[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9 10980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
  • Good -- do not update Clover yet.
  • Booting from USB install disk might also fail, but please try it first.
  • If you cannot boot from USB install disk, then first try this:
    • Remove USB install disk.
    • Reboot computer.
    • At Clover Boot Menu, press space bar, then use arrow keys to move down to Verbose and press space bar to toggle it on. Then press ESC to go back to Clover Boot Menu.
    • Put your smartphone into video capture mode. Start capture video of the computer screen.
    • Select the normal option to "Boot macOS from Mojave" and capture the whole thing with your smart phone.
    • When kernel panic occurs, stop video recording. Then scrub the frames of the video until you get to the point just before the kernel panic. Grab and post those screenshots.

• Yes I can boot from the USB

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
  • I do not recommend partitioning the NVMe between MacOS and Windows.
  • One of the tips in the spoiler says this:
    View attachment 455530
  • If there are any macOS drives in the system, Windows will not install.
  • So you cannot put macOS and Windows on the same disk.

Thank you for your answer. I did not know that it was not recommended to install Windows and Mac side by side. So I will buy another SSD to install W10 on it. How can I procede to donate some money to you in order to express my gratitude to your amazing job ?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
*** Repository of Patched Thunderbolt Firmware Files ***
Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.​

As more and more Thunderbolt controllers are patched for enhanced compatibility with macOS, we'll add them to this consolidated repository. These files have been tested to varying degrees, but we cannot guarantee perfection. If you encounter issues with a patched firmware, please characterize the problem and report it in this thread with supporting data.

Caution:
  • Patching your firmware incurs risk of damage. If you choose to patch your firmware, be fully aware of this possibility.
  • You and you alone are responsible for your decisions and actions. If you damage your board as a result of following any information provided in this thread or this forum, the liability is yours alone.
  • We make no promises that the patched firmware will work in your particular system.
  • We do not recommend taking the firmware from Device/Model X and flashing it into a different Device/Model Y.
  • After flashing, Thunderbolt may not work fully under Windows and Linux. It may be necessary to boot to macOS first, then warm boot to Windows and Linux.
  • After flashing a PCIe Add-in-Card, it is often necessary to boot macOS and then warm boot again in order for the card to work properly (but not perfectly). Flashed on-board controllers, however, generally do not need to be warm rebooted.
Patching Guides:
ThunderboltDROM Customization Guides:

This should be done after firmware has been patched. These links also contain sample Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDTs.

Note: As of 24 October 2020 there is a new single Thunderbolt DROM guide for all of these motherboards and add-in-cards, located here.

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING FLASHED GC-TITAN RIDGE CARDS:
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support both USB and Thunderbolt hosts will not work with the flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
    • Examples:
      • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support only Thunderbolt hosts will work with flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
    • Examples:
      • OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock
      • CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock
  • However, the flashed on-board controller of (a) Z390 Designare, (b) Z490 Vision D, and (c) B550 Vision D supports both types of devices.

Repository of Patched Firmware Files:

Device / Model Thunderbolt Firmware File Name Comment
Gigabyte Designare Z390 and B550 Vision D Motherboards DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin On-board Titan Ridge
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme Motherboard Z390-AORUS-XTREME-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin On-board Titan Ridge
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Motherboard Gigabyte-Vision-D-NVM-50-Elias64Fr-CaseySJ.bin On-board Titan Ridge
Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge v1.0 add-in-card GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin
TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin
PCIe card V1.0 (before Jul 2020)
Big Sur 11.3 onwards requires TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin
Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge v2.0 add-in-card GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin PCIe card V2.0 (since Jul 2020)
Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge add-in-card 1. GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V1-Elias64Fr.bin
2. GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V2-Elias64Fr.bin
3. GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin
PCIe card
Some issues were reported with
V1 and V2. Try V3 by @NorthAmTransAm.
May need to jump pins 3 and 5 instead
of connecting to THB_C header.
Asus UX550 laptop ASUS-UX550-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin On-board (Alpine Ridge?)
Intel NUC Hades Canyon:
1. Model NUC8i7HNK
2. Model NUC8i3BEH
NUC8i7HNK.zip. This contains:
1. NUC8i7HNKpatched.bin
2. SSDT-TbtOnPCH-Intel-NUC.aml
This applies to both NUC models listed in first column.
Credit: @dgsga and Osy86
Asus ThunderboltEX-3 (Alpine Ridge) ASUS-THUNDERBOLT-EX-3.zip. This contains:
1. AlpineRidgeEX3-NVM18-NATA.bin
2. AlpineRidgeEX3-NVM26-NATA.bin
3. SSDT-TBOLT3-RP21-ASUS-TB-EX3.aml
PCIe Card
Use NVM18 for Rev B boards.
Use NVM26 only for Rev C boards.
Adapt the SSDT to the root port of your system.
Credit: @NorthAmTransAm (NATA)
Asus ThunderboltEX-3 TR (Titan Ridge) ASUS-ThunderboltEX-3-TR-NVM56-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin.
PCIe Card
Adapt the SSDT to the root port of your system.
Credit: @etc for extracting firmware
ASRock Z390 and Z370 ITX/ac ASROCK_Z390_ITX_NVM20_MOD-Elias64Fr.bin This applies to:
1. ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac
2. ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
In BIOS, set Thunderbolt Usb Support to Enabled
Credit: @Elias64Fr @mango1122
ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen Lenovo-X1-Carbon-NVM-43-MOD-1-CaseySJ.bin This applies to:
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen Laptop
In BIOS, disable "BIOS Assist" mode. May need to use
Thunderbolt 3 Unblocker to allow certain devices such
as Dell Thunderbolt Dock to connect.
Reference (@contemporarygary)
ASRock Z490 ITX/ac ASRock-itx/tb3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin.bin This applies to:
ASRock Z490 ITX/ac
ASRock Z490 ITX/ac uses a single port Titan Ridge Low Power (LP) chip with device ID 0x15e7.
Credit: @dgsga
Asus ZenBook Pro laptop ASUS_UX550GE_TB3-CASEY-MOD-1.bin This applies to:
Asus ZenBook Pro UX550GE
Asus ZenBook Pro UX580GE

