snapshot of the time as soon as I stopped doing anything on the system. In about 6’ish minutes things locked up again, mouse movement only and disk activity due to downloading 50+ GB of photos must have been proceeding. The process that looked like the culprit...

mediaanalysisd

So I did this a few more times to make sure it was that and it was. I’m not sure if this is the actual issue that is referenced in @CaseySJ guide that effects RX 5700 (XT) owners, but it is what’s causing the issue in this case (and I’m using a Vega 64 to drive all three of the monitors). Interestingly “photolibraryd” and “com.apple.photos.ImageConversionService” (as I’m looking at Activity Monitor right now) are using 10% and 50% of my CPU and they cause no issues. It seems “mediaanalysisd” only runs after some reasonable period of no activity and that’s where the problem occurs.

I should also note that I did not encounter this this issue on my clean 10.15.3 install...so I’m not sure what’s different.

I’m going to let the system run overnight and see if it can complete all the photos tasks even with the system frozen as it seems like it is still doing a significant amount of processing. I’ll report back in the Morning (it’s 9:27pm here in PDT right now). Worst case I’ll do a fresh install of 10.15.3 and wait for a fix or workaround as disabling that service isn’t an option for my as I use Photos a lot.

I’m open to any suggestions!

Lam

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Hello everyone, I'm having a minor issue: I keep losing Bluetooth when upgrading from USB-inject-all 0.7.3 to 0.7.5. Rolling back to 0.7.3 fixes the issue. But this seems weird. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64 + eGPU: 2 x RX 580
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
You beauty mate! Bonza!

Thankyou @CaseySJ, @Elias64Fr and all the others that have made this a reality!

After updating my onboard TB3 EEPROM it appears that everything is working, but still need to do further testing.
I have Razer Core X eGPU, OCW TB3 10Gbe and Caldigit TX3 Plus dock all working and sidecar on my iPad Pro.

I followed @CaseySJ excellent guide *** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Designare Z390 ***

I found an easier way to burn the EEPROM image which I have let @CasseySJ know in a PM so he can see if he can replicate it and if so release the procedure on this thread. I don't want anyone damaging their Designare as I did to my old board, an AU$512.00 mistake.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will see if the TB3 to TB3 network will work with this hack and my 2019 MacBook Pro (or as I call it my lap warmer!). also may try the TR in the last slot.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.41.54 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.42.08 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.42.42 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 3.46.02 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.13.14 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.13.40 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.14.06 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.17.33 pm.jpg

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9
Graphics
Vega FE
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Both of you have the Vega Frontier Edition (FE) so let's combine the reply:
  • For most types of lockups and instability issues we should eventually perform a Process of Elimination. For the Vega FE that entails removal of the card (or disconnect both PCIe power cables if card is difficult to remove) and switching to on-board iGPU by setting. See this illustrated guide. In BIOS, Internal Graphics must be set to Enabled. Connect monitor to any or all of the 3 video ports on the rear IO panel (two Thunderbolt ports support DisplayPort with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable; one HDMI port). Reboot and check system stability, including sleep/wake behavior.
  • If you're using fast memory such as 3600 MHz, you may also try reducing its speed to either 2933 MHz or 2666 MHz as explained here.
  • Also try clearing NVRAM by pressing F11 at the Clover Boot Menu.
*****UPDATE*****
i got the restart sleep and shutdown fixed in 10.15.4 with native nvram enabled ,but how ever the sleep needs a bit of touch up work. here is the scenario the sleep is working but however upon from wake from sleep on the lg 4k monitor it wakes up but black but to show the "locked password" screen you must begin typing the first character in the beginning of the macs password that was set up by the user. i tried clicking multiple times to wake from sleep but no screen until pressing the first set of characters password that was set by the user. other than that the system seems so far stable. i have removed the sleep wake clover bug but this did not help either with the latest 5107 clover build. hopefully we can pull together and find a more stable fresh install for 10.15.4 the sleep worked better in 10.15.3 i don't know what was changed for sleep. i know apple time to time can change the darkwake to different set of numbers. a better guide to understanding what darkwake does for each build can be viewed here.

p.s to my conclusion i have found that the catalina fresh install 10.15.3 guide will not work with hdmi support on 10.15.4 i tried booting the hdmi from the z390 designare motherboard to the lg 4k and no signal was being picked up at all on 10.15.4. i disconnected the power source to the vega frontier edition cooled and was unsuccessful with the hdmi display intel 630 uhd. right now what is working is the amd graphics card hdmi or display port not the onboard hdmi in 10.15.4.

my ioreg shows the igu framebuffer in 10.15.4 but does not pick up signal upon boot.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey Guys i got some news and decided to share with the community, two days ago I decided to do a clean install of 10.15.4
Using the mini guide And I was finally successful when I stopped caring about the error codes , there are a two curve balls when using 10.15.4 , Assuming you have the time correctly set in your Bios , There are two errors that get thrown your way during installation (see attached images ) the installation throws an error with two minutes remaining , reboot and boot into the usb again to continue installation then when it finishes it will give you the second error regarding bless tool and choosing the right startup disk , reboot and boot from usb again and choose to boot Mac OS from your Mac OS partition if you named it Catalina as per the mini guide that is going to be the one , from that moment on everything goes smoothly and that is pretty much what I did , Thank you@CaseySJ all the kexts load correctly now , my only hesitation is regarding the the installation of RC scripts for use with EmuNvram vs native nvram

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
You beauty mate! Bonza!

Thankyou @CaseySJ, @Elias64Fr and all the others that have made this a reality!

After updating my onboard TB3 EEPROM it appears that everything is working, but still need to do further testing.
I have Razer Core X eGPU, OCW TB3 10Gbe and Caldigit TX3 Plus dock all working and sidecar on my iPad Pro.

I followed @CaseySJ excellent guide *** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Designare Z390 ***

I found an easier way to burn the EEPROM image which I have let @CasseySJ know in a PM so he can see if he can replicate it and if so release the procedure on this thread. I don't want anyone damaging their Designare as I did to my old board, an AU$512.00 mistake.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will see if the TB3 to TB3 network will work with this hack and my 2019 MacBook Pro (or as I call it my lap warmer!). also may try the TR in the last slot.

Congratulations! Once again I should say that a flashed internal (on-board) Titan Ridge controller seems to be functioning much better than any flashed add-in-card so far.
** Supplemental Procedure for Connecting External SPI Flasher to Designare Z390 **
Credit: @jb007

This worked like a charm! Here's the procedure I used:
  • Flip power switch OFF on the Designare power supply unit (PSU).
  • Remove power cable from Designare power supply unit (PSU).
  • Wait a few seconds for capacitors (residual charge) to discharge. (Keep power cable unplugged.)
  • Make sure Raspberry Pi is turned off.
  • Disconnect pin 8 (Vcc or power) from SOIC8 clip.
  • Connect SOIC8 clip to Thunderbolt chip so that it swallows the chip.
  • Turn on Raspberry Pi.
  • Open Terminal.
  • Run flashrom as shown below to read the chip -- it should not work, but it should partially detect the chip.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-1.bin
flashrom  on Linux 4.19.97-v7l+ (armv7l)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
===
This flash part has status NOT WORKING for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
please email a report to flashrom@flashrom.org if any of the above operations
work correctly for you with this flash chip. Please include the flashrom log
file for all operations you tested (see the man page for details), and mention
which mainboard or programmer you tested in the subject line.
Thanks for your help!
Read is not working on this chip. Aborting.
  • Now connect power cable to the Designare PSU.
  • Flip power switch on Designare power supply unit to ON. (Again, make sure pin 8 is disconnected.)
  • Run flashrom as shown below. It worked the first time.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-1.bin
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
Reading flash... done.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-2.bin
Reading flash... done.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-3.bin
Reading flash... done.
  • Make sure checksums match on all 3 read attempts.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ shasum *
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d  Designare-1.bin
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d  Designare-2.bin
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d  Designare-3.bin

Last edited: