i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok: I'll do it late this afternoon:
The TBEX3 has been on my desk since this morning and it is waiting for me to flash it, I did the voltage test with the CH341A, but I'm actually busy on a 3D model project.;)

Sweet! Sounds fun.

I wanted to share a few tips for anyone having trouble with the flasher connections. Specifically after a little wear and tear on the clip side.

Tip 1
Place the card and flasher on your desk. You'll need it in reaching distance from the keyboard.

Tip 2
With the flasher connected to the USB port and disconnected from the Winbond chip on your card, go ahead and open terminal and type in your command. Hit enter and enter your password. It will obviously fail, but at this point you've gained two things:

*You can press up to view the command again
*The green light on the USB portion of the flasher will now flash when it has a good connection
Tip 3
Over time the clip will wear down and won't stay on. Thats ok because using the tips above means you can watch for a good connection and carefully hold the clamp in place. If you slip mid way through just use the erase function and start over. If erase is failing then simple add -f at the end of your command. Sometimes I've had to just keep trying it until it did it's thing.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Stefan,

For devices connected directly to GC-Alpine Ridge:
  • Does this mean that USB 2.0 devices do not work?
  • But Thunderbolt devices work successfully on both Thunderbolt ports?
  • And USB 3.0 devices also work on both ports?
For devices connected to iStyle Multimedia Hub:
  • Again, USB 2.0 devices do not work?
  • But USB 3.0 devices work? Only with USB Type A ports?
  • But nothing works on USB-C ports on this hub?
    • According to the diagram you posted, this is a Power Delivery Charging Port.
    • If you connect the iStyle Hub to a real Mac, can you connect USB 2 or USB devices to the USB-C port?
View attachment 455762

• Does this mean that USB 2.0 devices do not work? True
  • But Thunderbolt devices work successfully on both Thunderbolt ports? True
  • And USB 3.0 devices also work on both ports? True
  • Again, USB 2.0 devices do not work? True
  • But USB 3.0 devices work? Only with USB Type A ports? True True
  • But nothing works on USB-C ports on this hub? True
    • According to the diagram you posted, this is a Power Delivery Charging Port. True and USB-C port
    • If you connect the iStyle Hub to a real Mac, can you connect USB 2 or USB devices? True all types all ports

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok: I'll do it late this afternoon:
The TBEX3 has been on my desk since this morning and it is waiting for me to flash it, I did the voltage test with the CH341A, but I'm actually busy on a 3D model project.;)
@Loloflatsix @NorthAmTransAm,

As soon as NVM26 for Asus Thunderbolt EX3 is ready, I'll add it to the Repository. I have this card as well, so I can also run some tests.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  • Does this mean that USB 2.0 devices do not work? True
  • But Thunderbolt devices work successfully on both Thunderbolt ports? True
  • And USB 3.0 devices also work on both ports? True
  • Again, USB 2.0 devices do not work? True
  • But USB 3.0 devices work? Only with USB Type A ports? True True
  • But nothing works on USB-C ports on this hub? True
    • According to the diagram you posted, this is a Power Delivery Charging Port. True and USB-C port
    • If you connect the iStyle Hub to a real Mac, can you connect USB 2 or USB devices? True all types all ports
Please post the Thunderbolt SSDT you're using.

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@S1lla @CaseySJ

Here is the patched NVM43 to be tested :) .. no secret

I've tested NVM43 (mod Elias64Fr) using GB-Titan Ridge PCIe card on X299 system (Mojave 10.14.6) under OpenCore. Using supplied SSDT (similar to SSDT for GB-Alpine Ridge), Port 7 populates, but USB (DSB2) does not: there are no SSP1/SSP2.

However, when using NVM23 (mod Elias64Fr) on same set-up (and same SSDT), Port 7 populates as does DSB2 with both SSP1 and SSP2 present.

I've flashed this back and forth with same results each time. It appears that the modified NVM23 is better than NVM43 (thanks Elias64Fr!).

One odd issue is that when an incorrect CRC-8 or CRC-32 is entered, the System logs do not show any errors using either Hackintool or the Terminal command log show --last boot | grep Thunderbolt > ~/Documents/TB3.txt. Nor, do I see either ThunderboltNHI or IOThunderboltFamily.

While I can easily calculate the proper CRC-8, I am unable to derive the correct CRC32_C checksum. Is this due to platform differences X299 vs Z390, or am I missing something else?

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Loloflatsix @NorthAmTransAm,

As soon as NVM26 for Asus Thunderbolt EX3 is ready, I'll add it to the Repository. I have this card as well, so I can also run some tests.

Here's nvm18 with the changes you mentioned. Basically, from 0x4000 until the Patches section has been replaced with the nvm18 native firmware. Give it a whirl.

If NVM26 comes in before you all get to it, I'll test first to save you some trouble.

Note: It's v6 because I've lost track of these things.

Attachments

• AlpineRidgeEX3-NVM18-v6 TEST.bin.zip
    295.7 KB · Views: 44
  • SSDT-TBOLT3-RP21-EX3-nvm18-ALPINE-RIDGE.aml
    2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've tested NVM43 (mod Elias64Fr) using GB-Titan Ridge PCIe card on X299 system (Mojave 10.14.6) under OpenCore. Using supplied SSDT (similar to SSDT for GB-Alpine Ridge), Port 7 populates, but USB (DSB2) does not: there are no SSP1/SSP2.

However, when using NVM23 (mod Elias64Fr) on same set-up (and same SSDT), Port 7 populates as does DSB2 with both SSP1 and SSP2 present.

I've flashed this back and forth with same results each time. It appears that the modified NVM23 is better than NVM43 (thanks Elias64Fr!).
This is the general consensus, namely modified NVM23 performs better than modified NVM43.
One odd issue is that when an incorrect CRC-8 or CRC-32 is entered, the System logs do not show any errors using either Hackintool or the Terminal command log show --last boot | grep Thunderbolt > ~/Documents/TB3.txt. Nor, do I see either ThunderboltNHI or IOThunderboltFamily.

While I can easily calculate the proper CRC-8, I am unable to derive the correct CRC32_C checksum. Is this due to platform differences X299 vs Z390, or am I missing something else?
We had a long discussion about this a couple days ago. One of my systems has the problem problem; the other does not. Never figured out why. Fortunately, once CRC32_C has been calculated for a particular card or motherboard, it does not change. If you need a CRC32_C calculated for you, just post the DROM string starting from Byte 14. The first 13 bytes are not used for CRC32_C.

Motherboard
GA Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3-RP05-PORT7-GC-ALPINE-RIDGE.aml
    2 KB · Views: 57
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ ,
Had a random late night/stoned thought, could part of ThunderboltConfig be the security level of the device? It was my understanding that for most add-in-card the TB3 header cable needed to be attached to set security/legacy settings etc in bios. Or is this is already handled with the custom firmware flash?

Motherboard
GA-Z390-Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 590
Thanks for your answer. But if I "can pick up a 2.5" SSD SATA drive", should I be worried by the M2M and M2P slot issue ?
I'm not sure what you mean by the "slot issue". In any case, installing Windows while your Mac drive is installed, Windows will mess with the Clover folder and the next time you boot it will boot straight into Windows. You can fix that but it's a lot easier to remove your Mac drive before installing windows.

If you mean that some of the SATA ports are disabled when you have drives in one or both of the NVMe slots, you can find that info in the instruction manual. However, unless all your SATA ports are full already, you can find several that will be active even when your Mac drive is installed.