Attachments

• ASUS-UX550-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin.zip
    115 KB · Views: 229
  • DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin.zip
    268.6 KB · Views: 998
  • GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V1-Elias64Fr.bin.zip
    146.7 KB · Views: 355
  • GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM20-V2-Elias64Fr.bin.zip
    146.7 KB · Views: 393
  • GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin.zip
    267.1 KB · Views: 810
  • Z390-AORUS-XTREME-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin.zip
    268.6 KB · Views: 2,270
  • NUC8i7HNK.zip
    299.9 KB · Views: 316
  • ASUS-THUNDERBOLT-EX-3.zip
    430.6 KB · Views: 438
  • ASROCK_Z390_ITX_NVM20_MOD-Elias64Fr.bin.zip
    213.6 KB · Views: 2,783
  • GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin.zip
    295.7 KB · Views: 429
  • Gigabyte-Vision-D-NVM-50-Elias64Fr-CaseySJ.bin.zip
    276.1 KB · Views: 435
  • GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin.zip
    276.2 KB · Views: 572
  • Lenovo-X1-Carbon-NVM-43-MOD-1-CaseySJ.bin.zip
    229.7 KB · Views: 128
  • ASRock-itx:tb3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin.zip
    276.2 KB · Views: 139
  • ASUS_UX550GE_TB3-CASEY-MOD-1.bin.zip
    115.7 KB · Views: 53
  • ASUS-ThunderboltEX-3-TR-NVM56-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin.zip
    443.6 KB · Views: 62
  • TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin.zip
    267.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9700K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
If you don't need the blazing speed of a PCI-e NVMe drive for your Windows installation, you can pick up a 2.5" SSD SATA drive in the size of your choice fairly inexpensively. You'll also need a bracket or a sled for installing a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bay. Or, if the M.2 slot in the Designare (I have a different mobo) supports a SATA M.2 drive, you could pick up one of those for a little more than a 2.5" SSD SATA.

Then temporarily remove your Catalina drive, install whatever new drive you purchase, and boot from the windows installer. If you haven't created a Windows 10 install USB yet, and, if you have a PC, google something like "create windows 10 installer". It's a very simple process. If you have no PC, then google something like "create Windows 10 installer on macOS". You'll come up with several guides to choose from.

When Windows is installed, reinstall the Catalina drive, and Windows SHOULD appear as another boot choice on the Clover screen.

Thanks for your answer. But if I "can pick up a 2.5" SSD SATA drive", should I be worried by the M2M and M2P slot issue ?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  • Yes I can boot from the USB
Great! That means something might be wrong with the EFI partition of the internal Mojave SSD.
  • Please mount EFI partition of Mojave SSD.
  • Compress and upload the CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before compressing and uploading the CLOVER folder. Be sure to keep the original config.plist safe.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
@CaseySJ Hello Mate, could you give US 1-2 SSD 2,5’ compatible with this hardware config to do a Backup ?
The one linked into The Buyers guide are quite expensive with 1TB, have you got some cheap ? Could you give us what you use ?
I can remember you gave us advice about some cheap SSD case but can’t find them back.
Could you put the link back ?

Thank you very much!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ So I have tried to backup the firmware (TB3 on Z390 Designare) now via flashrom. When trying with Raspberry Pi I had the LEDs red instantly, when using the USB programmer a bit of wiggling was necessary. BUT: In both cases I get:
"No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically."

Any idea what to do?

Motherboard
GA Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Glad to see you got it working. Please post any issues you find with Thunderbolt and USB functionality or reliability. (But also mention that you're using GC-Alpine Ridge.)

OK, after some tests comparing with thunderbolt on my MacBook Pro 15.1 using this device (iStyle MULTIMEDIA HUB 2019):
Captură de ecran din 2020-03-20 la 14.47.35.png

I can say:
1. All ports work on GC-Alpine Ridge: 2 thunderbolt (USB-C), HDMI, 2 mini displayport, except USB-2.
2. All ports work on iStyle MULTIMEDIA HUB (HDMI, micro and normal SD, USB-3, gigabit ethernet) except USB-2 and USB-C port (both USB-2 and 3).
Question: How can I enable USB-2 HUB on GC-Alpine Ridge and why USB-C port on iStyle doesn't work?

Motherboard
X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9 10980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Great! That means something might be wrong with the EFI partition of the internal Mojave SSD.
  • Please mount EFI partition of Mojave SSD.
  • Compress and upload the CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before compressing and uploading the CLOVER folder. Be sure to keep the original config.plist safe.

Here you go...

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 125
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming WiFi
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac